“Fantastic.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 18 hotels in Holland
Ypsilanti, Michigan
“Fantastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed in suite 305-- it was a beautiful room with the most comfortable bed I've ever slept on. The design of the room was very modern and unique, the food we ordered through room service was delicious, and the drinks at the bar downstairs were awesome.

Best hotel I think I've ever stayed in!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

231 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
chicago, Illinois, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

My husband and I stopped in Holland on the way back from our honeymoon in Northern Michigan. I had seen the CityFlats Hotel on a recent trip through town and was curious. It was well worth the stop. After seeing our room, we decided to stay in all night, watch movies and order room service. The room was modern and comfortable, with high ceilings and a huge bathroom. The king sized bed was the most comfortable I have ever slept in! My husband and I want to recreate it in our new apartment.

I will agree with some of the other guests about the housekeeping appearing to be short staffed. The tray from our room service was still on the floor the next day, which is sort of gross. And, while I appreciate the free Intelligensia coffee in the lobby, I love having coffee available in the room.

Otherwise, it was perfect. We will keep the hotel in mind during the long Chicago winter if we need a comfy place to hole up for a few days. The beds are divine! I would recommend it to people in search of a comfortable, modern hotel experience.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

We stayed at cityflats for 4 nights over labor day weekend. We loved the hotel and would stay there again and would recommend the hotel. However a couple of things kept me from giving it 5 stars. The housekeeping staff I felt could have been better. All they did was make our bed. I.e. Not refold towels or small tidying up which I would expect at a $200/night hotel (I received better service at lesser $ hotels). Dirty dishes/room service trays would sit in the hallway all day! We'd leave in the am come back in the pm knowing housekeeping was on our floor b/c our bed was made and the dishes are still sitting there. This exact situation happened twice on two different days while we were there. Just a rodent/bug problem waiting to happen in my opinion.
Although we received great service at the front desk, the lounge and bistro they seemed short staffed and I sensed other patrons fustration especially at the lounge/bar. Staff seemed to have multiple roles at the hotel so "bartenders" didn't really know how to make drinks which slowed service even more. The bar constantly ran out of glasses and the bartender would need to run out to the lounge area to collect dirty glasses to clean to fulfill an order. They were out of popular liqours like Jack Daniels, even though their happy hour drink special menu had a drink with Jack Daniels in it! I saw a man with a chef jacket on with 'executive chef' embroidered on it bussing tables. This is labor day weekend where everything is pretty much sold out I'm really surprised to see this place so short staffed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
gz08
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2010

The hotel was great! Went there for a Birthday weekend, and throughly enjoyed my stay. My friend and I checked in and went to our room for an amazing surprise. The standard room is HUGH! I cannot stress how big the room was and at a great rate. The room had two queen beds and what was excellent about the setup was that they were not right next to each other like how most setups are. The fact that the hotel is LEED certified is a great note about the hotel, but what was great is that it still felt luxurious. The only gripe I would have to say is that their late night in-room dining is a little unorganized, but the food after a night at the brewery hit the spot. If you are going away for a weekend but still want the big city feel definitely stay here!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2010

Our room was everything I would expect from a LEED-certified hotel. I really liked the decor, which was clean-lined, modern and spa-like. The bed was probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in - my husband agreed.

We did have some noise issues, though. Our room was on the 4th floor, directly below their restaurant. My husband and I were both rudely awoken at 5 AM by tables and chairs being dragged (not lifted) across the floor - it was the restaurant staff setting up for breakfast. My husband had to go down to the front desk to complain, and after that, all was quiet. Also, the electrical (heating/cooling?) panel in the wall emitted an incessant buzzing sound which was annoying at night. Another drawback was that you could not just have a reading light on by the bed...they were directly connected to the bright, over-the-bed lights and could not be on unless the overhead lights were on.

Overall, I'd recommend this hotel, but avoid sleeping on the 4th floor, if possible.

Also, there is no pool, because of the LEED certification.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Shelby Township, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

My husband and I stayed at City Flats for 3 nights recently for my brother's wedding. With so many family members in town, my husband wanted to get a hotel as oppose to staying with my parents. I am so happy I listened to him! City Flats was the perfect escape each evening from the crazy schedule we had leading up to the wedding. The ceilings are high, the large bed was ultra comfortable and we loved the look of the room. It is very modern and I understand that it doesn't appeal to everyone, but we loved it. Since we were there for 3 days, we were happy to have a large wardrobe area where we could put away our things and hang our freshly ironed wedding attire. I loved the shower and shower-head that allowed you to choose your temperature. 105 was my comfort zone :) The service was friendly, check-out took maybe 30 seconds and the lobby is comfortable and attractive. I didn't have much time to hang out at the bar, but my husband went to sushi night and had fun. The City Vu Bistro restaurant is fantastic. I had an amazing roasted red pepper omelet with tomatoes and swiss cheese with delicious whole wheat toast and truffled potatoes. I can't say enough wonderful things about this place. The relaxing room and delicious breakfasts was the perfect way to end each evening and begin each morning of our busy weekend. It's also right downtown, so just a block away from the heart of downtown Holland. Check out New Holland Brewing Co. for fantastic pizza, microbrews and their signature spirits or the Curragh Pub for great food and drinks.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2010

hotel was very trendy chic. toilet had both 1 and 2 flush. lights were on a master switch, so when you left the room, you could turn off all lights to save energy. bed and pillows were VERY comfortable! happy hour is mon - fri, from 4 -7, in the hotel lounge. good deals on drinks and appetizers. the floor is cork, which is nice, but it would be nice for the floor to have a few throw rugs to make it more home-y. also the ceiling is all exposed concrete which is a little institutional and harsh. at first, kind if felt like a dorm room, but overall, it is a very nice hotel, and i appreciate them being green! hotel bistro is very good for food and views from the 5th floor.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to CityFlats Hotel? Share your experiences!