“Pleasantly surprised” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Simpsonville, South Carolina
“Pleasantly surprised”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2014

It had been several years since I'd eaten at this restaurant on the 7th floor of the Franklin Square Inn. Despite having drinks before dinner at the bar most nights, we usually walk to other nearby restaurants for dinner. After a long day, and with blizzard-like conditions outside, we decided to stay for dinner on the bar side of the restaurant. We were pleasantly surprised - the salmon was tasty and the service was fast and friendly. The view is great from the 7th floor (when you can see through the snow), and they have live music on the weekends.

• Visited January 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Escanaba, Michigan
“Disgusted!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

My only time eating in the restaurant was a night during Winter Carnival. I ordered a filet medium rare. After waiting more than an hour and a half to get our food, my filet came out well, like REALLY well. It was so tough I could barely chew the first bite. I really was polite and asked for a new filet (if I am paying $40 for a filet I would like it to be a good one) cooked rare. The waiter brought me out the filet (the same over cooked one) about two minutes later saying the chef told him that this filet was rare (with a big slice down the middle). There wasnt even any pink in the middle. I was sitting at a table of eight and my friends were shocked too. So I again politely just said, no thank you, that I didn't want this filet. So he brought it back to the kitchen (he was fantastic, btw) and then within 10 minutes came back with a RAW piece of meat on a plate. It wasn't rare, it was completely raw and cold. Of course this was not only disgusting, but insulting.

Yes, they were incredibly busy so you would think they would have more wait staff working the floor. Because it took us over an hour and a half to get our food we got to know our waiter pretty well (I don't drink, but my friends at my table were and he was super prompt at serving us, he even felt bad it was taking so long to get our food). It turned out our waiter was part of the band scheduled to play later and the owner threw him on as wait staff. It was his first time ever waiting tables and we were in a party of 40. He was the only server for our party. I've waited tables before... Why on earth would you put a kid on a group of 40 his first night waiting tables, especially on a busy night? He did well and was very friendly despite the circumstances.

I live the the U.P. and can honestly say I will NEVER go back there to eat. It was the worst restaurant experience I've ever had.

• Visited February 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing Food, great service and awesome view ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

So you know you drive all day and finally get to your hotel and hope that the good is good because you are so hungry and tired. Well you will be so glad you came here because the good is so delicious and the staff is just friendly and accommodating with 2 young kids!! We lived it so much we are dinner almost every night there !!! This place is a Gem!!
And they even have great alive music on the weekend (Friday - Saturday ) maybe more night but I only remember those 2 !!!
Take the recommendations from the waitress they know there good there !!!