“One night stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport

You added Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport
Ranked #18 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Huntington Woods, Michigan
“One night stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on our way to pick our son up from camp. I had booked through Priceline, so I didn't get my pick of the room, but called ahead to make sure that we could get 2 queen beds as our daughter was with us. Upon check-in we were placed in a king room. No problem, that was an easy fix and we were given our 2 queen room. My daughter enjoyed the pool, room was clean, good sized mini-fridge in the room with some counter top and cupboards to store food. This was a nice hotel to stay at and I was pleasantly surprised with our stay. We typically stay at Marriott brand hotels. This was great.

• Stayed August 2013
DanielHungerfordGM, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thank you so much for your recent patronage and for taking the time to share your thoughts online. It was nice to hear you enjoyed the amenities of our All Suite Hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back to Holiday Inn Express Grand Rapids Airport again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Ortonville, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

I stayed here on business for two nights in mid-August. I loved the room! Every room is a suite. With a microwave, coffee maker, fridge, sink, cupboards, counter top to fix foods/coffee, etc.
I loved that I didn't have to make coffee in the bathroom! There were plenty of plugs for my electronics. The internet was fast enough to stream a movie from HBO Go. I read other reviews and opted for staying on the third floor, it was very quiet. Staff was friendly. Quick check in/out. Breakfast was the typical Holiday Inn food with a mixture of hot and cold items available. I didn't have time to use the pool or the fitness room, but they looked nice. Fitness room was on the third floor. Will definitely stay here again when I'm back here on business. The hotel was a little hard to find, had to call the front desk and ask for their location. The hotel is located next to Meijers. Many restaurants and shopping venues are nearby. Thank you Holiday Inn Express!

Room Tip: Little hard to find the hotel. It's located next to Meijers. Third floor was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here while traveling in the area. We were pleased with the accomodations, everything was clean and attractive.

Our suite had two rooms (booked in advance), the *bedroom* was spacious. The other room in the suite had a conference table and pull out couch which was comfortable for my daughter, after friendly and helpful front desk employee Matt brought the bedding for it. There was also a small refrigerator and coffee maker.

The bed was comfortable, but the pillows were very small! They *looked* nice (décor wise), but it looked like they had taken a regular pillow and chopped it in half!

It was only a one night booking, but we were comfortable and would stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
NC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to go to a family reunion in August this year. Staff was courteous. Location was good, a few minutes from the airport, and they had a shuttle. We had booked thru Hotwire so didn't get to pick our room, we just knew it should be enough to sleep my family of 4. We ended up with a suite with one queen bed and a fold out couch. Having my 16 year old try to share rickety fold out with my 4 year old would have been a nightmare. I ended up using couch cushions to make my 4 year old a pallet on the floor. Our queen bed was not very comfortable, it sagged in the middle and had hard spots. My husband and I tossed and turned all night. Everyone, except the 4 year old awoke with backaches in the morning. Breakfast was fine, hot, standard HI express fare. However there was an ant crawling on the wall in the breakfast room and crumbs in the pull out couch when we opened it. I give an average rating because we got a good deal thru Hotwire, but I would have been more upset had I paid full price for the room.

• Stayed August 2013
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Dear NcTarheelFan,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and breakfast.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the bed and sofa bed. We will address these points. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Fullerton, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed at this location for 3 nights and it was just average. I prefer Hampton for similar class but at least Hampton has better bed, pillow and more modern interior. At the time i couldn't get cheaper rate at any Hilton property, so had to settle with this Holiday Inn. The hotel itself is just average. The room got was a suite and just simple. Like that they put microwave and fridge in the room.
The hotel looks a bit outdated and can use renovation. The fitness center is very small with only 3 cardio machines and a weight machine cramped in the back of the room.
The location is great as it's quiet and located behind Meijer and there are some restaurants nearby. But there are plenty of food and retail establishments on the opposite side of the main road.
Nothing stand out about this hotel and will most likely look elsewhere if i come back to Grand Rapids area.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Leilani07,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We highly value views, opinions and feedback from our guests, as this allows us to constantly improve the service we provide.

Our goal is to ensure that all our clients leave satisfied and we try our best to fulfill all our guest requests. I apologize for the shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned when we fall short of your expectations. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.

Again, thank you for staying with us and taking the time to give feedback.

Dhan M
Hopatcong, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I average 15-20 nights per year in business hotels. Not much I know and I normally stay at Hilton properties. I chose this property because it was convenient and well priced. So I just hoped it wouldn't be an old used up Holiday Inn. It wasn't. Not in any way.
Upon arrival, Elizabeth greeted me and my customer with a smile and provided us with a few bottles of desperately needed water. Each and every person who i interacted with at reception was professional friendly and helpful. Daily breakfast was better than expected. Traditional continental breakfast plus biscuits and gravy one day and eggs and bacon another, Pancake machine etc. Clean, well stocked, friendly staff. Sensing a trend here? Rooms were clean, plenty of linens with a couch, desk, fridge sink and coffee machine.

I will go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Wake Forest, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

If it had not been for one very bad housekeeping problem and poor communication I would rate this property higher.
I called for a reservation rather than reserve on line because I wanted a handicap accessible room and I wanted to get in earlier than 3 pm. I was told that it was very possible that we would be able to get in early and they had the room I needed. I was asked to call the day before to double check on the availability of an early check in. One the day before our check it, it took me 3 attempts to get through and talk to someone (disconnected, terrible connection on 2nd try). I talked to the front desk and was assured that we could check in at 1:30 pm.
When we arrived at 1:45 pm, the room was not ready as promised but the staff called housekeeping and we were told another accessible room was available. We entered that room and I found drawers in the kitchenette and the dresser drawers still open. Worse yet, there was about 1/4 cup of round brown pellets on the rug near the wall by the bed. It looked like dog food, but could be a snack of something that had been spilled. Obviously the staff did not catch that in order to get the room readied. They should never have released the room.
As we left for an event an hour later, I informed the front desk myself and described exactly where the pellets were. When we returned almost 5 hours later, I discovered that the pellets were still there. My husband thinks the staff member did not make a note and got distracted before a service call was made.
I immediately walked down to the front desk and complained to the manager. We got someone in to vacuum the room immediately and a phone call acknowledging the problem and we were told we would not be charged for the room.
Unfortunately this left a very poor impression. However in all fairness I must say the king sized bed was almost perfect. It was slightly harder that I prefer, but I was able to get a good sleep. The room is almost two rooms with the front section containing a couch with a pull out bed and a TV and lamp. Then there is a small kitchenette with plenty of cupboards, sink, microwave, burners on a stove top, refrigerator and coffee maker. The main room has a large bed, another TV, lambs and tables. There is a major grocery store just beyond the property. You have to drive past this grocery store (Meijers) to get to one of two hotel properties. The entrance has a lovely garden area. It is quite near the airport and just off a major freeway. It is located off one of the busiest streets in Grand Rapids. In spite of this, the property was set in a section that somehow buffets the noise from the roads. We were located on the first floor near the front desk and it was very quiet there.
I might consider this property again. I would agree with another review it is nothing spectacular overall, but for the price is good and it was a decent experience except for the odd housekeeping problem and they did not have the room ready as promised. They were professional about acknowledging the problem.
Final comment: I doubt that I got a real accessible room. There is only one support bar in the tub (shower facilities in the tub) and there are no bars near the toilet. I do not use a wheelchair, but I doubt that anyone in a wheelchair could get into the bathroom easily. The bottom of sink is too low to get a wheelchair under the sink, the towels are place too high. The toilet would be difficult to use because the bathroom is narrow and there is no place to transfer to the toilet. If you have those needs be sure to discuss you needs in detail with someone who really knows the property and which rooms are built to accommodate you. Fortunately I can manage with one handle bar in the shower though I prefer two (or more.)

Room Tip: All seem quiet, see my notes if you are handicapped.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Dear Margo96,

Thank you for your staying with us and for leaving us a feedback. Providing excellent customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on and we are sorry to read that in this case you feel we have fallen short of your expectations. We would love the opportunity to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Once again many thanks for your feedback.

Janice A
IHGCare

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Grand Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!