“Thought it wouldn't be much--boy, was I wrong!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 7 Attractions in Houghton
Type: Museums
Glenwood, Illinois
26 attraction reviews
“Thought it wouldn't be much--boy, was I wrong!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was on the campus to take pictures of the football field when I stumbled onto this gem (pun intended) of a place! I lucked out and was there on a free day, too, so I even saved a few bucks. Not somewhere to spend an entire day, but a good place to roam around for an hour or two. In the back was a blacklight room that had some interesting minerals that sparkled quite brightly in the light. A lot was also there that dealt with the history of the area. I recommend everyone visiting this museum.

Visited July 2013

Madison, WI
9 attraction reviews
“Impressive collection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

This museum far exceeded my expectations of a mineral museum. There were so many specimens that my friends and I didn't have time to see them all. I especially enjoyed the exhibits that showed items made from various metals and minerals--very eduational!
My friends and I received a discount because we were attending a mineral retreat in the area. A great place for adults and children alike!

Rhinelander, Wisconsin
6 attraction reviews
“Impressive!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

This is a world-class museum with a dazzling array of specimens. Brand new building. Everything first-rate.

Oshkosh, Wisconsin
20 attraction reviews
“Rocks and Minerals”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

This museum has a huge selection of rocks and minerals exhibited. It is very interesting and laid out well. Eventually, they plan on moving up by the Quincy Mine from what I've read which will be much more convenient than trying to find it up in the hills of the city. The gift shop is very nice with a great selection and display of handiwork made from rocks and minerals. We enjoyed it. Allow a couple of hours.

Chicago, Illinois
13 attraction reviews
“I am just an amateur”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have never been into rocks . . at all. You walk in and it is $3 a person which is not bad at all for everything you can see! There are so many rocks you can not keep track of all the names. My favorite was the dinosaur case. There was a fossilized dinosaur bone, egg, and reptiles that I am sure any person would love to see. You can also see diamonds that are "raw" or not cut at all. Very interesting place. And the back room has glow stones. Neat!