“Annual Family Ski Trip” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 hotels in Harbor Springs
Dearborn, Michigan
“Annual Family Ski Trip”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2014

We have been coming to Boyne Highlands for over 20 years over Presidents Weekend. the resort is the best! Two of our kids have graduated graduated from college but still make it a point to come up north for this trip. My biggest issue with this resort are some of the other guests! They allow their small children run up and down the halls screaming and slamming doors very early in the morning. They must let them to that at home too! I just wish parents would use their parenting skills! I know small kids can get very excited, but I don't think I ever hear parents trying to calm their kids down! So when you check in maybe you can ask for a room away from the noise!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

108 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Evansville, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

My husband and I planned a trip to visit The Bartley House, and ski on a Wednesday and Thursday at Boyne Highlands. We really didnt know what to expect being that we have never stayed at a resort before. We arrived early and were told that it was no problem at all to check in early, which was great being we had just driven 12 hours. Then, we learned we were upgraded to stay at the Main Lodge and it was for the same price as The Bartley (which was quite a bit cheaper) They also gave my husband a 20% discount being he is x-militarily. So, right off the bat we were very pleased. The staff at the resort were all SOOOOO nice. And, it was genuine kindness. I had an overall feel that we were important and appreciated. We got to our room, and the beds were extremely comfrtable, pillow tops, with great pillows. We had a little balcony that overlooked the slopes, and a flat screen plasma tv. The room was small but cozy. It is an older resort, so the fixtures, curtains, and sink area, etc.. were a little dated, but this didnt bother us one bit. We loved it! So, after we settled and explored we were even more overyoyed that they put us in the Main Lodge, becuase everything was right there. An arcade, a bar, breakfast dinner hall, outdoor heated pool, and hottub. And, I must make a special comment on the pool and hottub. That was the coolest thing Ive ever experienced. The room had two bug comfy robes in it, and we got all bundled up, and walked outside to enjoy soaking in a huge hottub in the middle of a blizzard (SO COOL!) and then, swimming in the heated pool outside in that weather was such a neat experience. Everyone needs to check that out. The rental place was great and easy. They sized me for boots, and they offer HEAD equipment (which is a good quality rental) They have ski valet, so we were able to get our skis the night before and check them for SUPER easy access the nest morning. FREE breakfast the next morning was AMAZING!!!! (Do keep in mind that breakfast is still served in a restaurant/buffet style, so it is customary to tip. Ski Valet has a tip jar also, so bring a little cash when you go :) The main lodge cafeteria has great food. The Grilled Cheese is GREAT! I highly recommend that! OK, so SKIING.... we skied on a Wednesday and Thursday, we didnt wait for a lift EVER! It was great. (we like small crowds) We are intermediate skiers, and were able to do all the blue square runs. They were exhilarating, and there were so many that we had plenty to ski over the full 2 days. There were about 4-5 black diamonds, but we are not able to ski those yet. They looked really steep and scary, so for all you expert skiers, there are some hills for ya :) We are so overly pleased that we will for sure be back. I think we will go to Boyne Mountain next, and check it out, but we will for sure return to The Highlands. And, if a member of staff reads this, THANK YOU! Thanks you all for going above and beyond to make us feel welcomed and at home!

Room Tip: We were in room 310, and is a pretty far walk to the lobby area. But, being we were going to be in T...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2014

We returned to Boyne Highlands this year after skiing out West last year. As an intermediate skiier, I have to admit that I was so much happier at Boyne. Even on the busy MLK weekend, the resort did not feel overly crowded. I was so much more comfortable on the slopes, and the friendliness of the staff is outstanding. I was really happy with the experience and will pick skiing at Boyne over skiing out West in the future.

Room Tip: Our 2 BR condo in Alpine Village had a double bottom/single top bunk bed in the 2nd bedroom in addit...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Marquette, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Pretty much every year for the last 15 years my wife and I have been traveling to the Highlands just after Christmas and through New Years Day..I have traveled to this Lodge as a younger couple and now have 12 and 8 year old boys..Boyne Highlands boasts some of the Best Skiing in the Midwest..the Grooming is perfection yet with plenty of Cascade skiing available...Night skiing is available if you choose to hit mornings and evenings...this resort has it all.. Austrian Ski instructors for the last 60 years..a healthy cafeteria for the masses ..that enjoy the FREE BEGINNERS SKIING AREA..also a great chill bar/ next to cafeteria....has an elite ski shop..with good value if you look...saved our butt..forgot poles and ski pants this year.....not mine the kids..and then to top of your night zipline..you drink a couple of Michigan Craft Beers at the Lodge Bar in front of Massive Fire Place..or if you are hardy or the night is mild..the fire just outside the Bar is great to watch the whole great scene....then after trying to ski with young boys all day ..jaded dad and hot mom and all Lodge fun people, head into HEATED outdoor pool and then into outdoor hot tub...all at the base of the Mountain in front of High speed Quad...Food is a cake walk sign room number and out..chef that make crepes and omelets to order at hyper speed..one of the Peaks has a great Cafe for lunch and a very classy hot Chocolate..my wife says the chocolate was upper echelon..then ski way back to the Lodge for Dinner..if you need more go try the Dog sledding ..or the snow bikes ..xc trails ..Horses...My wife arrange even managed to work a new years eve groomer ride juts before midnight...this is an out west experience..I strongly suggest this place if you are fun.

Room Tip: Ask for SLOPE SIDE >>MAIN LODGE>>with a balcony over looking pools..
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Cheboygan, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I randomly decided that I wanted to try skiing for the first time and with the community appreciation day deals that they had going I thought it would be the perfect time to take a lesson. My little sister took the lesson with me and our instructor Eric was awesome! He was so patient and fun and knowledgeable with everyone in the class. It was the perfect first skiing experience. The entire staff I interacted with was so helpful also as I had no clue what I was doing. Thanks so much!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

We have been going to Boyne Highlands for the last five years to ski as a family. It is a great place for kids to learn to ski. I can't say enough about the ski school and ski instructors - they rival any major Colorado or California ski resort staff, top notch!
There are more than 30 runs that I suggest for a family of skiers that range from beginner to advanced ( yes, I know that BH boasts about having more than 50 runs but some aren't worth your time, in my opinion.)
They used to allow kids 10 and under to ski free when you rented equipment but now they have dropped the age to 5 and under which is disappointing - but hasn't seemed to reduce the crowds so, they are raking it in!
The food can be hit or miss, too. But the bar is always packed, warm and a great place to eat, drink, watch the mountain and some football.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2013

We visit Boyne Highlands every year between Christmas and New Years. The staff in all regards (lift operators, wait staff, housekeeping, etc) is very nice and friendly. The food quality is great at all the restaurant properties. This was probably the best skiing ever at this time of year!

We stayed at the Bartley House which is the lower cost on property lodging. It's considered a ski in but short walk up a hill to the lift. It's a bit of a walk to get breakfast (which is in the main lodge) but no big deal.

My major complaint is the Bartley house rooms are due for an upgrade. The bathrooms are old and the rooms are basic. The TV is "old school" but setup for a wide screen and thus all the programming is chopped off (couldn't see the scores of the football games). For not a lot of money they can get some new TVs, upgrade the bathrooms, decor etc and get a lot of perceived value. (the beds are comfortable though)

The WiFi still needs to improvement.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Boyne Highlands Resort? Share your experiences!