“Clean and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
“Clean and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2012 via mobile

Stay here when we visit GR. It's a clean and comfortable hotel with plenty of room to stretch out in the two room suites. The only disappointment was they have removed direct tv from their service! Standard continental breakfast. Good, no frills stay!

• Stayed February 2012

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Columbus, Ohio, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I travel for business weekly and thought I would try this place. HUGE mistake. My trip was cancelled and I tried for two days to call the hotel and nobody answered and the automated voice then hung up on me.
Finally I got through to cancel and the person on the other end barely spoke english. I checked my VISA later and saw that they still charged me even though I cancelled. I called again and the hotel person told me I was stuck and there was nothing I could do.
I took care of it through VISA, but the absolute WORST customer service I have ever dealt with in my 20 years of business travel.
Avoid this hotel at all costs!!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2012

We were in Grand Rapids for a hockey game, and I stayed overnight at the Econo Lodge and Suites with my teenage son. First, let me say by giving this a 5 out of 5 rating, I am not at all saying I think this is a five star hotel. It is not. This rating is based on the comfort, cleanliness, and value of the hotel, which were all excellent. For our stay, we payed just over $60 for the night, tax included, with our AAA discount.

We stayed in a two queen bed suite. The suite itself was very roomy. There was a room in front with a queen size bed, a desk and chair, and television with DirectTV. This room also had a DVD/CD player in it. There was a little kitchenette area, with a small fridge, microwave, sink, and coffee maker. This was by the bathroom, which separated, the two rooms. In the back room there was another queen bed, with another television, and a closet. There was a thermostat to control the temperature in the room, which was very comfortable.

The hotel is in a nice area of Grand Rapids, near the airport, and a ten minute drive from the downtown area. There were several fast food establishments within a mile, and a sports bar and grill right next to the hotel itself. The free continental breakfast included most of the standard fare, with assorted fruits, pastries, cereals, and juices. There was also a belgian waffle maker.

We would happily choose this hotel again if we were staying in the Grand Rapids area. It would even be good for an extended stay of a few days, with the kitchenette area.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We were in Grand Rapids for a family funeral and needed a place to stay for 5 days. The Econo Lodge was the ideal place. The price was economical and the rooms were equipped with refrigerators and microwave ovens which were very convenient for us. The location is quite good--near the airport and just off the very busy 28th Street. You could hear traffic noises, but other than that, the place was very quiet. The have a breakfast room where you can help yourself to the basics (cereal, coffee, bagels, etc.) We liked the setup of the rooms--one room had a separate sitting room apart from the bedroom, and another room had the 2 full beds separated by the bathroom--allowing for privacy. I have stayed at other places in Grand Rapids, but from now on, the Econo Lodge will be my first choice. One more thing, they also allow pets.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

We have stayed here twice one year apart and by far this is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. It is very clean and well maintained. We would recommend this as a great place to stay. The first stay we wondered if it had just been remodeled it was so nice and clean and fresh. But now a year later it still looks like new.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Muskegon, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

To be fair the hotel was clean and the room was quite nice for the money, although the park and fly option was a problem. When I arrived at the airport and called to be picked up I was told that the owner who also drives the shuttle was out of town and that their advise to me was to pay for a taxi ride to the hotel. When I complained they argued with me for a while then finally agreed to call the owner to see if he would approve reimbursing me for the $12.00 taxi ride which he apparently agreed to. After paying the cab driver and getting a receipt I went into the hotel to get reimbursed where the desk clerk told me that the taxi driver overcharged me by $2.00 when in fact he actually knocked off 10 cents. Then they told me that $10.00 was all they could give me, I couldn’t care less about the $2.00 but was appalled at the treatment. Like my father told me “It takes a lifetime to build a reputation and only one day to ruin it”

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Wheaton, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2010

This must be the nicest Econolodge in the U.S.! Every room is a suite with microwave, fridge, etc. and pull-out couch in the living room. Everything is immaculate and in good repair, with so many extra touches (flowers outside, cookies in the evening, etc.) We've never stayed anywhere in this price range that was half as nice.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Econo Lodge & Suites? Share your experiences!