“Nice Room, Good Location, Outdated hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #12 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Grants Pass, Oregon
“Nice Room, Good Location, Outdated hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

The rooms were decent. The breakfast was fine. We had the luck of staying the two nights that a family reunion was going on so the main room was over-run with loud and rude people (the staff didn't do anything about it).

This hotel seems a bit outdated but it's a good location, enough off 28th street it feels like you are a bit away from the sketchiness of 28th. We had alright service. When I requested another blanket for my son the person at the front desk made it seem like it was an inconvience. Who knows... maybe just a bad day?

There was a dark stain on my blanket (cofee maybe), and I don't drink coffee. The is the nice down comforter I'm talking about. So that was gross. I told the staff about it and she wanted to blame someone else instead of taking care of it. I kept trying to explain to her that I didn't want to get someone in trouble I just needed a new blanket. I got the new blanket. The staff here just have a weird culture it seems.

The beds were fine. It wasn't the best sleep ever, and not the worst either. It wasn't a memorable place to stay. When we come back to Grand Rapids to visit, I think we'll try another hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

56 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a nice experience here. Even though we arrived late, the desk manager was very nice and told us about the art fair going on downtown. The price was very reasonable and the rooms were comfortable. The food was as advertised, a continental breakfast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

No brochures on Gerald ford museum even though the site is only 15 minutes away from the hotel. Food was mediocre. Location was in poor section. Bad Internet service. Beds were uncomfortable. I would never stay at another Fairfield Marriott after this experience.

• Stayed July 2012
GrandRapidsFF_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, July 30, 2012
Thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. I apologize we did not provide you with the experience you were expecting while staying at our hotel. We are addressing these issues; updating our brochures for locations in the area, and ways to enhance our breakfast. We do hope you give us a chance to make things right and try the Grand Rapids Fairfield Inn next time you are in the area.

Jodi Beers
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Stayed here for a long weekend. Polite staff, quick check-in. We arrived early so we got to pick our room. Good sized room with plenty of towels and a comfy bed. Room had the usual shampoo, conditioner, soaps, hair dryer, alarm clock, iron and ironing board. Lacks a fridge and microwave. Lobby has hot coffee 24 hours. Breakfast was the usual at Fairfield, muffins, waffles, bagels, fruits, etc. Great location. One block from the main drag which has every chain store and restaurant you can think of and then some! Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Winter Haven, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

This was a better than average Fairfield Inn. The check in was very polite. A few extra amenities in the bathroom, sufficient towels, etc. Location was good in terms of nearby many restaurants and downtown. Bed was very soft. Internet (included in the room rate) was good. Decent value for the price paid. A solid hotel. No negatives other than a lack of a laundry facility onsite.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Typical Fairfield Inn with a slightly better than average location for this brand. Short walk to a number of common but decent chain options for dining, such as Applebees, but being a block off of 28th street has a quiet setting. Of note is the lack of a fitness center. This is the 2nd Fairfield Inn I've stayed at in the past 2 weeks that did not have one. Having access to a center located 4 blocks away is hardly convenient for a half hour on the treadmill at 5AM before breakfast.
My concern is the lack of consistency across the brand. I stay at Fairfield Inn's often (19 nights in 2012 so far) because I know they meet my basic needs at what I consider to be a good value. When some units fall below meeting my personal basic needs it puts me in a position of questioning the brand.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
OFallon, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed here to attend an event at University Motors which I discovered is very close to the airport. This Fairfield had a great location being just off 28th St SE where you have access to every chain store and restaurant you could imagine. However, being set back 1 block off of 28th you have a fairly quiet location – no high traffic noise passing by on either side of the hotel.

The hotel seems new/modern and presumably has been fairly recently updated. The rooms are fairly typical of Marriott chain but comfortable, clean and well maintained. I did get a slight musty odor in the bathroom when turning on taps/faucets in the sink but it might have been unique to my room. There’s also a fairly nice 32 or 40 inch flat screen TV and the desk had a good height adjustable chair to sit in and work on your laptop from. WiFi was good signal wise and straight forward to connect to – no charge. I also liked that you could indicate a number of days or length of time to be setup on the wireless. This meant you didn’t have to re-register every day/24 hours. I also managed to register multiple devices (laptop, work blackberry, personal Android) so all very convenient.

The lobby/breakfast area is well maintained and modern. The breakfast had a pretty good selection and each day there was someone constantly wiping/cleaning and checking on stocks of things.

I stayed using Marriott points and this is a category 1 hotel so very points effective. A great place to stay for what I needed and no doubt good if you need something close to the airport which is probably no more than 3 miles away. I’d certainly stay again and pick this over other Marriott brands as the quality was great and there’s no need to pick something up their brand scale when this one is so good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!