“Recommended” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Plan Ahead, Save 15%
Ranked #33 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Arabic first
Grand Blanc, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I arrived shortly around 5:15 for my 3 o'clock check in. There was a line about 5 deep to check in. There were 2 people at the desk but only one was working, a tall guy in Docker's and no name tag. As I am waiting, I here him tell the lady in front of me that her 2 bedroom (same as I have) isn't available, she is not happy, but leaves to come back later. I try to check in, and am told in a snotty tone "I am going to tell you the same thing as I did her, the 2 bedrooms are not clean yet, we had a few people check out today." This is 2 hours after check in and they can't get the rooms clean, hate to break it to them, but checking out is a normal part of their business they should be able to handle. So I asked him to please check. He calls housekeeping on the walkie-talkie, and she tells him that they only have one left to clean, 332. So he looks at me and says "Just come back in an hour." I point out the fact that if they only have one left to clean, that he was either lying to me or the lady in front of me, as he told two consecutive people that theirs was not clean. I had been on the road and had to cranky children. They did not offer any retribution, even though it was their issue, and did not appreciate the lack of concern from their front staff personnel, it may be isolated to this person, but I will not stay here on my return trips. I called the staybridge and got a rate only $10 more than Hawthorn for a very nice 2 bedroom and a polite staff and they will get my business on all future visits.

Room Tip: Plan on waiting until dusk for them to have a room ready.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Hi there.
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I can tell you that your experience is not typical of our guests here at the Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids. When it rains it pours, and we had several issues that morning that led us to be late in having the 2 bedroom suites fully prepared for our guests by the check in time. We were able to offer smaller rooms to guests while the housekeepers were finishing the larger rooms, however we understand that this option did not work for everyone at that time.
We do hope you would give us another chance, however, we fully support the Staybridge as well, as it is one of our sister properties.
Thanks again for your feedback, and I sincerely apologize that your brief experience was less than satisfactory. If you would like to talk further, please contact me directly.

Kind Regards,
Brooke - GM
Traverse City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

Hotel staff was great, very friendly and welcoming. The room was clean however some items in the room needed repair - shower curtain rod, door lock, window curtain was torn, light bulb needed replacement. So no items relating to cleanliness however comfort, convenience and safety were compromised.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Hawthorn Suites by Wyndham

Brooke F, General Manager at Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Thank you for the nice comments about the staff. We are so proud of the nice, professional staff we have here. I appreciate the comments about the room repair and we will certainly look at these issues immediately.
Thank you for letting us know about your stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Brooke - GM
Lakewood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

The facility was first class but what impressed me was the over the top. I shipped a folding trike to tour mi. I called ahead and the manager was most help full. They received the trike from fed ex held it until I checked in and are now holding the box until I finishe the bike tour. One of the handy men helped with a bicycle adjustment I did not have the tools to accomplish.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to review the Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids!
We were so happy to be able to assist in making your Michigan trip memorable. We appreciate the good comments and we hope to see you soon at the Hawthorn Suites! We hope the bike trip is going great!

Kindest Regards,
Brooke - General Manager

Been to Hawthorn Suites Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!