“Friendly and really helpful staff, we'll be back!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw

You added Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1110 Century Way, M-26 & Sharon Avenue, Houghton, MI 49931   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Houghton
Certificate of Excellence 2014
LA
“Friendly and really helpful staff, we'll be back!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Houghton Holiday Inn Express in July 2011. We originally planned on a one-night stay. However, the staff (Kim and Carla) thoughtfully pointed out the morning that we were supposed to leave (by plane) that the inbound flight the night before had not arrived (Houghton has a small airport and there is only one evening flight). This meant that we might not get out, because that aircraft was supposed to be used for our flight. It turned out that they were right! Our flight was oversold because of the cancelled flight and we got bumped, but thanks to Kim and Carla we were prepared -- the value of local knowledge and thoughtful customer service! So, we stayed a second night, which was actually fine because the weather was great and we didn't mind another day on the beautiful Keweenaw peninsula. The room had fairly standard decor but was very clean and comfortable. We especially liked the new, upgraded bedding and pillows on our king bed. And, the in-room jacuzzi was very nice. The only thing that we didn't like was not the hotel's fault; the hotel is near a huge and ugly parking lot on one side. But, our windows faced the back, toward a rocky hill, and so we had total privacy and quiet. And even above and beyond the help with our flight, the staff -- espcially Kim, Carla and Kyle -- were super-friendly and helpful. So, we can definitely recommend Holiday Inn Express Houghton!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

I have stayed at several Holiday Inn Express hotels in the past year, and overall had a very good experience. At this particular hotel, the staff was friendly and the room was ok, but I have a few issues with it being rated #1.

First of all, there was MOLD all over the wall in the bathroom. Gross. There was also mold all along the window near the air conditioner. This hotel is one of the newer ones in Houghton, and I would not expect to see it looking so run down. Also, the towels that we had in-room were ratty, with fraying edges. Seriously, now, for $100/night I expect better than ratty towels and moldy walls. Also, our view was of a rock wall; you look out the window and all you see is black rocks. I understand that the location of the hotel determines this view, and we spent hardly any time in the room anyway (too busy exploring the Keweenaw).

Also, while breakfast was on time, every other Holiday Inn Express I've stayed at provided some kind of meat (be it sausage or bacon), but we spent three nights here and never saw any meat on the breakfast board. They did, however, have the usual eggs, pancakes, etc.

I probably won't be staying here again, there are nicer or at least as good hotels near by that have better views, and you can always go get a delicious cheap breakfast at Suomi Cafe downtown anyway.

Comstock Park, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2011

We stopped here on our trip across the UP to North Dakota. Friendly, helpful staff...good breakfast except for pancake machine was out of service. Bathroom shower was noisy/squeaky when you stood in it to shower but other than that....awesome place!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

The staff here was very friendly. The rooms are very clean and overall the hotel is modern and updated. We were enjoying the area most of the time so we didn't hang out a lot in the room. I went running in the morning and there were plenty of beautiful roads along the lake for a great run close to the hotel.

Marquette, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

I stayed at the HIE in Houghton while visiting some friends for a night. I honestly didn't spend a lot of time there other than sleeping - so here's my impressions on what I did experience:

Check-in was quick and friendly. The person working was trying to be very helpful about the area but I was already very familiar so didn't need much help. Check out the same.

The room I had was on the second floor, and was clean but smelled of smoke. It had a view of a solid rock wall behind it, so not much of one. I would expect the front rooms had a nice view of the furniture store or Perkins so not scenic compared to the hotels in town.

The amenities in the room - air conditioner, shower, tv all worked fine. Good water pressure, liked the sink outside of the bathroom. Has a fridge which I used and kept things nice and cold.

Bed was comfortable, linens were good - not too thin and not much of a chlorine smell. Good pillows.

Some things that I didn't care for were the location, it's a ways from town and the taxi service is spotty so if you're going out to have a few drinks (as we were) you need a sober driver or have to rely on the taxi service. The Sunday breakfast is done by 9:30, which to me is an hour too early. There was a smoky smell in the room that I didn't care for, but after I didn't notice it. Parking is interesting, you share part of the lot with the furniture store or I guess there's a lot on the end of the building.

I didn't check out the pool, but it has one, and since I was up too late I missed breakfast on Sunday.

I'd stay there again in a pinch, but prefer to be within walking distance to downtown and there are many choices that are available to do that.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Rhinelander, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011

Stayed here for one night with my husband, daughter and our 2 very tiny grandsons. Nice, clean well-appointed property. Staff was pleasant, friendly and accomodating. Pool and fitness area was clean and well maintained. Breakfast was tasty and well-stocked. We arrived early and they were wonderful about getting us checked in quickly, even though they were fully booked -they even had the baby crib all set up. Refrigerator in room was great for baby's food and snacks. Nice, thick fluffy towels and comfy beds. Cookies, donuts, coffee and hot chocolate was a nice late afternoon touch. Good location also. Honestly, absolutely no complaints.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

Very nice hotel. Very accomodating and the breakfast was very nice. Centrally located to reach all the snowmobiling destinations. Plenty of local restaurants to go to that are very close to the hotel and very close to a Walmart or ShopKo and a grocery store, in case you forgot something. Definitely will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Holiday Inn Express Houghton - Keweenaw? Share your experiences!