“travelling with our dog” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #32 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ottawa
“travelling with our dog”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

The hotel was great and they are dog friendly. The only issue I have is with the pillows. A king bed with pillows the size of throw cushions doesn't cut it. There are many places around to eat supper. We were just travelling through. The breakfast was good with everything you might want unless you are super fussy.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Somis, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2014

Perfect place for an early morning flight! Rooms were clean, spacious ,& most of all quiet! Scheduled our free shuttle the night before for 4:30 am & they had coffee & fruit waiting in the lobby, nice touch..

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Ridgecrest, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2014

After over 13 hours at the GRR airport (whimper), my airline called for a shuttle to take me to the Clarion for the night while we waited for my airplane to be fixed. By that point, I think I'd have been thrilled with anything reasonably clean.

The shuttle driver was pleasant without expecting a worn-out non-traveler to converse. One star right there. The hotel was almost next door to an Applebee's (I wanted tried and true food by that point) and across the street from a shopping center so I could walk to get a fresh t-shirt at Target. So that made me happy when we arrived.

The hotel staff was pleasant, helpful, and courteous. They knew how to deal with the voucher thing I had (I was clueless, having never been in that situation again) and even encouraged me to go get dinner while it was still available in the dining area. I opted for said restaurant just because I needed to know I'd like what I was served. That said, the food smelled delicious.

As an example of their customer service, while I was at the counter, someone called asking about a reservation, and based upon the agent's answers, I could tell the person was being quite difficult--wanting everything for practically nothing. The agent was pleasant, courteous, and bent over backwards to be helpful without going against the hotel policies. I was impressed.

My room was clean, inviting, and appeared to have been renovated in the past year or so. The beds were VERY high, but they were also very comfortable, so I had no complaints.

My wake up call came right on time, and when their shuttle driver didn't arrive for the 4 a.m. shuttle, they arranged with another hotel to pick us up, so at 4:30 when I went downstairs to get on the shuttle, the Best Western shuttle arrived just a couple of minutes later. Amazing service.

If I need to be near the airport in Grand Rapids again, I'll definitely stay there.

Room Tip: The first floor is surprisingly quiet. I never heard anyone overhead, so that was a plus.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Lake Elsinore, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I had my doubts about 3 star, but I was only in for one night...how bad could it be. I checked Priceline for airport shuttle...Check! I checked the Clarion website for airport shuttle....Check! Got in to the airport just before midnight, called for the shuttle....UNcheck! "We normally quit at midnight, but it was slow tonight so we let the driver go home early, you will need to take a cab" Next morning, Debbie (Manager??) said it normally stopped at 10 pm, and said she couldn't be held to what Priceline said. When I pulled the website up...ON THE SPOT....that did not indicate anything about limited service....she said the "Website was old!!" It seems to me a good manager would have covered the $14 and kept a good business traveller.....I guess not! And the beds were hard and half the lamps in the room didn't work....never again!!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

We don't often stay in a Clarion so were pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and well laid out. Our room had a king size bed with a couch. Big flat screen tv but pretty dismal selection of channels. Internet worked great/

The bed was super comfortable, lots of soft towels, great water pressure and plenty of hot water. The breakfast had a nice selection of eggs, bacon, potataoes, biscuits, yogurt, fruit, waffles. However the scrambled eggs were definitely "not real". They tasted like they were powder so I didn't eat them and opted for a hard boiled egg instead.

Lots of restaurant and shopping choices nearby.

Our room was free by using our Choice hotel points. Not sure I would pay $124 for the room when others in the area are about $50.00 cheaper a night

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

We arrived at about 12am. First thing I noticed was a filthy light switch ruffled comforter with big dirty spots. Towels were thrown on the shelf toilet seat up and the guest notices scattered in the room. They upgraded us to a suite. I glanced and removed the bed spread so I can Check the sheets because it was a black spot on the comforter and everything else was okay. But the floors weren't vacuumed had crumbs on them. The tub ran from behind and running the shower it filled up the tub like a bath and wouldn't go down until I turned the water off completely. I was going to use the mini fridge but it didn't work and when I went to use the regular fridge it had wasted dried milk on the shelves. We had a full kitchen and was hoping to get some utensils to eat our food. It had 1 dirty spoon and a few other utensils but nothing going else to eat with. The dishwasher had a dirty pot in it. The table had some dishes on it, not sets. The table and chairs and floor were all out dated. Nothing was renovated except probably the kitchen counter and lights over it. Oh and the light switch was hanging on by blue tape...false advertisement and the worst 3☆ I've ever been to. I would've given It a 1 1/2 at best

• Stayed July 2014
Ann arbor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

I was here with some friends after we were driving home and got stranded because of a rainstorm. This was the only place in town that had a room available. We walked in and it was very outdated, but we figured we could deal with that. When we went to bed we found a blood stain on the comforter, a dead bug on the top sheet and a stain that looked like puss and blood on the fitted sheet. We went to the front desk and they gave us a new sheet and a blanket, so we had to make our own bed at 2 am. In the morning at checkout we told the manager (Debbie) what happened and she was very rude to us and one of her staff members helping us. She told us that the best she could do was give us 10% off. Only 10% off for a blood stain? We will not be returning to any clarion.

• Stayed July 2014

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites Airport? Share your experiences!