“Loved the Travelodge in Grand Rapids, Mi” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #33 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Bethel, Oklahoma
“Loved the Travelodge in Grand Rapids, Mi”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2008

I arrived in Grand Rapids after dark on Sunday evening after driving 982 miles with no reservations. My intent was to check out the locations of the motels before I checked for availability, being a female traveling alone I was concerned about safety. I stopped for gas, got a local phone book and started my search for motels. There were many on 28th street, so I started that direction. I drove 28th and found the Travelodge to be favorable.
The owner and family were amazing. I questioned whether the area was safe, quiet, etc. and he assured me that all would be well and it was. I asked if I could get help unloading my Oxygen machine and he said certainly. By the time I drove around to my room, there he stood with two of his sons to assist me with the task of getting everything to my room. They were so polite and courteous. The next morning we had lake effect snow. The sidewalk was cleared from my room to the drivers side of my car --- amazing! I had traveled all over the US and have stayed in 5 star hotels, but have never felt so secure as I did during my stay here. The room and whole building was so clean, I was really impressed. I would definitely recommend this motel and will stay again.

Stayed November 2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

Didn't like the place much. Needs update. Hallways need upgrade badly, and smells like Indian food. Room was ok, don't think it's entirely clean, old towels and sheets. Location is kind of bad, rundown area, but easy access to the highway though, convenient to get to downtown. Didn't feel quite safe there. Breakfast was ok, not much to say. Night clerks didn't know much about the town.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Location area
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
North America
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2008

I came back to Grand Rapids to see a friend. She works in the Grandville area and suggested a nearby hotel. I pulled in at 12:30 am with my daughter. We were tired. The place was a mess, so rather than stay we drove across town to a known property - Travelodge. I have already written a review of this property and I am happy to say that this trip has proved my first review. The rooms are clean and fresh smelling, the air conditioners work, the continental breakfast is tasty and the staff are friendly and welcoming - right from the manager on down to housekeeping, the beds are comfortable and the sheets are soft.
The property is well-kept inside and out. My daughter and I felt safe in this location, safety is important to me. There is a Walgreen's just west on the opposite side of the street. I said last time that it was a Guardian, it may have been then, or I was confused. This pharmacy is open 24 hours which is very helpful to those of us who need a pepto in the middle of the night. The pharmacy is a short walk from the premises. There is an Applebees a few miles east on 28th, and a BD's Mongolian Grill a few miles west along 28th. The hotel is near highway 131 and that highway links to the road for the mall (which has a beautiful carousel in the middle of it for those with children) which is along 44th eastbound. There are many other restaurants in that area as well. West along 28th are a few fast food burger places.
The property has an in-ground indoor pool which has been immaculate the whole stay despite large crowds of children this past weekend. The temperature is comfortable and the depth is only 3-4 feet so the little ones can play too. There is a small patio through the pool doors with some very happy rose bushes and a few tables at which you can sit and enjoy the birds and sunshine. Ice and vending machines are on all floors. There is satellite tv in the rooms and wireless high speed internet .
This is the only place I will stay in Grand Rapids on future visits. I have learned my lesson!

M

• Liked — The atmosphere and cleanliness.
  • Disliked — There was construction on 28th at the entrance.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Overgaard, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2007

Our large room appeared clean. There was a little mold around the bathtub caulking and the room air-conditioner smelled a bit musty. The bathtub did not have anti-slip strips, and the melamine paneling around it had no soap dish or grab bar. Motel was conveniently located near the Gerald Ford Museum. A good continental breakfast was available.

• Liked — Its convenient location to the Gerald Ford Museum
  • Disliked — Fluorescent light bulbs gave room a dark appearance.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2007

Our two-night stay was an excellent experience. Facility and room cleanliness a plus. Staff friendly and accomodating

Stayed September 2007
Detroit, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

Not luxurious, but very clean and an excellent value. In-room coffee, wireless internet in the rooms and a computer for guest use in the lobby. Breakfast was decent, staff was friendly, I didn't swim in the pool but it looked clean.

Yes, it's not in the most scenic part of town, but it's fine, I certainly felt safe and there are lots of restaurants and stores nearby. If you want a prime location, stay elsewhere and pay more. If you want a basic, well-kept hotel at a good price, this is for you.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Illinois, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2007

My husband and I traveled to Grand Rapids in order to attend a dedication of the Gerald Ford postage stamp, at the Ford Museum. We picked up a hotel book and found the Travelodge with a very reasonable rate.

When we arrived at the motel, we were pleased to be greated by a smiling young desk clerk, Melinda, who willingly allowed us to view our room before our deciding to stay there. After we brought our luggage into the room, the phone rang and it was the desk clerk asking if everything was satisfactory and if there was anything she could do for us. What a treat to have this service in an economical motel! She was helpful in suggesting restaurants we might want to try -- always with a pleasant smile.

The following morning, we had a light breakfast--adequate, but not elaborate (we weren't paying an elaborate rate!) and when we went to pay our bill, I realized that I had left my "Loyalty Card" at home, and therefore would not be able to receive credit for our stay. The morning desk clerk (also with a smile) said she would try to call and get our number. At first she was not successful and I told her I appreciated her attempt. That didn't stop her -- she continued to call and search and within another few minutes, she located our Loyalty Number, and credited our account.

When we returned home, I could not find my address book and remembered using it during our stay at the motel. I immediately called the motel and the "smiling desk clerk" ,who had checked us in, said she would check the lost and found and would call me back. She called back within an hour and reported that my address book was not there. She said she would leave a note for the maid to check further the next morning.

That evening, I received a very pleasant email for the owner/manager of the motel, thanking me for the comment card I had left at the desk when we checked out. Since I now had his email, I immediately replied and told him of my missing phone book.

The happy ending is that my husband found the missing phone book under a seat in our car! So, this was a total Win-Win experience.

I'd recommend this motel because of the service, quality for low price, and pleasant surroundings.

Jackie Favish

• Liked — Price and friendliness
  • Disliked — No free internet use in lobby
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Travelodge Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!