“Good thing we weren't in a hurry.” 4 of 5 stars

6301 M-72 West, Grayling, MI
Improve this listing
Ranked #11 of 34 Restaurants in Grayling
Cuisines: Diner
“Good thing we weren't in a hurry.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

We went there on the recommendation of the hotel owner who said the food was good home cooking.

The food did not disappoint, once we got it.

There was a wait when we got there and it would have been nice if there was a space designated for that purpose. A large party left shortly after we got there & they split the two tables so that we & the couple waiting behind us could both sit down.

We ordered at the same time. They got their food, ate it & left before our waitress came to the table & stated that she had checked our food and it was on it's way.

Overall the prices were decent, the food was very good, and most of the staff was friendly (the young girl at the register seemed a bit out of it). We would more than likely cut them some slack because it was so busy, and eat there again.

Grayling, Michigan
“Careful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

I had their daily special just before closing time at the the West Side and ended up in the emergency room the next day. I strongly suspect this restaurant was the culprit. I noticed that my meal tasted a little "funny" and did not finish. I have eaten meals here before and mostly okay food. I will not here again.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
“Good service and food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Great food and service. went there twice in one day as i was in town on business and didnt regret it. Food was fresh and filling.

Visited December 2013
Charlotte
“Westside Diner - Grayling, MI”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

On a recent trip to Michigan, we stopped at this diner on the recommendation of the motel owner. I have to say, I don't think I'd ever go again. The food was good, but the service was atrocious.

Food: There were four of us dining and we got standard breakfast fare for breakfast. One member go the "Just an Egg" plate which had one egg, a piece of meat (you choose) some American Potatoes and toast. It was just perfect for a small eater. Another member got the pancakes (short stack) which was a huge serving and some bacon, which was nicely crisped. Another go the two egg meal, which was like the Just an Egg. And I got the Cornbeef hash and some toast. The cornbeef hash looked like the kind that came out of a can, but it tasted good and was cooked well, with a nice crisp from the flat top.

The real standout food at this diner was the homemade bread though. They even have a little room inside where they sell baked goods. But the bread was thick, nicely toasted and buttered, and we all got the Raisin kind, which had just the right amount of raisins and sweetness.

And the prices were decent. Your typical diner food and prices that won't break the budget.

Service:
The dining room was clean and well maintained and apparently from other reviews on here the majority of the waitstaff was nice. But our server must have been having a bad day, or someone peed in her cheerios, or maybe she was just trying at that gruff waitress personality and was failing at it (too young to pull it off effectively). She went straight from being gruff to downright rude. Some of the gems from her included "I didn't ask you about your coffee I asked you about your breakfast" when asked for a refill while she was checking on us and a roll of the eyes when we told her the motel recommended the diner. Her attitude just kind of spoiled the meal for us. I'd like to give her the benefit of the doubt that she was just having a bad day, but it didn't seem like that was probably the case.

So in summary, go ahead and visit for the homemade bread and decent food, but be wary of which waitress you get.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Mansfield
“good food, rude waitress”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stopped here for breakfast and found our young waitress to be very cocky and arrogant. I wish I could remember her name as to let you know which one to stay away from because the other waitress was really nice. The food was good too. Clean restaurant.

Visited June 2013