“One night on a business trip” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Free Upgrade Call Direct
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Plainwell, Michigan
“One night on a business trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I had to unexpectedly stay overnight on a business trip and found this little gem online. I arrived late and my key was left in an envelope on the desk (very quaint). The room was exactly what I needed, clean, good nights sleep and a quick bite to eat in the morning. I got a really good last minute deal, so I'm not sure what prices they charge during tourist season, so this may not be the best cost vs. value review in the history of hotel reviews.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is a quaint inn, almost B&B in its feel. The inn was built in the lTe 1890's, but is pretty well maintained. Relaxing atmosphere, nice & comfortable rooms, but the room we had was rather sparse: two beds (a king & a double), a table, and a mini fridge. Rates are quite reasonable for a tourist area; continental breakfast is included (cereal, coffee, juice, toast , & a waffle maker). I'd recommend paying the few extra dollars for a balcony room - very pleasant to sit on the balcony with cheese & crackers and a nice bottle of wine, watching the sunset. Really nice feature is that downtown Harbor Springs is about a 10 minute stroll down the road. The inn is located in a quiet neighborhood on a side street (your GPS nav system will help you get there on the first pass). The down sides: the walls are thin (I could hear the next door guest in the shower, even with my bathroom door closed), I've faucets in the tub took some getting used to, and there were two outlets for my chargers (one next to the bed& one in the bath). Otherwise, a nice experience & I will gladly stay there again. Note of caution, the inn is only open during the summer season, so call ahead to be sure they are open.

Room Tip: Request a balcony room - relaxing.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Adrian, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

Great quiet place with large room. Very clean and staff is friendly. The continental breakfast was just okay. Would stay again. Great location, away from the busy town of Petoskey but close enough to shopping and lake shore.

• Stayed June 2014
FORT WAYNE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We would give this a five star if based on our room alone. We have unit 24 in the building next to the main house. Newly redecorated and we loved the gas fireplace...kept us cozy during the chilly evening. Spacious bathroom area with separate stool/shower area. Both areas have pocket doors to separate them from the bedroom so this place seemed like a suite even though it wasn't. But there was some not so good stuff that pulls the rating down to average. When we checked in the staff was pleasant and efficient but not very friendly...no biggie for us but other reviewers have noted staff not very friendly too. Since they advertise under B&B's I anticipated coffee/tea and maybe a snack upon arrival. When I asked about that, the desk person said she nothing was available but she could put on some hot water for me to make tea. I said good, I'd be back after unloading. When I went back there was a pot of hot water in the breakfast area and I scrounged around and found the tea bags and a cup. I fixed tea and went into sit by the fireplace in the sitting room. The whole place...breakfast area, check in area and lounge area were COLD. Like no heat on a chilly fall day. Since we rode in on our bikes as part of a longer bike trip we walked exactly one easy mile along the lake shore to downtown shopping and eating. Very nice neighborhood but no eating places closer than one mile. The next morning we went to the free breakfast and again...NO HEAT although it had been in the 40's overnight. I looked at two thermostats on the wall. They were both set at 60 and they both said ambient temp was 65. This inn offers standard breakfast fair including hot make your own waffles. But the lack of heat totally made breakfast unpleasant. I cannot imagine why an Inn would skimp on a little heat. Warm cozy atmosphere is exactly what one is looking for in a neighborhood inn. We wouldn't stay there again in spite of the great room due to cold public areas in the main building.

Room Tip: We had room 24 on ground level. Quiet and comfortable. Most of the rooms are in a separate building...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotelman52, Owner at Colonial Inn, responded to this review, April 12, 2014
Please judge us by the 5 stars this guest would give us on the room. We have finally been reclassified by Trip Advisor as a Hotel. We are not a B&B and do not offer the service that you would expect to receive in a small B&B. As a limited service 41 room hotel, we offer beautiful spacious accommodations with gas fireplaces in every room, a pool, a Jacuzzi, a simple continental breakfast, consisting of fresh melon, blueberry muffins, assorted cold cereals, waffles, white/whole wheat toast, orange juice, tea and coffee, within walking distance to downtown Harbor Springs. (We are the only hotel in Harbor Springs.)
Waterloo, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

The sign out front says, "Established 1894". So this inn has been around awhile. It's not modern as others have mentioned. But its comfortable, clean, large rooms with modern amenities and its location in a quiet neighborhood of cottages just a block from the shore make it the perfect place to stay in Northern Michigan. A short walk of a few, scenic blocks brings you to the heart of Harbor Springs - as lovely a small town as you can find anywhere, full of shops and restaurants. The rooms are big, clean and well kept. There's heat and air conditioning and a wide, flat screen TV on the wall. There is a small fridge and wifi service. I can't wait to return.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

If you are looking for modern amenities this is not for you. But if you like clean, spacious rooms in a quiet setting you are in for a treat. One short block to the lake. Take a stroll around the quaint neighborhood the hotel is located in. Town is less than a mile away. Our room had a king and a double bed, flat screen TV, and an electric fireplace. We had a dressing room outside the bathroom with a large closet and plenty of hangers which was important since we were in town for a wedding and had many dress clothes. I spent time reading at the table located outside my room on the balcony overlooking the pool. You must walk over to the main building to pick up ice or an iron. A very light breakfast is also served there until 10am either inside or out on the veranda. Lots of room outside for my children to run around and play. Free parking right outside our room.

Room Tip: Only stairs to second floor rooms. Second floor is more quiet since there is no one walking above...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here just for one night in August. As a family of four including teenage son and daughter, we needed essentially three beds (and our son was getting tired of uncomfortable roll-aways). They had a nice setup for us with a king room and a room with two doubles, separated by a common bathroom. Air conditioning was a bit noisy, but at least they had it. The breakfast out on the patio was lovely even in the rain. Lake Michigan just down the small street was convenient, a very nice area.

Room Tip: Great king bed room adjoining a two-double bed with bath in between.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Colonial Inn? Share your experiences!