“Worst hotel Ever” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Worst hotel Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

Do yourself a favor when you visit Grand Rapids-DONT VISIT THE ECONO LODGE on Kraft...WORST HOTEL EVER. They tried kicking us out at midnight because they accidently gave us SOMEONE ELSE'S room (he said it was reserved for the owner/manager)! He tells me to go to my room and get my credit card and ID. So I go up to the room to get it and HE HAD LOCKED US OUT! So I went back downstairs and told him I cant get my ID/CC if I cant get into my room, obviously. Then his 16 yr old daughter comes out (she checked us in). He then told me she made the mistake (16 yrs old working at midnight, child labor laws?????), but it was up to us to get out of the room. Of course after a loud discussion he changed his mind and let us stay but only AFTER we offered to "pay the difference" because we got a discounted rate (they thought we were the owner/manager I guess, never noticed we signed for a guest named Miller when our last name is Gran*****...). So the real issue was that he WANTED MORE MONEY. But wait...it gets better. We were woke up by the sound of constant hammering NEXT to our window at 7:30/8:00AM. I call front desk to ask if the hammering could stop for a few hrs so guests could sleep and he told me NO! The worst part about it was the guys attitude. He was rude to me, I could BARELY understand him, he was unprofessional, dishonest and a coward for blaming his 16 yr old daughter for the mistake.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

Stay here when we visit GR. It's a clean and comfortable hotel with plenty of room to stretch out in the two room suites. The only disappointment was they have removed direct tv from their service! Standard continental breakfast. Good, no frills stay!

• Stayed February 2012
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I travel for business weekly and thought I would try this place. HUGE mistake. My trip was cancelled and I tried for two days to call the hotel and nobody answered and the automated voice then hung up on me.
Finally I got through to cancel and the person on the other end barely spoke english. I checked my VISA later and saw that they still charged me even though I cancelled. I called again and the hotel person told me I was stuck and there was nothing I could do.
I took care of it through VISA, but the absolute WORST customer service I have ever dealt with in my 20 years of business travel.
Avoid this hotel at all costs!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were in Grand Rapids for a hockey game, and I stayed overnight at the Econo Lodge and Suites with my teenage son. First, let me say by giving this a 5 out of 5 rating, I am not at all saying I think this is a five star hotel. It is not. This rating is based on the comfort, cleanliness, and value of the hotel, which were all excellent. For our stay, we payed just over $60 for the night, tax included, with our AAA discount.

We stayed in a two queen bed suite. The suite itself was very roomy. There was a room in front with a queen size bed, a desk and chair, and television with DirectTV. This room also had a DVD/CD player in it. There was a little kitchenette area, with a small fridge, microwave, sink, and coffee maker. This was by the bathroom, which separated, the two rooms. In the back room there was another queen bed, with another television, and a closet. There was a thermostat to control the temperature in the room, which was very comfortable.

The hotel is in a nice area of Grand Rapids, near the airport, and a ten minute drive from the downtown area. There were several fast food establishments within a mile, and a sports bar and grill right next to the hotel itself. The free continental breakfast included most of the standard fare, with assorted fruits, pastries, cereals, and juices. There was also a belgian waffle maker.

We would happily choose this hotel again if we were staying in the Grand Rapids area. It would even be good for an extended stay of a few days, with the kitchenette area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were in Grand Rapids for a family funeral and needed a place to stay for 5 days. The Econo Lodge was the ideal place. The price was economical and the rooms were equipped with refrigerators and microwave ovens which were very convenient for us. The location is quite good--near the airport and just off the very busy 28th Street. You could hear traffic noises, but other than that, the place was very quiet. The have a breakfast room where you can help yourself to the basics (cereal, coffee, bagels, etc.) We liked the setup of the rooms--one room had a separate sitting room apart from the bedroom, and another room had the 2 full beds separated by the bathroom--allowing for privacy. I have stayed at other places in Grand Rapids, but from now on, the Econo Lodge will be my first choice. One more thing, they also allow pets.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We have stayed here twice one year apart and by far this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. It is very clean and well maintained. We would recommend this as a great place to stay. The first stay we wondered if it had just been remodeled it was so nice and clean and fresh. But now a year later it still looks like new.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Muskegon, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

To be fair the hotel was clean and the room was quite nice for the money, although the park and fly option was a problem. When I arrived at the airport and called to be picked up I was told that the owner who also drives the shuttle was out of town and that their advise to me was to pay for a taxi ride to the hotel. When I complained they argued with me for a while then finally agreed to call the owner to see if he would approve reimbursing me for the $12.00 taxi ride which he apparently agreed to. After paying the cab driver and getting a receipt I went into the hotel to get reimbursed where the desk clerk told me that the taxi driver overcharged me by $2.00 when in fact he actually knocked off 10 cents. Then they told me that $10.00 was all they could give me, I couldn’t care less about the $2.00 but was appalled at the treatment. Like my father told me “It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and only one day to ruin it”

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Econo Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!