“Super clean!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Super clean!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

This small hotel is a great spot in an excellent location. The hotel is less than a mile from the highway and 28th st. Just minutes away from everything you need.
The lobby was so beautiful and comfortable. I couldn't get over how clean it was. You could tell it was family run and they take great pride in this hotel. Everyone I met was so friendly and smiled.
The continental breakfast was good, it had all the essentials. Just wish they would have a few more Gluten free options.
Great price if you book online.

I would recommend this very clean hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2013

42 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Howard City, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed at the Econo Lodge Thurs-Sat. Very impressed with the quality of service! Rooms were very clean-I even looked in the corners-EXCEPTIONAL! The staff seemed to be a family, very helpful and friendly. The cheapest place in town but better service than most! Free breakfast in the morning, hot waffles,yogurt,fruit, breads/bagels/muffins and cereal, milk,coffee,juice. Service with a smile! I would stay here again and I will encourage others to stay here also. Thank you for making our girls weekend out exceptional!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Genesee, Michigan, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

The Econo Lodge & Suites served its purpose! My daughter and I wanted to visit for a couple of days and wanted a place that we could get a good nights sleep and not have to pay a fortune for it! We arrived at the Suite put our bags down, changed clothes and off wewent sit-seeing! We returned after a long day to sit on a comfortable couch to watch television then retired for the evening. The next morning we had a light breakfast from the continential bar, got ready, packed our bags and off we went touring again!
The accomadations weren't fancy but the service was nice and they were very friendly. The rooms were clean. The tub needs some updating but we didn't take a shower, just washed up, so it didnt effect my happiness at all.
My daughter and I both agreed that if that was all we were going to do that we would visit again. Excellent price for a suite. I am glad that I got the bed though, never thought too much of pull out sofas!
Very nice stay, thank you to the staff at Econo Lodge & Suites in Grand Rapids.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Ludington, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

I have now stayed at this Econo Lodge four times as it is a five minute drive to the Kent International Airport. The owner, Vick Patel, tries his best to run an efficient and clean place. I needed a ride late one night back from the airport during a horrible snow storm and he was there to pick me up within 10 minutes of my phone call. Natoya Carrillo, one of his employees, was also very accommodating when we requested a room change on another visit. The breakfast is pretty simple but who cares when what you need most is someone reliable to drive you back and forth efficiently to the Airport.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
BoyneCity, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

I had scoped this place out thinking I was going to try it out on my return trip before driving home in the wee hours of the morning. But the horrible weather coming set me on my travels 12 hours earlier and I needed a place to stay before I caught the train in the morning. The price was right and the reviews were mostly very good. People, be honest when writing reviews people like myself count on your truthfulness and use it in selecting places to stay. I had no difficulties finding this hotel. The gal at the desk was quiet until I started asking questions and warmed right up to me. She helped me with breakfast foods at check in knowing I would be gone when they served breakfast at 7:30 am, seems a little late for travelers like me but no worries. My first impression of the room was wow so big. It was like a mini apartment, it had a living room, dressing area/kitchen bedroom and bathroom. First problem the toilet seat. It looked like it had been under water cause it was ALL bumpy and had spots of exposed seat material compressed wood showing, disgusting. This I mentioned at check out. She said she would tell the manager. Everything seemed clean. The towels were very worn and a bit dingy. Ok time to sleep, the bed was pretty comfortable not a Marriott though, the three pillows on the bed were all different types I guess you get to pick which one best fits your comfort. I didn't find one that worked so great. The hotel is located next to a freeway and I asked if I could be on the opposite side, wrong choice! There's a restaurant bar on that side with a very large parking lot that was filled to the max with cars. Mind you this was a Saturday night. They played loud music until 2 in the morning and I could hear it in my hotel room despite the wicked wind from the storm on top of it.I didn't get much sleep. Not the hotels fault, right. Before I arrived at the hotel I was going to grab a pair of ear plugs which I had forgotten to pack and didn't, I should have. There's a Meijer's around the corner. With this review I'm not sure I'm spending my return trip here. It's on a Tuesday so probably no party going on at the bar and will check my room out first before I settle in, if I go back. Overall considering the issues it was a decent place to stay and in a safe area.

Room Tip: This road is right off 28th street which has a huge amount of hotels on it.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
saugatuck
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

Recommend this to anyone who just needs space and peace. I especially reccomend the King Suite. Although there is no pool, we enjoyed our stay here. Breakfast was decent...according to the price. I can understand the breakfast situation becuz of the hotel corporation status is not as high as other hotels like Holiday Inn. The manager was polite enough to let my friends and family visit where unlike other hotels, other people are not allowed in the hotel unless hotel guests. At the end of my stay, during checkout, this lady gave me a razor as a complimentary gift.

Room Tip: King Suite
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Ferrum, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was a nice place to stay...very spacious room, furniture was a little soiled, but overall the room was nice. However, if you ar a non-smoker, or you are traveling with children, I advise you not to stay here. The reason is because the patio area adjacent to the front door (the entrance everyone must use, there is no other entrance) is a hang out area for smokers and people coming and going from the bar next door (Gippers). The owners do not seem to care that their guest have to walk past guys sitting on the picnic table out front, smoking and drinking alcohol at all hours of the day and night. Also, the noise from the bar next door is very loud at times, especially in the summer because they have an outdoor patio at Gippers, and the noise carries all the way inside the hotel rooms. We were awakened at 1:30am by the hooting and yelling from next door. The bar patrons wander across the parking lot, and end up smoking and drinking on the hotel property. As a woman alone, it was very intimidating to have to walk past men smoking and drinking just to get to and from my car. I doubt that Choice Hotels would approve of this situation. The owners could quite easily designate a more private, out of the way, place for people to smoke outside.
Also, be advised if you are planning to stay here with a pet. The hotel website states they are "pet friendly" and any size dog can stay in a room for an additional $10 a night. When we checked in and they found out we had a 53 pound Greyhound, they wanted to charge us $15 a night. In the end, after meeting our sweet Pauline, the owners realized she was much quieter and calmer than most little dogs, and they did reduce the charge to $10 a night.
Our stay at this property would have been perfect if not for the noise from the bar next door, and all the drinking and smoking next to the front door of the hotel property. Maybe a call to the local police would have put an end to the alcohol consumption in the parking lot, and the owners could easily do something about the drinking and smoking at the entrance to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the highway side at the far end of the hallway are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!