“Outstanding staff!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
chicago
“Outstanding staff!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Without going into all of the details, I was locked out of my room at this property. The standard re-entry with the manager's key would not work because the security bar was also in place. Thank you, thank you, thank you to Paige (assistant general manager), Kyle ( director of sales and marketing) and Dave (maintenance) for giving up your evening to spend 2 hours working a thin wire with a hook under the door and up to the inside handle! These employees came back to the property to take care of this problem. I can't thank them enough - what a great staff!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Livonia, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

I am very picky about the hotels I stay in, and #1 on my list is cleanliness. This was one of the cleanest hotel rooms that I've stayed in! What a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, the beds were uncomfortable. My husband and I shared a bed, and all night long we would roll "downhill" to the center of the mattress. I felt like I had to hold on to the edge of the bed in order to not roll. The bed would be fine for a single person, but not for two people. On the other hand, the pillows were plentiful and very substantial. These were not cheap pillows.

The breakfast bar was nicer than most, with lots of choices. However, it was NOT FREE or included, even though we stayed two nights and are Marriott Rewards Gold Members. It was almost $9 per person. Disappointing.

The staff was very friendly, polite and helpful. It was nice to be greeted each time we left or returned during the day.

The only thing that would keep me from staying here again were the mattresses.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Kyle H, Director of Sales at Courtyard Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Ciocia_Mom,

I want to thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our hotel on TripAdvisor. We greatly appreciate and use the feedback to make each guest experience the best that we can.

I look forward to sharing your kind words about the cleanliness of the rooms and the overall friendliness of the staff with the entire staff at our daily morning huddle!

With that being said, I am sorry to hear that the bed did not exceed your expectations. The hotel is preparing to undergo a renovation starting in July and this is an area that will be addressed. We look forward to seeing you again and making your next experience at our hotel an even better one!

Thank you again for the kind review.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2014

Stayed here my last night if s business trip. Great room, very clean, friendly staff, absolutely -0- complaints. Sidenote, not upgraded yet as most Courtyards are, will only make it better when completed.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Nick G, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, June 1, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to send us feedback and let us know how we're doing. We truly appreciate the kind comments. We're glad your stay was enjoyable. This property is due for a complete renovation this fall which will include all new guest rooms, public areas, and the addition of The Bistro and Starbucks. We hope to see you again soon!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

Booked a suite and I expected a suite. While checking, was told that since I was traveling alone and did not need the suite for a meeting I was being switched to a regular room. I explained that I booked a suite for a reason and wanted the suite. He apologized and said the suites were over booked and I had to take another room.

The rooms were fine, old style Courtyard has not been updated but that is fine.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Nick G, Manager at Courtyard Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
We sincerly apoligize you didn't get the room you requested. It is our goal to make sure our guests are fully satisfied and I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. Our property will be undergoing a complete renovation in the fall and we will have The Bistro and Starbucks. We are excited for this and we hope you will come see our improvements. Please accept our apoligies for the inconvenience. If you have any further concerns please contact me.

Nick Gillman
Operations Supervisor
Phone: 616-954-0500 x. 604
nick.gillman@cymgrandrapids.com
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Nice convenient location relative to the airport and very easy to spot from the main road. Could use a refresh, but the rooms were clean and the staff helpful and friendly. Will stay here again next time I'm in Grand Rapids.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you so much for the positive feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your stay. We are due for a complete renovation this fall which will include all new guest rooms, public areas, and the addition of a Bistro and Starbucks. We hope you will come see our improvements.

Nick Gillman
Operations Supervisor
Phone: 616-954-0500 x. 604
nick.gillman@cymgrandrapids.com
Somerville, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Although this hotel could use some updating, it is clean, comfortable and has a nice lobby. It is not lux by any means but it is perfectly comfortable and does the job. I stayed in a king suite with a jacuzzi which was not much more than a regular room and it came with a large jetted jacuzzi tub right in the room, which I enjoyed. I don't think I would have called it a suite, however, but it was a nice size with a large, comfortable bed. My room was on the ground floor and one complaint I had was that I had to fight with the curtains to close them. They also had breakfast for $9 each morning although I did not partake in that. I chose this place primarily for its proximity to the airport which was great. Plenty of options for eating around here, though mostly chain options.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Fort Wayne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was absolutely perfect for our needs. We spent 3 nights there this past Labor Day weekend, because I was in need of a small vacation. We chose a room with a whirpool in-suite, because we had our 4-month old daughter with us, and we knew we could not always be out doing stuff, so it would be nice to relax and feel extra comfortable in our own room and not be bored while she napped, etc.

The hotel staff were WONDERFUL. Every single one with whom we came in contact was so friendly, and they recognized us easily after the first time we checked in. They were always kind and attentive. The lobby was nice! There is always ice water out for the guests, as well as coffee and hot water for tea. One evening they had brownies out. :)

The breakfast (Which was $5 per person added to the bill of the room) was pretty good!! It was not a huge selection, but there was plenty of variety to satisfy, and the front-desk ladies took care of us nicely during breakfast, too :)

The pool is the smallest I have seen in a hotel, and it was only 3 feet deep, but it was not bad at all! We just chose to swim at a time when no one else was around, which was like mid-afternoon. There was a hot tub, which we always enjoy, too.

Many reviews have said the hotel was in need of updating. This is true, in that the decor is not the latest, most trendy decor. But I don't think that matters (I can't imagine how much it would cost to constantly be updating carpets, decor, etc so as to not ever look a little outdated). The lobby was beautiful, nonetheless -- every morning I went out and got coffee and sat in a nice couch area with our daughter, so my husband could sleep in a bit, and it was so comfortable and relaxing. Our room was plain, with a few pictures on the wall, but that just did not matter any to us :)

Now I have to talk about the housekeeping! The sweet housekeeping ladies were incredible! They were always smiling at us and making conversation. When my daughter had an accident on the bed sheets, the one lady we spoke to was super understanding and so sweet about it. She immediately got us what we needed and took the old stuff out. And one day while we were gone, they came in and cleaned and refreshed our towels, etc. It was so nice to come back and see a clean bathroom and sink. They even took care to put our things in a little corner of the tub. To me, that wasn't intrusive at all -- it was nice that they took so much care to be neat and make everything look so good :) And I always love a clean toilet :)

I would absolutely recommend this hotel to anyone! I normally don't pay full price for hotel rooms if I can help it, but we planned this trip last-minute and I could not find any deals anywhere, and it was the only one we could find in Grand Rapids with a whirlpool tub that we could afford, so I did not mind paying for it at all. The overall experience of the staff, the atmosphere of the hotel, and the cleanliness of everything was the best experience I have EVER had in a hotel :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Courtyard Grand Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!