“Basic Motel” 3 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Comfort Inn to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
Comfort Inn
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   200 Cloverleaf Lane, Houghton Lake, MI 48629 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express Houghton Lake)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #7 of 14 hotels in Houghton Lake
Novi, Michigan
“Basic Motel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stayed for a night in the Comfort Inn Houghton Lake. This is your basic motel, nothing fancy here. The room was reasonably clean but showed signs of possible water damage. The desk had a broken leg, and the beds were lumpy. Breakfast room was small and crowded.
The location is good- just off Hwy 127 and about 2 blocks from the lake. The other hotel by the lake Comfort Suites seemed to much newer and cleaner. Surprisingly, the room rates are on the high side for a basic motel.
Overall ok to stay here for a night as there are not too many choices in the Houghton lake area.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

48 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Topeka, Kansas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

I was here for business, and to be honest, the proximity (or lack thereof) of the nearby lake was of no consequence to me. Driving around this town, it's obvious that this town is pretty much reliant on it's lake for any business activity that it has. I mention this, solely because it helps to put things in perspective here.

I have said in the past that when judging quality, one must look at the price range... you don't judge a Mazda and a Maserati by the same standards. Well, this hotel's price structure puts it far closer to the Maserati than the Mazda in my book, so it gets the tough criteria, and that doesn't help.

I always book ground floor rooms, and because it's not always clear what rooms are ground floor from the reservation system, I always add "Ground Floor Room, Please!" to all my reservation notes, even if the room specifically states that it's a ground room. I have mobility issues, compounded with the fact that I have a large dolly full of stuff that I need to bring in for the night... and this doesn't work well with stairs.

Well, I check in, and get assigned what appears to be a room on the second floor. I don't react yet, because I've seen hotels that use this schema without them actually having it on the second floor. I ask for directions, go take a look, and when it becomes obvious that this is, indeed, on the second floor, I go to check for the existence of an elevator... there is none. Not entirely pleased with this turn of events, I asked why I was booked on the second floor, when my reservation specifically called for first floor... I was told that "the type of room I booked only exists on the second floor".

Huh? Well, I really don't care, I need that ease of access... didn't think to bring that up at the check-in process?

I must say, the gal at the front desk, to her credit, did immediately book me in a ground floor room once I specifically asked to do this in person, and I was off.... to the far end of the building.

Which brings up beef #2... this building has only one internet router that I could find a signal for, and it was apparently located on the OTHER end of the building. Neither my laptop nor my smart phone could connect to it from my room. I could connect with either in the lobby, but nowhere near my room.

I do a lot of work on the internet supporting my customers, and planning out the next leg of my trip. Having functionally no internet for this stay was very much a pain in the posterior.

Minor issues were an obvious lack of fine detail on maintenance... the lamp in my room was just barely keeping from falling over (needed to be tightened up quite a bit), the security features on the door made it apparent that this door had been kicked in at some point in the recent past (the torn metal was a dead giveaway for this), the carpeting in the room had...lets just say "issues" near the doors (related to the kick in?).

No fridge, no microwave. TV did work, as did the closed captions... thank goodness for small favors I suppose.

The ice machine worked, and without any silly little signs on it. Of course, though, it was in... the other side of the building.

The far end of the building had visible security features that were obviously a joke... the doors had obvious locks on them that never engaged. I never had to pull out my card to enter one of these doors, they were always holding a few inches to a foot away from the door frame, seemingly a combination of air pressure outwards along with doors that didn't have the snap back that they should have. This isn't as much of an issue for me as it is for others, but I felt it worth mentioning.

My overall impression of this place was that of a hotel that really didn't face much in the way of effective competition, so it doesn't try harder. At all. This town has a lot of "lakeside villas" in it, and no prices advertised to passersby, so you -know- they are raking the customers. The sad thing was, even at $80 some odd a night with a discount code, this was -still- the least expensive hotel room I could book for this town.

Well, all I can say is that I am glad that I will never feel the need to come back to this burg again... so I won't be subjected to this again.

Two things would have turned this into a much better review... lower prices (something more akin to the service provided) and working internet... you know, just add ONE MORE ROUTER somewhere? Perhaps on the opposite end of the building where your first one was?

Before I stayed here, I stayed two weeks in a Super 8 that was literally half the cost, had PERFECT internet service (literally the best that I have ever had in a hotel at ANY price), and they knew how to properly book my room as per my requests. Oh, and nothing looked like it was about to give up the ghost and fall over.

Meh.

Room Tip: If you want internet service, be sure to book as close to the front desk as you can.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Portage, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012 via mobile

Good location, fair price, and friendly service, but falls short in most other areas. The shower had almost zero pressure, pool was closed, monitor on lobby computer broken, forgot to service room one day. Also the fitness area was nearly unusable.

The comfort suites nearby is owned by same company, so I would imagine it suffers from same lack of upkeep and attention to detail.

All in all, this property is acceptable due to fair price, but not really a enjoyable stay.

Stayed March 2012
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011 via mobile

This hotel is clean, easy on and off and is convenient to town. The pool area is nice and the breakfast was good. Friendly staff and fair rates. Nothing at at to complain about. Kids liked the pool alot. Rooms were modern and spacious.

• Stayed November 2011
Deerfield Michigan 49238
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

We spent the night of October 11,2011 and had a very good experience. The room was very clean and the motel as a whole was very neat and clean. NO BEDBUGS!!! The workers were helpful and pleasant. The morning buffet had very thing that you would want to eat and a very nice variety. The food was also hot and the room where it was served very clean. The only concerned was that they could use some new flags and the weeds should be removed from around entrance. The first impression is important. All in all the visit was satisfactory and we would return .

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Saint-Constant, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

we stayed here 19 and 20 August. staff was responsive to requests to turn room after the first night. cost of rooms were reasonable. i would utilize this hotel again when staying in the area.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Comfort Inn? Share your experiences!