“Wish I could give a minus score...” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Indian River Motel & Cottages

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Indian River
Indian River Motel & Cottages
You added Indian River Motel & Cottages to your Saves list
4148 Sturgeon Street, Indian River, MI 49749   |
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Indian River
Northern Illinois
“Wish I could give a minus score...”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2005

I found the same stuff as the first review so no sense repeating that. (We really had a laugh because we read the first review AFTER we came back from the UP of Michigan.)

My wife and I went to Indian River so that I could officiate a wedding at The Cross in the Woods Church. (If you ever get a chance you should see this National Shrine. It is beautiful!) Anyway, back to the motel review. When we first saw it, it was raining and the first thing that came to my mind was the Bates Motel from the movie "Pyscho". Either that or Dracula's castle. It was dark and dank, smelled bad and had a really depressing atmosphere, If I was suicidal, that would have put me over the edge. In spite of the fact that the owner said the room had two queen beds, they were "full" sized. I am 6'1" and my feet hung well over the edge. I slept in the fetal position for two complete nights. The mattresses were old and you felt the sag in the middle so that is where we both ended up. The ceilings were old. stained, water damaged and sagging and the bathroom paint was pealing badly from all the moisture that had no place to go. The towels, BOTH of them, were the smallest I had ever seen. They looked like oversized hand towels and very thin at that. There was no continental breakfast (not even any coffee...he said he made it only in the morning between 8am and 10am) so we went to the local haunt for breakfast and paid $12.50 for cereal, milk, and coffee. The cost of the room was $60. and should have been around $20.

We were scheduled for three nights and the last night we escaped and went to a Holiday Inn Express, with a swimming pool and sauna for $72.00 a night, including a continental breakfast. You ask, "why didn't they go to the Holiday Inn in the first place?" Because the internet ad for Indian River Motel made it sound so great!

I could go on and on, but for your sake let me just say I wish I would have read the first review before booking the stay, so do yourself a favor and skip this "adventure".

In conclusion, everything to do with the wedding was "absolutely wonderful" and everything to do with this motel was "absolutely dreadful".

• Stayed August 2005

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2005

Oh my heavens! This is certainly a _cute_ looking motel and cottage assortment, that I am sure everyone has seen as they cross the brief bridge on the way to see the neat Cross in the Woods Catholic shrine just down the road. The nice trees trees, cozy putting green and all that......disguised the terrible run-down shape of the place.

One of the owners pretended not to speak English so that he could avoid talking to customers, while the wife, who seems to run the place, just complained and whined the entire time about how frustrating it was to run the place. It was not pleasant.

We looked at both the cabins and the motel rooms. The cabins were quite old and worn down, but did have some nice views of the charming little river flowing through town since they were only feet away. However, we ended up staying in the motel rooms because of the high cost of the cabins (~$95).

The hotel rooms were the single worst motel rooms my wife and I have ever seen or been in. I am even including the $22/night shack we stayed at in 1993 in St. Ignace during our honeymoon – that ran out of water half-way through our shower! (Maybe we were still blindly in love?)

All of the furnishings are vintage 50’s era worn down junk that wouldn’t pass muster at a homeless shelter. However, the worst thing was the floor, which was a bizarre and unique experience. There were huge rotten holes all around the flooring which were “bridged” by the carpet. It was as if the wood had completely rotted away from beneath the carpet. I have truly never experienced anything like this, even when gutting old houses with my dad years ago. It was really creepy. Of course, we asked for another room, it was getting late at night, our two young kids were getting cranky, our youngest was lying down on the floor and sidewalk in a prelude to sleep. The lady manager tosses me a key to another room, telling me “no one has ever had a complaint like that before.” Right. The next room wasn’t as bad, but ALSO had these “soggy parts,” and also reeked of smoke. By this time, I didn’t want to confront the “owner from hell” any more, and so we just kept our original room.

The irony was that we had just come from camping up in the UP, and our campsite (we tent) was more comfortable in every way, our inflatable mattress was even more comfortable than the crunchy (you know how they get when they get really old?) mattress in the motel room.

If we had a big family that wanted to go fishing for a week, the cabins might be worth it, otherwise this place made our personal family record of “worst room ever” and almost made the record of “surliest service ever,” and by the OWNER yet. Stay away from here until there is new management.

Been to Indian River Motel & Cottages? Share your experiences!