“Drinking & Smoking” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ferrum, Virginia
“Drinking & Smoking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

This was a nice place to stay...very spacious room, furniture was a little soiled, but overall the room was nice. However, if you ar a non-smoker, or you are traveling with children, I advise you not to stay here. The reason is because the patio area adjacent to the front door (the entrance everyone must use, there is no other entrance) is a hang out area for smokers and people coming and going from the bar next door (Gippers). The owners do not seem to care that their guest have to walk past guys sitting on the picnic table out front, smoking and drinking alcohol at all hours of the day and night. Also, the noise from the bar next door is very loud at times, especially in the summer because they have an outdoor patio at Gippers, and the noise carries all the way inside the hotel rooms. We were awakened at 1:30am by the hooting and yelling from next door. The bar patrons wander across the parking lot, and end up smoking and drinking on the hotel property. As a woman alone, it was very intimidating to have to walk past men smoking and drinking just to get to and from my car. I doubt that Choice Hotels would approve of this situation. The owners could quite easily designate a more private, out of the way, place for people to smoke outside.
Also, be advised if you are planning to stay here with a pet. The hotel website states they are "pet friendly" and any size dog can stay in a room for an additional $10 a night. When we checked in and they found out we had a 53 pound Greyhound, they wanted to charge us $15 a night. In the end, after meeting our sweet Pauline, the owners realized she was much quieter and calmer than most little dogs, and they did reduce the charge to $10 a night.
Our stay at this property would have been perfect if not for the noise from the bar next door, and all the drinking and smoking next to the front door of the hotel property. Maybe a call to the local police would have put an end to the alcohol consumption in the parking lot, and the owners could easily do something about the drinking and smoking at the entrance to the hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the highway side at the far end of the hallway are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank greytmom1122

Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Amazing place and location with many attractions near by. I really recommend this place for anyone who comes to Grand Rapids. Rooms were very clean and very cozy. The room has plenty of space, different from other hotels. It is usually peacefull and quiet but there is some renovation going on right now--upgrading the hotel, alitle noisy, but personally I have stayed here plenty of times and my children, my wife, and I love it. Staff is very friendly, man checked us in and his 17 year old daughter checked us out. At checkout, they gave me a new razor as a thankful gift. We had a shuttle to the airport, park n fly price is very understandable. I tipped the man $10 because he personally gave breakfast to us at 5:30am when breakfast starts at 7:30am during weekends. I stay

Room Tip: King Suites are the better ones
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Bryan S
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Do yourself a favor when you visit Grand Rapids-DONT VISIT THE ECONO LODGE on Kraft...WORST HOTEL EVER. They tried kicking us out at midnight because they accidently gave us SOMEONE ELSE'S room (he said it was reserved for the owner/manager)! He tells me to go to my room and get my credit card and ID. So I go up to the room to get it and HE HAD LOCKED US OUT! So I went back downstairs and told him I cant get my ID/CC if I cant get into my room, obviously. Then his 16 yr old daughter comes out (she checked us in). He then told me she made the mistake (16 yrs old working at midnight, child labor laws?????), but it was up to us to get out of the room. Of course after a loud discussion he changed his mind and let us stay but only AFTER we offered to "pay the difference" because we got a discounted rate (they thought we were the owner/manager I guess, never noticed we signed for a guest named Miller when our last name is Gran*****...). So the real issue was that he WANTED MORE MONEY. But wait...it gets better. We were woke up by the sound of constant hammering NEXT to our window at 7:30/8:00AM. I call front desk to ask if the hammering could stop for a few hrs so guests could sleep and he told me NO! The worst part about it was the guys attitude. He was rude to me, I could BARELY understand him, he was unprofessional, dishonest and a coward for blaming his 16 yr old daughter for the mistake.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank csmcintyre
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Stay here when we visit GR. It's a clean and comfortable hotel with plenty of room to stretch out in the two room suites. The only disappointment was they have removed direct tv from their service! Standard continental breakfast. Good, no frills stay!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Hayhay023
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I travel for business weekly and thought I would try this place. HUGE mistake. My trip was cancelled and I tried for two days to call the hotel and nobody answered and the automated voice then hung up on me.
Finally I got through to cancel and the person on the other end barely spoke english. I checked my VISA later and saw that they still charged me even though I cancelled. I called again and the hotel person told me I was stuck and there was nothing I could do.
I took care of it through VISA, but the absolute WORST customer service I have ever dealt with in my 20 years of business travel.
Avoid this hotel at all costs!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Ron P
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were in Grand Rapids for a hockey game, and I stayed overnight at the Econo Lodge and Suites with my teenage son. First, let me say by giving this a 5 out of 5 rating, I am not at all saying I think this is a five star hotel. It is not. This rating is based on the comfort, cleanliness, and value of the hotel, which were all excellent. For our stay, we payed just over $60 for the night, tax included, with our AAA discount.

We stayed in a two queen bed suite. The suite itself was very roomy. There was a room in front with a queen size bed, a desk and chair, and television with DirectTV. This room also had a DVD/CD player in it. There was a little kitchenette area, with a small fridge, microwave, sink, and coffee maker. This was by the bathroom, which separated, the two rooms. In the back room there was another queen bed, with another television, and a closet. There was a thermostat to control the temperature in the room, which was very comfortable.

The hotel is in a nice area of Grand Rapids, near the airport, and a ten minute drive from the downtown area. There were several fast food establishments within a mile, and a sports bar and grill right next to the hotel itself. The free continental breakfast included most of the standard fare, with assorted fruits, pastries, cereals, and juices. There was also a belgian waffle maker.

We would happily choose this hotel again if we were staying in the Grand Rapids area. It would even be good for an extended stay of a few days, with the kitchenette area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank rinkratsx4
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were in Grand Rapids for a family funeral and needed a place to stay for 5 days. The Econo Lodge was the ideal place. The price was economical and the rooms were equipped with refrigerators and microwave ovens which were very convenient for us. The location is quite good--near the airport and just off the very busy 28th Street. You could hear traffic noises, but other than that, the place was very quiet. The have a breakfast room where you can help yourself to the basics (cereal, coffee, bagels, etc.) We liked the setup of the rooms--one room had a separate sitting room apart from the bedroom, and another room had the 2 full beds separated by the bathroom--allowing for privacy. I have stayed at other places in Grand Rapids, but from now on, the Econo Lodge will be my first choice. One more thing, they also allow pets.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family