“As good as it gets” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Columbus, Ohio
“As good as it gets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a trip to Grand Rapids for a family event, and I booked it largely because of positive reviews relative to other hotels in the southwest of the city. I have to say that the positive reviews were accurate! Obviously, this is a Comfort Inn, not the Waldorf Astoria, but in it's class and price range, it is as good as it gets. My room was nicely decorated, very comfortable, and very clean. The bed was comfortable (a big deal for me), and the shower was hot and water pressure was great. The complimentary breakfast was plentiful and varied. All the staff with whom I interacted were polite and helpful. All in all, this is a great hotel for the money in this area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Ohio friend – your review is wonderful. As you note, we are not the Waldorf Astoria, but we are proud of our property and do the best we can to make all guests feel welcome. We are so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and truly appreciate the feedback. We will make sure to pass on your kind words to the rest of the staff. Have a great rest of your week and a wonderful spring/summer. Take Care.

221 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Gahanna, OH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Upon our entrance into the hallway of our room, cigarette smoke was smelled by my husband and me. Jessica and Erin were on duty and I stopped Jessica as she was nearby. Both she and Erin wasted no time in correcting the problem by finding the smoker and penalized him via dollars for his error. The odor was taken care of soon, yet they were kind enough to move us to another room. We very much appreciated their quickness to our "please help" request. And the move was one that made us smile as well. Again, our many thanks to Erin and Jessica for their "quick" kindness. LG, Gahanna, OH.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Traveling Friend - thank you so much for taking time to provide feedback on your recent stay. We are so sorry for the smoking. We are proud to be a smoke free property but unfortunately the guests you mention were not following the rules. It was encouraging to hear that Erin and Jessica were able to quickly rectify the situation. We will make sure to pass on your kind words to them. Again thank you for staying at our property and for providing feedback. We look forward to seeing you next time you are in Grand Rapids.
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The staff were outstanding and the room was clean and comfortable. The room I was in could use some new carpet, paint, and attention to the tiles in the bathroom, but it was not dirty and those are mild gripes. Staff were terrific about accommodating my request to be in a quiet area, away from two high school groups.

My biggest complaint, however, and one that may prevent me from staying there again, is that the TV set was a wide screen HD, but the TV transmission is analog, which means that the picture was fuzzy and quite blurry - like looking at a bad computer screen. I could only tolerate about thirty minutes of it before I started to get a terrible headache. (Eyes trying to focus.) No way to improve or correct it. The transmission cannot accommodate a wide screen set, so I had the options of a s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d picture or one with black borders on the left and right. Maybe this is not an issue for people who use their laptops or such for TV viewing, but I didn't have mine so it was an issue for me. Probably wouldn't make a difference for kids.

Breakfast was fine, with scrambled eggs, yogurt, waffles, and the usual sugary cereals. Bed was soft but comfortable. Except for the TV, everything was just fine (and worth the price) but for me, the TV is a deal-breaker.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor, facing away from 28th street, are quietest. Also ask for a room far from...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Friend - on behalf of the Comfort Inn Staff I want to thank you for your honest and candid review of our property. We are continually looking for ways to improve our property and you mention several of the areas we are currently addressing. I am happy to report that we are putting new carpet into the building as we speak. We are excited about the new look and the warm welcome it will provide to guests. Furthermore, we are in the process of repainting the rooms in the building one by one. We hope the updated feel will match the excellent customer service you mentioned. I am so sorry about your TV problem. The TVs have been set to provide guests with a clear and sharp picture so I'm not sure why there was an issue in your room. We are having our maintenance staff check into the situation and we rectify accordingly. Again, thank you so much for your insights and for staying with us. We hope you have a wonderful spring and are able to take advantage of the warm weather that is coming. Take Care
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

Checked in quite late, front desk staff were great. As an Elite member I was offered bottled water and snack. My request for a quiet room was honored. The hotel was undergoing some renovations of the public areas - I'm sure there was carpet in the lobby when I checked in, but in the morning there was none! The room was clean and comfortable, and as I expect from a Comfort Inn. My only gripe was that there was no TV remote in the room. The staff came up with a replacement, but the TV still wouldn't work properly. This was not rectified. Luckily I had plenty of other work to keep me busy, so didn't push the issue.

Managed to sleep through breakfast, so can't comment on that, but the staff did offer to get me a muffin or some cereal or something despite it being well after breakfast hours. That was nice.

Overall, a solid property, with staff who are customer focused. As long as the TV remote works next time, I'd have no problem staying again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Hotelmanagergr, Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear Choice Elite member,

Thank you for choosing our hotel as your hotel of choice while visiting Grand Rapids. We are very glad to hear that your check in went smoothly and your elite status was recognized. We pride ourselves on customer service and being able to resolve situations effectively and in a timely manner. We are sorry to hear that the TV in your room was being difficult, we know that it can be frustrating. We were glad you were able to get some work done, but hopefully next time you stay you can enjoy a nice relaxing time. We hope to see you in the near future!
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We have been staying at the Comfort Inn In Grand Rapids for the park in Fly package for our Mexico vacations every year,and once again the service and Hotel are tops around.
We will be staying there once again this coming Feb 2014. The hotel is very very clean and the service is awesome. They come and pick you up with a simple phone call within minutes.For your Dollars this is a great place for a park in fly for any trip to the airport.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Hello Valued Guest, and thank you for your kind words. Our Park and Fly package is one of the most popular packages we provide at our hotel property. We know that being able to park your car in our lots and not have to worry about keeping it at the airport is a large relief for most guests. We are very happy to hear that you will be returning to take advantage of our Park and Fly package yet again in February! As always, your response and feedback is very valuable to us, and we hope to continue to provide you with a comfortable nights stay!
Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

Based on the reviews from this site I decided to stay at this hotel for my recent exam for nursing. I called ahead of time to request a "quiet" room, away from other people if this was possible. I was traveling 5 hours away from home to take an exam that could determine my future. We drove all the way in a snow storm and we were greeted by a very nice receptionist. Explained my request for "quiet" room to her and she put us on the third floor. The hotel is very clean and our room was clean as well. No complaints there. We knew the place did not have a pool, if we were traveling with our children we would not have stayed here.The only thing I didn't understand is the room we were put in was by the elevator. In my opinion this is not quiet. Also later on we could hear voices that sounded very close and we could hear EVERYTHING that people in the next room were doing and saying. The walls were very thin. I had already requested a "quiet" room to begin with and already turned down the first room we were in, the hotel was not booked up, It was a monday and very few cars were in the parking lot. The breakfast was a standard continental breakfast and it was good. I would stay here again, under different circumstances.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

thank you for choosing the Comfort Inn- Airport GR as your hotel of choice while in Grand Rapids. Hopefully all went well with the exam that you were in town to take, I know we were all hoping the best for you! We do take customer requests and preferences very seriously to ensure all of our guests have a relaxing stay. I am very sorry to hear that the room you were given was not as quiet as hoped, as the third floor is general considered to be a quiet floor. We thank you for all your kinds words and constructive criticism all, and we hope to see you next time your are visiting Grand Rapids!
Fremont, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I have stayed at the Comfort Inn Airport Grand Rapids several times when I have early morning flights. They offer a wonderful Park and Fly rate and shuttle service. The early morning shuttle
starting at 4:30am makes it convenient to get to the airport on time. They even have the breakfast set out for the early departures. I appreciated the service given by Matt and Erica. Their professionalism and friendliness was wonderful. The room was clean and even though the hotel was going through some renovation, I felt like I got a great value at the Comfort Inn. I am sure we will use the Comfort Inn Airport Grand Rapids again when we need a "Park and Fly".

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hotelmanagergr, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn Airport, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Pat - you are the best! Thank you so much for kind words. Our staff truly enjoyed interacting with you and were so glad that you had a great trip. We will make sure to pass your kind words onto Matt and Erica. They both have fun personalities and will appreciate the feedback. Can't wait to see you again on your next adventure.

Been to Comfort Inn Airport? Share your experiences!