“Best vacation ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Houghton Lake
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best vacation ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I spent my vacation with my classmates. We Just wanted to stay away from Boston for a while. It was like my heaven on the earth indeed. Nice location, friendly staffs with outstanding service, great day activities. Loved loved it! :)

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

This is my first time here!! And I'm so impressed! And happy! ! The people who work here are so nice and friendly! There are a lot of outdoor type things to do around here! It's a great place to have a rest. I Never get bored being here! i have So much fun spending my vacation here!

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We visited this resort again, this time over the 4th of July. There have been more upgrades since last year and we rented a pontoon and a ski boat. The pontoon was a newly refurbished boat and it was very nice. We took a trip around the whole lake at a slow pace and it took the majority of a day. We rented their Sea Ray ski boat another day and took the kids tubing and skiing. They gave us skis and the tube for one price. We did a bit of damage to the prop leaving the Limberlost with the prop all the way down. They charged me half the cost of a rebuild and said they could probably get another use out of it. I took a picture of it before we left and it didnt have a mark. It was my bad. The firepit was new and the cabins were decorated much nicer than last year. My wife loved all the little plants and pictures. We were in a cabin and it was very clean and well kept. The office manager is very friendly as was the staff. They looked in on us every day. When we came in with the boats they asked us to call so they could meet us. They dragged us into the dock slips to help us and prevent dock rash. They gassed us up while eating lunch and sent us on our way again. The owner was there helping a guest with a waverunner on Saturday. I'm not sure what he did but i did see a high-five between him and the guest and then the guest was off on his Seadoo. Nice people, nice place. We will be back again, maybe before summer is over. We did hear the same guest that James W mentioned "JanetD". We were glad to see them removed from the property and the owner apologized for them. I heard some awful language come from her mouth and she was drunk and disgusting. This is a family place and we can understand why they were removed. Take her review with a grain of salt.

Room Tip: We were in a cabin without air conditioning. They have air in some cabins but during our stay it was...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Lake Orion, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Wife, Two kids age 4 and 10weeks and I visited American Oak Resort for 4th of July Week 2014. We had a great time at the resort. Their are two levels of accommodations Chalets and Rustic Cabins. We stayed in the rustic cabins and they were just like every other cabin I have rented on most lakes, knotty pine walls, small bedrooms, everything works and of course you are supposed to be outside at the lake so lets talk about that.

The beach is awesome. Its sandy and shallow for 100ft great for a 4 year old. He could play and run without worry of getting in deep water. There were also lots of children to play with on both sides of the private beach. We rented a boat to go fish and hang out on the water. They also have volleyball and a swing set for kids.

We would return to the resort again as it is great for the young family we have. I would be cautious of the review of JanetD. We stayed at the resort at the same time as her and the altercations she caused were a nightmare. I was very relieved when she left the resort. It was definitely a safer place without them.

Vacation is what you make it. The staff of the resort was very responsive to the few issues we had and corrected them immediately.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Gladwin, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

My wife and I and 2 other couples came here for the weekend to originally ride the rental quads they have. We and the one couple don't own quads so we rented, the other couple had their own. We all stayed in a chalet (2 bedroom with loft). Rode quads all day came back to relax on the deck and ended up watching a movie at the outdoor theatre right there on the property, it was great. The next day instead of quads we decided to rent their wave runners. What a great weekend. We will be back for sure this summer and have already booked a weekend in the winter for snowmobiling (they rent those too). Everything u need or want right here on one property. Thank You American Oak

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Great place to take the kids. My girlfriend and I stayed here. Can't say enough good things about the front desk service and the owner was so nice to us. The rooms in the resort are a lot of nicer than I expected. We're definitely coming back to this place again.

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Really friendly and helpful staff. Location was excellent!
Met many nice people from all over. We stayed for three nights, and this is the place to stay in Houghton Lake. If you want a relaxing break from it all. We were greeted with a smile, we loved everything about this place and can't wait to plan our next trip. We'll definitely be staying here again when we return to Houghton Lake.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
awjens, Manager at American Oak Resort, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for coming, we will continue to make improvements to earn your business. Please check our site again for specials and updates.

American Oak Resort Team

Been to American Oak Resort? Share your experiences!