“Disappointing” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 194 Restaurants in Holland
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: For more than 25 years, Butch TerHaar has strived to create a place where people can celebrate the marriage of food and drink. Today, Butch's is one of fewer than 800 restaurants worldwide (and one of 10 in Michigan) to hold Wine Spectator's Best of Award of Excellence. Building on our exceptional wine and beer offerings, our menu is expressly designed to enhance the experience of enjoying food and drink together.
Lancaster, Ohio, United States
“Disappointing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

My husband and I have been Butch's fans since the beginning. We travel 4 hours to celebrate our anniversary and stay in Holland. We had reservations for 2 and were placed between 2 groups of business men who were quite loud. When I asked if we could sit at a quieter table and pointed one out, we were informed that it was being held for a reservation. No one filled the table for the 2 hours that we were there. The goat cheese/beet salad was very good. The house salad and dressing is still the best I've ever tasted. However, my salmon was over done. The food has always been fresh and inventive and still has exceptional quality. However, the service was unattentive and the attention to detail has gone down hill. We are no longer planning to make the 4 hour drive to celebrate in Holland. Gone are the days when the owner himself walked table to table to assure his patrons were having an exceptional experience. Butch's is still an excellent restaurant but has lost it's personal feeling.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
ButchTerHaar, Owner at Butch's, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear Cora36,

Although some time has passed, I would like to thank you for your feedback – I sincerely apologize for the disappointment you experienced and on such a special occasion. This is certainly not the type of memorable dining experience that we aim to deliver, nor what you are in the right to expect.

I understand that you are likely not planning a return visit to Butch’s, but I hope that you might reconsider. I would appreciate the opportunity to speak with you further about what we could do to make your next visit much more enjoyable (butch@butchs.net).

Once again, thank you for your feedback. I do hope we have the opportunity to serve you once again and create a truly memorable experience for you and your husband.

Warm regards,

Butch TerHaar
Owner

“Exquisite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

We had a 5 star meal at Butch's this evening! I had the crab cakes which were all crab and almost no filler. Delicious! My husband had the vegetable lasagna which was outstanding! We shared the lava cake and it was decadent and tasted very homemade.

The staff was friendly and professional. The atmosphere was classy but not snooty. The tables were fairly spaced so you didn't feel on top of other patrons.

We will definitely go back when we come to Holland again!

Visited July 2013
Ada, Mi
“Relax on the deck at the drydock”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

A Thursday night in Holland. Street Artist abound. Walk in with no reservation an immediately seated. We chose the deck since it was a beautiful evening. We were looking for lighter fare and found an excellent menu variety. We both started wi cocktails. Sangria for my wife and a Mojito for me. My wife has become use to weak Sangria in the past and was surprised by the amount of wine. My Mojito was one of the best that I've had at a restaurant. They actually muddled the line and mint. A pomme frites for appetizer. Crispy but not burnt. Delicious. My wife got the crab cakes and I the lobster quesadilla. I think hers was the better dish. The quesadilla was more of a grilled tortilla wrapped around the lobster. We both opted for dessert. She got a lemon torte and I the flour less chocolate cake. Both were delicious.
Our server was pleasant but seemed slightly distracted, likely by the large table she also had to cover.
Overall I think we would return to Butch's.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We had the best waitress...very knowledgeable, not over-bearing, but attentive. Our meal was excellent and the presentation was over the top. She recommended wine selections, and appetizers - all in all a great experience - will visit again.

Visited June 2013
“Less than we had hoped for”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

Went to Butch's after reading and hearing good things. The atmosphere was nice, but a bit stuffy. The food was a big let down. Three dip appetizer was acceptable but not great. The rolls were heavy. My salad was more of a lettuce soup with the amount of dressing they used. I had the chicken which was very tender but the sauce was quite salty. The fish in the fish tacos was charred and not pleasantly seasoned. Our waitress was great but got busy as the restaurant got a little busier... Overall, not somewhere we would go again or recommend to others...

• Visited May 2013