“No Fitness Center” 3 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“No Fitness Center”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Typical Fairfield Inn with a slightly better than average location for this brand. Short walk to a number of common but decent chain options for dining, such as Applebees, but being a block off of 28th street has a quiet setting. Of note is the lack of a fitness center. This is the 2nd Fairfield Inn I've stayed at in the past 2 weeks that did not have one. Having access to a center located 4 blocks away is hardly convenient for a half hour on the treadmill at 5AM before breakfast.
My concern is the lack of consistency across the brand. I stay at Fairfield Inn's often (19 nights in 2012 so far) because I know they meet my basic needs at what I consider to be a good value. When some units fall below meeting my personal basic needs it puts me in a position of questioning the brand.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
O'Fallon, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2012

Stayed here to attend an event at University Motors which I discovered is very close to the airport. This Fairfield had a great location being just off 28th St SE where you have access to every chain store and restaurant you could imagine. However, being set back 1 block off of 28th you have a fairly quiet location – no high traffic noise passing by on either side of the hotel.

The hotel seems new/modern and presumably has been fairly recently updated. The rooms are fairly typical of Marriott chain but comfortable, clean and well maintained. I did get a slight musty odor in the bathroom when turning on taps/faucets in the sink but it might have been unique to my room. There’s also a fairly nice 32 or 40 inch flat screen TV and the desk had a good height adjustable chair to sit in and work on your laptop from. WiFi was good signal wise and straight forward to connect to – no charge. I also liked that you could indicate a number of days or length of time to be setup on the wireless. This meant you didn’t have to re-register every day/24 hours. I also managed to register multiple devices (laptop, work blackberry, personal Android) so all very convenient.

The lobby/breakfast area is well maintained and modern. The breakfast had a pretty good selection and each day there was someone constantly wiping/cleaning and checking on stocks of things.

I stayed using Marriott points and this is a category 1 hotel so very points effective. A great place to stay for what I needed and no doubt good if you need something close to the airport which is probably no more than 3 miles away. I’d certainly stay again and pick this over other Marriott brands as the quality was great and there’s no need to pick something up their brand scale when this one is so good.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Matthews, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

I recently stayed here to be close to the airport for a 7am flight out. The hotel was clean, the front staff was fun (From Brooklyn NY), and I even got a cookie and cup of coffee.

The rooms are not as modern as the new Fairfields and the bed not as soft and just OK. The lobby had be redone and was very nice.

The nice part is that there are plenty of restaurant options around and it is 2 miles to the airport in the morning.

One big improvement would be a sign to where it is as it is behind the Target in the strip mall and you can't see it from the main road.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Sterling Heights, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

We travel to Grand Rapids often and have stayed at many hotels in the area. This is the first time staying at this Marriott near 28th street and the airport, more the north east area. It is off the main road, but very close. It is also close to the freeway, restaurants, 2 malls, many stores, and just about everything else you might want. Our main reason for this trip was to see a play downtown but staying downtown was too expensive and not close to the malls. This was a nice choice as it is a quick drive to downtown.

The room was clean and the beds were very comfy. It is a bit sparse for a Fairfield Inn and I was disappointed that we did not have a refrigerator. I should have looked closer at the hotel's website. Breakfast was fine, but nothing really to rave about. I am trying to watch both calories and cholesterol so I had oatmeal and yogurt both mornings and it was as expected. They did have some nice choices for fruit cups, yogurt, etc. My daughter loves doughnuts but none were available.

The best feature was the location coupled with the fact that I knew this brand would be clean and well maintained. It was a good choice and I would stay here again if needed. I do prefer to stay on the south west end of the city though.

Room Tip: I liked being on the 3rd (the top) floor as there were many families with young children so I did no...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2012

We arrived here late in the evening, exhausted after a long day at Michigan's Adventure. We had stayed at an awful hotel down the street the night before and were so pleased when we arrived here. Hotel must be fairly new. The lobby was clean and check in was quick. Our room was spotless and we all had a great nights sleep. In the morning my kids (3 little boys) got out of bed and I noticed a big blood stain on the duvet. Totally grossed as I knew for sure it was not from them, I went to the front desk. There was no one there just a sign saying someone wuld return soon. On our way to the pool I found the cleaning lady whom did not speak English very well about the problem. When we went back to the room the bed was made with the bloody duvet still on the bed only covered with the runner that the Fairfield's always put on the beds. Guess putting the stain on the outside solves the problem? I went to the front desk on our way out and informed the lady behind the desk. Upon returning back to the hotel 4-5 hrs later our bed still hadn't been changed. I called the front desk and the clerk came up and changed the bed. When we returned home I sent a complaint in to the head office and the manager offered a free night. When I emailed her back a few months later to get my free night she never responded. Other than that episode stay was great. Nice pool and good continental breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Rockford, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Three families stayed here last Saturday night and found the service superior. All staff were friendly and accommodating. We had a group of parents, grandparents, and children that used the pool and hot tub and that was good, too. The breakfast was better than some hotels of this kind. Areas were clean, the decor in the rooms was modern which were all pluses. Some parts were a little worn, but not bad. We would stay there again. To improve, add mini-fridges and microwaves to rooms.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2012

This hotel staff always tries to do the best in order to serve the customer. Clean rooms, halls, breakfast area. Comfortable beds. I left some clothing on the hanger - they sent it back to me at no charge.

Room Tip: Got to have third floor so no one is walking above you.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!