“Nicely renovated” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5700 28th Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #36 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Pittsburgh-based
“Nicely renovated”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Just what this business traveler wants and needs...
Great bed, flat-screen TV, renovated baths, with a good shower, and free internet.

Free coffee in the lobby (and coffee maker in the room), and WSJ (not just USAToday).

Nice swimming pool, although I didn't have time this trip to use it.
The lobby renovation is well done.
Desk staff competent and friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Cape Girardeau, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

I took my chances and booked through Priceline and when I got this hotel I was initially disappointed. I previously lived in Grand Rapids and this place was not known to have a good reputation. The reviews on this site left me even more sorry that I tried to save a few bucks on this trip. When I walked in I was pleasantly surprised! The lobby was modern, it was obvious they were in the process of a major renovation but I was still skeptical at what the rooms would be like. I am happy to share that our room was also very nice and the beds and linen were great! The bathrooms are quite small and could be an issue if you have more than a couple of people trying to get ready but there's not much that could be done about that. All the staff was friendly and helpful during our stay as well. My only recommendation for the hotel would be to have refrigerators in all rooms as there is a space for one in the TV chest.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
CrownePlazaGRSales, Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, October 15, 2010
Kelly,
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so happy to hear that despite your previous experience with the hotel you chose to stay with us. We are pleased to tell you that our renovations are 100% complete now, and we just celebrated our grand re-opening. We appreciate your input and hope that you will return to the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids for another stay soon.
Beltsville, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2010

Reserved one room as part of larger block of wedding party. Took 4 attempts to get a satisfactory room. First one had a single King bed instead of the 2 doubles that we had reserved. Second one had non-functioning A/C and a clothes rod in the closet that was falling off the wall. They moved us to a 3rd one because of the A/C problem, but obviously didn't bother to check that room first, because the A/C in that one wasn't working either. This was after completely unpacking in room 2 and packing up again to move to room 3. So they moved us to room #4 which finally had everything working. Make sure to ask for a room that's in the section that's recently been renovated. Rooms in the other sections are literally falling apart.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Lubbock, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

I can tell this used to be an incredibly impressive hotel. However, the carpet is worn, the mattresses are getting considerably less springy, and I am guessing the maintanence staff have to work hard to keep things running. I like that there was a dry sauna, but I could never get it hot. However, they had a good price and they allowed pets, which helped another couple in the group.

Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaGRSales, Public Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, September 10, 2010
We are pleased to inform you that we recently completed a multi-million dollar renovation to our hotel. Our lobby has been remodeled, fitness center expanded, our restaurant has been remodled and opened under a different name, and every single room in the hotel has been renovated. New carpet, furniture, beds, and decoration can be found in all of our guest rooms and suites. We hope that you will give your hotel another try and enjoy our new look.
plainfield il
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2009

They charge double and I had to make
several calls to get my money back
we stay there because the baseball league arrange it

NOT BY CHOICE

i WOULD NEVER GO THERE AGAIN

• Stayed July 2009
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2009

The hotel seemed adequate for a quick night stay. There is one compelling reason to stay here and that is the amount of reward points you can accrue through Priority Clubs. The indoor/outdoor pool is nice and the deck is landscaped nicely. The pool had alot of sand or debris on the bottom and the whirlpool had foam reaching one foot high off the surface of the water. The game room was probably fun for youngsters, but out of date as was the exercies equipment. The exercise room had a couple of cardio machines and no room to stretch at all. The sauna was the most dangerous sauna I've ever encountered in decades of sauna use- so be very careful upon entering or you could easily set your hand, arm or body on the heater. The rooms vary as in most hotels, the fifth floor rooms have high ceilings which might have better air flow than a lower ceiling room. That could be important to you if you find super loud air machines a problem. The air machines in the halls and rooms are astonishingly loud. I turned mine off, opened the sliding door, but the air machines in the rooms next door turned on in the middle of the night, scaring the heck out of me, as they were just unbelievably loud. This is a full service hotel, with a restaurant, lounge, room service and shuttle van. Airlines employees seemed to use this hotel alot, probably for the full service it can provide- however the food was highly industrial, not very healthy or delicious but like the hotel, adequate. The cleanliness could have been better. The bedding was fine, though the "sleep system" is not what I was expecting (perhaps a sleep system matress) but instead a flimsy eye mask, ear plugs and chemical spray for the pillows that did not smell bad. The bathroom was clean though the fixtures leaky and old. The rest of the room was very dusty, though the basic hand touch areas were clean. Hallway outside of our room had what looked like a large spill of kitty litter or something like that right outside the elevator, which remained for a few days. A little mold was a problem for my allergies, mostly in one hall off the pool and visably apparent comming out of the air machine by the elevators, which were also in need of tuning with doors that closed on my wheel chair and would not open to release me without a scary struggle. In this location there are dozens of hotels along a five mile strip along 28th street. This causes alot of competition amongst hotels and Crowne Plaza has a really great promotion going on right now through Priority Clubs and you can get a heck of alot of points if you stay there, and pay with American Express. That is the reason we stayed there for a few nights. Booked non-consecutively this paid off really well and helped me overlook the reality that this hotel is in need of a financial bailout for renovations. It probably was once a pretty decent place, and it still is decent dispite what I've said about maintainence lacking on air machines, cleaning less obvious places (that I did notice), the pool which I did use and enjoy greatly even with a little debris on the bottom. I've seen much worse hotels in my life- but without the points rewards I wouldn't find this hotel worth the money at all.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Elkhart, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2009

Staff was very helpful. I had a bad headache at a conference there and they let me in my room early to lay down and rest. Just what I needed. The room was very nice, clean, and not noisy. Spent some late night time at a local (not a chain) establishment and enjoyed MOST of the karaoke singers, just a short walk from the hotel (200 yds?). Good value and not out dated, in my world. The courteous staff was the winner.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business

Been to Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)? Share your experiences!