“In a State of Transition ...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Holland Inn & Suites

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Holland Inn & Suites to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Holland Inn & Suites
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2888 West Shore Drive, Holland, MI 49424 (Formerly Holland Inn & Suites)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #13 of 18 Hotels in Holland
DeWitt, Michigan
“In a State of Transition ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

We picked this hotel because it was centrally located to the things we wanted to do during our three day trip to Holland. When we entered the lobby of the hotel, there was a strong smell of chlorine (pool is adjacent to lobby area) but I did not notice it anywhere else. The front desk staff was courteous and helpful. However, Management needs to pay better attention to details (i.e. plastic ware is used at breakfast but I had to use a fork to eat my cereal because they ran out of the plastic spoons - we were told there weren’t any spoons for the last two days). Plastic spoons did appear after I finally said something.
Our second floor room had a microwave, small fridge, and two comfortable queen-size beds (the pillows were too thick for my sleeping preference - but that is why I travel with my own pillow). No extra pillows or blankets are in the room but a request to the front desk did provide them. Changes were being made to the guest rooms (our room received a new shower head during our stay). However, when maintenance left our room, they did not close our room door completely. It was left ajar until we returned at 10:30pm. We were a little upset to find our room was not locked. Housekeeping seems to do the minimum required work... we had to ask them for a roll of toilet paper and another towel (2 queens - three people - two towels). The hotel is okay and maybe when the transition is complete things will improve.

Room Tip: Too much luggage? Hands full? Push the Handicap auto door button.
Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Huntington, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We enjoyed our stay for the "Tulip Festival." The staff was very friendly and helpful. A good location for tourists. We plan on returning again in the future. I recommend this festival and the Holland Inn for a quick getaway vacation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Louisville, Kentucky
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

The perceived value is not worth it. The rooms though clean had obviously been remodeled as their was still what appeared to be drywall dust on the floor. Not all of the phones were plugged in and there wasn't even a chair for the desk. It was obvious no one made sure that room was ready for occupancy. All of this could be overlooked until I returned home and found out that I was charged for 2 nights instead of 1 after making a change to my reservation and being assured all was OK. After calling 3 times to get the charge backed out, I have turned it over to the credit card company. As a previous reviewer stated, I would not stay here until the transition to Best Western has completed.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Jenison, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

This is my second review of this hotel; we stayed almost exactly three years ago when it was a Best Western. The Holland Inn & Suites is currently unaffiliated with BW, but is in the process of becoming a Best Western Plus (as of 2/17/14). In the meantime things are in a bit of flux, and I can't fully recommend the hotel until the BW+ changes are finished.

When I called for special pricing on getting two rooms, I was charged $10 above internet rack rate for the double-queen room. I have no excuse for not questioning that; I figured the freebies being thrown in made up for it (chocolate/wine/bubble bath). The goodies were offered with our King suite, but we had to inquire about them 3 times before receiving them, no one at the front desk took note that we were waiting on them.

We were disappointed to find that the workout room/gym/fitness center is currently completely closed. The pool and hot tub are open (24 hours, too!). The rooms are being re-carpeted, refurnished, and redecorated. One of our two rooms had a strong smoke smell "covered up" by strong cleaners. Towels were scarce in the King room. The television's HBO didn't get good enough reception to be watchable. The light above the sink/mirror didn't work. The desk didn't have a chair.

The continental breakfast buffet was sparse -- cream cheese but no bagels, instant oatmeal but no hot water, no danishes of any kind, no bananas, 2 kinds of dry cereal, waffle maker, some small donuts, English muffins with grape jelly or peanut butter, bread, some Activa yogurts, clemetines and apples, apple juice/oj, coffee. We went out for breakfast, which was not our original plan.

The 1st floor rooms open to the parking lot, but the doorways are not at all shoveled out (but the doors open in), and if you manage the snowbank to go into the room you'd be tracking snow all over their new carpet (no rug by the door to the outside). The grounds were littered with cans and other trash, and a lot of ice.

BUT the beds were very, very comfortable! The lobby is rustic, clean, and well-maintained. The front desk clerks were available, helpful, and friendly. The check-out process was smooth. The wireless service was good. Once the Best Western Plus changeover is complete, this will probably be a very nice place to stay in Holland, MI once again.

Room Tip: Ask in advance about amenities you are interested in during this transition to make sure what you wa...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Tulsa, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Made travel plans way ahead of time, as always, but when we got to Holland Inn, not only was our room NOT available, but we were told a lie about why. And it took a long time to find out why. Ever hear about a Michigan law requiring rooms be given to firefighters (especially when fighting a nonexistent fire - google search). To be fair after waiting a while, a foreigner came out and said he got us another room and we just needed to follow him. Scary right? We moved on to Muskegon and found a lovely room at Fairfield Inn. Nuff' said!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013 via mobile

We visited my hometown of Holland, MI and selected this "3-star" hotel. Holland prides itself on being a clean city. I'd been to this property years ago when it was a Best Western. At that time, it was decent. We checked in and entered our room and could not believe how run down and filthy it was. We went back to the front desk to try and get a refund. The manager insisted on upgrading us to the master suite. Exhausted from a long plane ride and a bit desperate, we took a look at it. It was just as bad. We cut our losses and left. As the old saying goes..."a picture is worth a thousand words".

• Stayed December 2013
Lake Zurich, Illinois
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2013

We've stayed here a couple times and this property represented reasonable accommodations for the price. Unfortunately our last planned visit was scrubbed due to a messy lake effect snow storm. Thinking the cancellation policy allowed me to cancel by 3pm, I called ten minutes to three and requested to cancel. After a little hesitation the clerk confirmed the cancellation. Great, except I subsequently received a voicemail stating the room could not be cancelled because their policy was 3PM and 24 hours before day of arrival. They're right - I had misread their policy. Still, I was irritated that I was initially told they cancelled the room and to top it off, I was double-charged for my missed night - an error they quickly promised to resolve.

Lesson for me - read hotel cancellation policies more carefully. Apparently the industry is moving away from the 6pm day of arrival policy.

To reiterate - this hotel is a fine place to stay for those looking for budget accommodations in Holland.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Holland Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!