“The staff is perfect, the hotel is ok” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #32 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Grosse Ile, Michigan
“The staff is perfect, the hotel is ok”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

We went to the Clarion to see if they had rooms, but they were full. Stephanie called the Sleep Inn for me and had Jasmine secure a room for us. Jasmine is a gem...she is very sweet and, despite answering phones, checking me in, and taking car of the manager's reception, she was super sweet. Also, the young lady who took care of the breakfast in the morning was super sweet and efficient.
The pros--the staff and the food. There was a manager's reception in the evening with freshly popped popcorn, pop, mac and cheese, salad and rolls. We were a little hungry but did not feel like going out and this was just perfect for us. The breakfast was super--full of eggs, bacon, make-yourself waffles, and the other typical items. The rooms seemed clean and the bedding was very fresh and clean. This hotel is located near lots of various restaurants and a Target and other stores. It was economical, too--compared to other hotels. It was very quiet. We left the window open and it was a pleasant sleep.
The cons--this hotel looks like it has been updated recently as the paint looks fresh and the carpet looks relatively new, but there were also some things that needed to be taken care of. There was rust on the door to the pool--it was flaking off and falling on the floor. The flower beds in front were well-kept, but the sides and back beds were full of weeds.The room was clean but the caulking looked as if it had been done by a second grader.
On the whole, the experience was good but mostly because of the food and the staff.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, August 27, 2013
Thank you for your recent stay and review. Guest feedback is the number one way we have to improve our hotel. We are working diligently to get to all of the bathroom showers and recaulking the areas you speak of. Because of your feedback we are also putting an extra emphasis on the landscaping around the entire hotel and not just the front. Thank you again.

69 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Caledonia, Michigan, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013

I booked this for my wedding night for my husband and I. I was guaranteed an early check in around 1PM when I called a week in advance and informed it was confirmed.I showed up at 1:15PM on my wedding day, only for the receptionist to look really confused and tell us the room wasn't ready until 3. She said she will get a room ready within 30 minutes. We had to do hair and make up in the lobby and I was already stressed in the first place! The room was ready after 2:15PM, and it was on the 3rd floor right next to the stairwell (I asked for a quiet room on the ground floor as we had too much to carry). The room was spacious, bed was huge. Upon going to the bathroom, I noticed that the wall by the tub was worn and had a big water mark going down to the floor where water leaks. We didn't use the tub but it was still an eyesore! It was pretty noisy too as we were near the stairwell. Overall, was not impressed with the room unfortunately! Best part of the stay was the make-your-own waffles at breakfast. The eggs were the worst eggs I have ever eaten. There were lots of choices to eat and besides the terrible eggs, the rest of the breakfast was delicious. Overall I am mixed as to if I would recommend this hotel to anyone else! It was not the worst hotel I have stayed at, but not the best.

Room Tip: Room away from the stairwell
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
I first would like to thank you for your review. I apologize for the issues you had at checkin. Unfortunately we can never guarantee a room will be ready before 3pm. Although we always try our best, sometimes requests just cannot be fulfilled. In regards to the request for a specific floor and room, some of our rooms are not available on the floor requested. I apologize again that your stay was less than spectacular. We do hope that you give us a second chance to make a first impression.
Wixom, Michigan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel many other times, so I have seen this facility decline in quality.
The room we were in had carpet that was torn just at the door. The carpet was DIRTY. This facility needs a complete make over to get me back again.
I was in my socks most of the time I was in the room and the bottom of my socks were DIRTY.
The carpet at the hotel entrance to the rooms was DIRTY.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I apologize for the delay in responding. We value our guests feedback good and bad. With our guest feedback in mind we have implemented a deep clean program for the rooms as well as the public areas. We are in the early stages of preparing for a replacement of the current room carpeting. Again, thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing.
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

We were attending the Meijer Michigan Games and a block of rooms were reserved for us. The lobby was comfortable, as was the breakfast room. They serve a light dinner some days of the week, and breakfast daily. I would recommend that you concentrate on the fruit, bagels and yogurt or cereal and skip the eggs and sausage...a general consensus! Our room was clean and equipped with enough linens. There was a stand alone shower and the sink was outside of the commode/shower area. The pool area and hot tub looked nice but we didn't use them. There were picnic tables outside of the pool area, which accomodated guests for our nightly wind down. There was even a nice lookng gas grill for those who wished to use it. The staff was friendly and efficient, making us feel right at home. My only complaint was the carpet on the stairs. It is in dire need of cleaning/replacing. I spoke to one of the staff and he assured me that the hotel was upgrading, and the carpet would be replaced shortly. The price was right! Very good value! I would definitely stay again. Oops..forgot to mention..the landscaping and flowers were a pleasant additioin to the overall appearance of the hotel.

Room Tip: We were on the second floor, which was reached either by an elevator or a large open staircase..whic...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for taking time to present our hotel with a review of your stay! We try to use all feedback given to us to make changes that will improve the quality of stay for each and every guest. Thank you again for contributing to helping our hotel improve everyday.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

After reading reviews here, we booked. The staff at the desk was listening to headphones and not really dialed in. There was evidence of disrepair around the elevators and in the bathroom. The third floor was over 80 degrees and the air conditioner was off. I went to turn it on and found broken controls and a burned and broken 110v plug. The room was clean and spacious. I contacted the desk on two separate occasions for lengthy/continuing disturbances outside of our room in the hallway. I don't feel our experience matched the overall review score. We will not return.

• Stayed June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I understand the frustration you may have had during your stay and sincerely apologize. It is never acceptable for our front desk staff to be wearing headphones while on duty and trust me when I say that will never happen again. We have also fixed the issue with the air on the 3rd floor. Unfortunately during your stay we had a couple of guests who decided not to respect others around them. I feel your frustration in having to call twice. We are continually updating our procedures and training to prevent such issues going forward. I do hope that you will give us a second chance to make that first impression.
NORTH DAKOTA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This hotel was excellent- rooms were very clean, pool & hot tub were nice. Close to restaurants. They have an awesome breakfast- They even served hamburgers and salad one night..Staff is very nice to deal with...would DEFINATELY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL! 5 STARS!! *****

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Cameron C, General Manager at Sleep Inn & Suites, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are glad that you were able to enjoy our complimentary dinner. We look forward to having you as our guest again.
Washington. MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

This hotel is a nice clean hotel. Check in was quick and friendly. The hotel was exactly what I expected from the description on the hotel website. The hotel is located close to many restaurants on 28th street and many stores also on 28th street. It is about 10-15 minutes to downtown Grand Rapids. The hotel was in a safe nice area. Breakfast was ok we ate early and everything was clean and stocked and the lady working was pleasant. The hotel is a great affordable option to consider staying in while visiting Grand Rapids. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review. We are ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Been to Sleep Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!