“Good stay overall” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Topeka, Kansas
“Good stay overall”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend while apartment hunting in Grand Rapids. The room was clean, and had everything I needed for a weekend stay - Microwave, fridge, 2 burner cooktop, kitchen table, sofa, tvs in living room and bedroom. The walls were thin, I could hear the people above me when they ran the shower, flushed the toilet, etc, but not dissimilar to other hotels I have stayed at in this price range and not unexpected for me.

David at the front desk was great- friendly and personable for my whole stay. I checked in about 2 hours earlier than planned on Friday, but my room was ready and I was able to drop off my luggage before heading to appointments. Breakfast was the standard continental fare - eggs, bacon or sausage, breads and muffins,cereal, fruit, oatmeal, waffles. Juice and coffee. Saved me time in the mornings. There's a Starbucks not far away, off 28th and E. Beltline, if you prefer lattes and cappucinos in the AM.

Location was good for me - close to the airport and not far from I-96. My GPS was able to take me to it with no issues. It is hard to see from East Paris and 28th St, as the hotel sits back behind a strip mall.

Would stay here again if I need a hotel in the area, particularly if I need a temp housing solution while waiting for my apartment to be ready for move in. Like the ability to buy my own food and make my own meals on a longer term basis, and the large size of the rooms make it more livable for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Had a room around the back side of the hotel, away from the elevators, and did not have much foot tr...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

197 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Metro Detroit
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Was unable to maintain temperature in room, notified front desk several times. No luck. Noise from upper floor, did not allow us to sleep, lodged complaints. Food odor during meals could be smelled in all hallways & in room, was not pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GrandRapidsHWS_GM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Hello Ramy A,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are very happy that you chose our hotel for your recent stay, we are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your stay with us.

I truly apologize if you were inconvenienced by noises from the upper floor and if you had any troubles with your heating unit in your room. Our main concern is for all our guests to experience an exceptional stay and I sincerely apologize if we were not able to deliver this for you. Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to improve our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apologies and we hope that next time you are in town; you consider staying with us again
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We always have a very relaxing stay at Homewood Suites! They welcome our pets, have a very very nice breakfast and Mon-Thurs. have a dinner as well. (Free) The pool is 4ft deep, which is great for my young kids. Fitness room is very nice and have a business room is handy. Wi-fi as well. I cannot say enough good things about the staff!!! A great value!

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Milford, Ohio, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

The rooms are very nice, pretty and clean. But I am a paraplegic confined to a wheelchair with no use of my legs. If you are a quad or para I would not stay here. The beds are so high I needed extra help getting onto the bed. We also had to move the bed to be able to get my wheelchair on the side of the bed I use. I mentioned the bed being to tall for me and the lady told me that the rooms are going to be under construction soon and she will mention it to them. A lot of help that was. Also the kitchen cabinets are out of my reach. They did have a really nice electronic hoyer lift in the pool. Unfortunately I did not get to use it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
GrandRapidsHWS_GM, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Hello Judi R,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback about your recent stay with us. I'm glad that you found our rooms nice and clean, and noticed our new electronic pool lift. As you mentioned, our hotel is starting a renovation and one of the focus areas is making the bedrooms more accessible which should make future stays more enjoyable.

We appreciate your business and hope you will come back to test out our remodeled rooms later this year.

Rob Schmidt
Negaunee, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Stayed here for the first time in January when Hawthorne Suites gave our reserved room away. Both times we were very pleased with the staff and accomodations. The price may be a little higher than Hawthorne Suites but it is worth it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Linden
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

If I could bucket my ratings they would be as follows: Rating 5 (excellent): booking the reservation, changing room to be near others we were traveling with. Rating 3 (avg): Hotel staff was pleasant, room was big enough for two adults, two tweens. Nice to have full kitchen. Rating 1 (terrible): I agree that the hotel is dated and not super 'clean feeling'. Stains on room furniture, significant rips in carpet. Rating 2 (poor): after checking in, we left and came back to our room to a nice note welcoming "some other guest name" to the hotel with snacks and waters in fridge... a little nervous about that considering we had already been checked in for several hours!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
GrandRapidsHWS_GM, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hi Jennifer R,

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We love hearing from our guests. It really helps us to pinpoint areas of improvement and give kudos to our staff for a job well done!
I am so happy that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful. They truly enjoy working to make our guests as comfortable as possible. I would like to apologize for the negative impression our furnishings left you. We are scheduled to begin a complete renovation in very soon. We will be renovating all of our guest suites, breakfast area, lobby/lodge and exercise facility. We are very excited to show everyone the finished product! We would love to see you again when your travels bring you to the Grand Rapids area!

Thank you again for your review!
Cassaundra Hickok
Director of Sales
Homewood Suites by Hilton-Grand Rapids
616-285-7100
Vanderbilt, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Room was clean, well appointed, and large enough to accomodate two adults and two toddlers. Breakfast offered something for everyone and was well made and presented. Staff was incredibly friendly and helpful, especially the breakfast staff. Pool was a little cool but the kids loved it anyway. Nice, quiet executive center, great to get away from the kids while I wrapped up a little business. This will definitely be my go-to for Grand Rapids accomodations.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Homewood Suites by Hilton Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!