“Great Ski Resort” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Harbor Springs
Ontario's Near North, Canada
“Great Ski Resort”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

Stayed in the main lodge in March for 5 nights. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. Lots of clean towels, 2 bathrobes and very generous with the soap, shampoo...etc. The food was great for all three meals; always something for everyone regardless of dietary need. Many healthy options; great breakfast buffet! The resort itself is quaint and the service is very good. The staff are friendly and accommodating. Ski lessons were fantastic and with the numerous hills and chairlifts, the resort never felt busy or overcrowd. Absolutely loved the outdoor heated pool and hot tub! Overall an enjoyable holiday. Would definitely return.

Room Tip: Rooms in the main lodge are convenient and close to everything!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Detroit, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

We stayed in the main lodge. I read a lot of the reviews and expected the room to be a little dated, which it was. BUT, it was very clean. I especially liked the duvet cover over the quilt on the bed, which I see a lot of hotels are doing. This means they can wash it like the sheets, so you are not sitting on a quilt that God knows when it was washed last. The bed was a pillow top and was very comfortable. This place is built solid and I did not hear anything and slept well. We don't like to eat out all the time, so an eating area and microwave on each floor of the lodge was a nice feature. Too bad the front desk didn't know about it, so we were not prepared and brought only cold food to eat. We enjoyed the jacuzzi, and the skiing was excellent. How could it not be this year? The dining room was pricey (avg. $25/entree) so we skipped it.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Sterling Heights, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We just had another wonderful weekend of skiing at the resort. There is a free ski valet that takes care of your skis the entire trip. Rooms are a touch dated but are very clean. Great beds with lots of pillows. The buffet breakfast that is included with most package deals is something our whole group looks forward to. There is something for everyone but the overall favorite is the omelet station. My wife thoroughly enjoyed a massage at the Spa, however it is not nearly as nice as the spa at Boyne Mountain. We've been coming here for years and plan on returning for years in the future.

Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

BACK STORY: Family of 6 - Four kids ages, 18, 9, 8, 6. And we took this trip with another family who has 3 kids ages, 13, 10, 6.

This was our first trip to Boyne and we have only been skiing/snowboarding for a few years. We loved this resort. I have to admit that we had amazing skiing conditions, so please take that into consideration when reading this review as we had about 14 inches of snow overnight Friday night so LOTS of powdery skiing.

There are so many activities to take part in, but we just skied and snowboarded. We had a package that included breakfast. Our room was called a "Family Room". It has 2 double beds in one room and our room (252) had 2 sets of bunk beds in the other connecting room. There is not a table and chairs. Just a desk and the beds and a dresser in each room with a TV. And there is just one bathroom which is part of the room with the 2 double beds. I hesitate to review it because it is such a gem for larger families.I want to keep that little secret all to myself! :)

The staff was so incredibly nice and helpful from the restaurant staff to the staff out on the slopes to the front desk and to housekeeping. Always willing to help and answer questions.

The tubing was fun, but it was my first time tubing so I have nothing to compare it to.

I love how many trails there were. Lots of greens and blues for us beginners! They have an express lift which is great. I wish the north peak had an express lift, too. It's a long ride. But, they have a warming house up there to stop and warm up in and grab a hot chocolate before you head back out. I was told on a clear day you can see the Mackinaw Bridge from the warming house, but it was a hazy day, so we couldn't see it.

The restaurant was delicious and the cafeteria was great, too, if you don't want to spend the money in the dining room. Keep in mind that you can order from the Slopeside Lounge (bar food) from the dining room upstairs so that can help keep the cost a little lower.

Hot tub was huge and awesome!

We are already planning on booking a trip next February!

Room Tip: Our room was pretty close to the main lobby and on the same floor as the main lobby. Every night whe...
Brighton, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014

Ok, so the skiing conditions did impact my review here. We came up February 20th evening staying at the Inverness condos, sent the kids to the pool while we went shopping for food/drinks to stock the fridge for the long weekend. We came back at about 7:30 pm and the power to the entire resort went out - including those who were on the lifts night skiing. It was windy so a tree apparently fell on a main power line and the backup failed. They got everyone off the lifts fairly quickly from what we could see from our room. Power was back on by 11:45 pm, so no harm done.
It snowed almost the entire time we were up there. We had to have had 20 inches over the entire long weekend period. Kids loved skiing in the powder in the trees. They had a great time. Only one took lessons (snowboard). She had a great time - most of the instructors are excellent with kids. My daughters favorite is Annie, but she and her husband BJ (both instructors) are retiring this year, so I wish them the best.
Two of the kids did the zip line and dog sledding. They also did the s'mores / sleigh ride. Boyne puts on a good effort to keep everyone entertained.
Pizza at Champions was very tasty - they deliver right to your room for only $2. Beds were very comfortable. Pool does need some TLC and a paint job or new liner. All in all everyone had fun.

Room Tip: Inverness rooms on the top 2 floors facing the mountain offer the best views. Top floor is loft sty...
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

I took my 10 year old son with a couple of other families to Boyne Highlands for a day of skiing. It was a beautiful, sunny day and a first time skiing for my boy. I registered him in a ski "camp" for 2 hours, he was a little nervous about joining a group, but ended up having a great time. Our instructor (from Austria) was fantastic and he came out with the skills he needed to ski :) He had a great time and was able to take the ski lift up with some friends and apply his skills. All he has talked about since is -- when can we go back and ski again! He is hooked and I am grateful for the excellent instruction he received!

Dearborn, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have been coming to Boyne Highlands for over 20 years over Presidents Weekend. the resort is the best! Two of our kids have graduated graduated from college but still make it a point to come up north for this trip. My biggest issue with this resort are some of the other guests! They allow their small children run up and down the halls screaming and slamming doors very early in the morning. They must let them to that at home too! I just wish parents would use their parenting skills! I know small kids can get very excited, but I don't think I ever hear parents trying to calm their kids down! So when you check in maybe you can ask for a room away from the noise!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Been to Boyne Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!