“Not so dog friendly” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Holland
Chicago, IL
“Not so dog friendly”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2009

I booked my room on line because it was listed as a dog friendly hotel. Upon check in, I was told, for the first time, that there would be a $75 non-refundable pet fee. More than a nice dinner for two in Holland. I respect a dog fee, but don't think check-in is when it should be disclosed. We left and drove home forgoing the room charge because we were beyond the 4 pm cancellation time.

Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Fort Wayne IN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2008

This hotel is away from Holland by only a few minutes. it is very easy to get to and very clean and neat. The clerk at the front desk was very cordial and polite even though she was very busy much of the time. They serve a full breakfast as part of the room which had a lot of variety for everyone. There is a little patio outside with a gas grill and some patio chairs. There is also an indoor pool that looked very clean and inviting. We always like Residence Inn with their full kitchen and spacious rooms and this didn't disappoint. It was only a short freeway trip to Saugatuck. There are also several good restaurants nearby in Holland as well as several blocks of quaint shops, most of which have very reasonable prices.This is a nice place for a getaway weekend.

• Liked — roomy, full kitchen
  • Disliked — nothing really
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

This hotel is off the beaten path in Holland, but is really quite lovely. I would definitely stay here again on my next trip to Holland.

The hotel is new and clean and offers a nicely manicured property, although it is surrounded by newer industrial areas (more like white collar industrial, rather than blue collar). It is easy to get to places around Holland, although it is about a 15 minute drive to the beaches (Holland State Park or Tunnel Beach) (I recommend Tunnel Beach if you want to pay a little less and avoid larger crowds). There is nothing of interest immediately adjacent to the hotel, but there are restaurants and a movie theater within 5-10 minutes of the hotel.

Anyway, we had no problems whatsoever with our stay. The room was clean and nice, the amenities all worked great (internet, etc.), they had some great cookies baked in the dining area when we arrived in the afternoon, and the staff were all very friendly.

I would recommend this to anyone if you are looking for a decent, clean place to stay at an affordable price.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

I booked my stay at this hotel online in April 2008. I initially booked one room and three days later booked a second room for two nights. I received an e-mail confirmation when I initially booked and then one week prior for both rooms. Both rooms were booked under a special rate.

We showed up at the hotel a little after 9:00 PM and after waiting for several minutes for Darlene, the front desk clerk, to get off the phone. I gave her my name and then she proceeded to help a gentleman who arrived at the front desk after me who needed change.

Darlene informed me that they could only honor the special rate for one room and I would have to pay full price for the second. I told her I had booked the reservations in April and noone from the hotel had ever contacted me to tell me there was a problem. I also informed her that I had received confirmation for both rooms with the discounted rate. She told me she was only doing what the manager had told her to do and we could either check in and take it up with the manager the next day or cancel. When I asked her if we decided not to stay what would happen, she stated I would have to pay for both rooms even if I did not stay. She told me the problem was that one reservation was made directly with the hotel and the other through central reservations. I told her that it didn't make any sense because both were made online. She told me there was nothing she could do for us. Since it appeared I had very little options, I asked for the phone number for central reservations.

After a long day, my family and I sat in the hotel lobby for at least half an hour as I called Marriott central reservations on my cell phone. After initially tlaking to a representative, I was transferred to a Customer Service representative who ended up having to call Darlene, the hotel clerk, to inform her the hotel was not following Marriott policy. Customer Service had to fax copies of Marriott policy to the hotel. I was told that they would only honor the special rate for the two rooms for one night, but I would have to speak to the manager the next day if we wished to stay another night. We didn't get into our rooms until 10:00 PM. Needless to say one night is all we stayed because of the poor customer service from the hotel.

I was called the following day by the manager three hours after checking out saying they would honor the rate the second night if we wanted to come back. We decided to cut our trip short and drove home instead.

Be very careful when making your reservations. I have never experienced such poor customer service from any other hotel.

• Disliked — Poor customer service
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Northville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2008

This was the first time I have tried Residence Inn, and I must say I was impressed. Check-in was very quick and the woman at the desk was very friendly. The room was excellent! The kitchen was small but had everything I needed. There was a nice living room with a sleeper sofa and end chair. The bedroom was quite nice, it had a large closet and a second televison. Bathroom was quite large. The toiletries provided were very nice. Excercise room was nice. The pool looked nice but I never used it. Breakfast in the morning was great.

• Liked — Room, Breakfast, Staff
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
Lancashire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

We booked the Residence Inn as a convenient location to visit our son in the USA. It is about 10 mins by car out of Holland town; ideally you should have a hire car, as there is only 1 local taxi firm & whilst reliable for pre-booked journeys, you can wait up to 40 minutes if you have not booked. The accommodation is high quality, very well appointed with superbly comfortable beds, and in the case of our suite a full kitchen. On site is super small pool & Jacuzzi.

The staff are exceptionally friendly & helpful. Every morning a complimentary buffet type breakfast is provided which is very adequate and Mon – Thursday a simple evening meal buffet, including free wine & beer. Simple but welcome.
Overall highly recommended, but avoid a room next to the elevator or Room 313 which is next to the plant room.

• Liked — Spacious, clean, well equipped, comfortable
  • Disliked — A bit 'out of the way'
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2007

Stayed at the Residence Inn in Holland Michigan for one night.

I had made a reservation on Marriott's website several weeks prior at a rate of $119 (due to high demand AAA rate was not available), but checked Marriott's website again a day prior to arrival and found that I could get a $98 AA rate, Made a new reservation at the lower rate and cancelled the old one. Will recheck my reservations for better pricing at all Marriott's going forward.

Room was a studio suite, which was more than ample size. They have a one bedroom suite for sligntly more, but does not seem worth it as the studio was more than adequate. Hotel was clean and breakfast buffet was awesome! Definitely would stay there again next time in Holland.

• Liked — Cleanliness, large room with full kitchen, full buffet breakfast
  • Stayed October 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Residence Inn Holland? Share your experiences!