“Thrifty stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

You added Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5700 28th Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 10-30%
Ranked #33 of 47 Hotels in Grand Rapids
“Thrifty stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

There are no bells and whistles at this hotel. Yes they have a pool, a fitness center (three treadmills), and free WiFi but not much else. The hotel smelled faintly of smoke and they put me in a room in the deepest darkest corner of the hotel where even the WiFi wouldn't work. The water was orange when I turned on the shower because it hadn't been turned on in so long. The breakfast is convenient and fast. Its a thrifty place to stay for one night but I wouldn't recommend for an extended amount of time.

• Stayed May 2013
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear ehemmel2,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response for us. We greatly value all guest feedback. I am sorry that your stay was less than satisfactory. I am sorry to hear that you did not find our guest amenities up to par. In addition to the amenities you mentioned, I want to make you aware of the fact that we do have an on site business center, restaurant and lounge, as well as an outdoor gazebo during the summer month weekends that offers a snack menu and drinks. We also offer a complimentary shuttle within a 3 mile radius of the hotel to take you anywhere you may want to go.

I do hope however that next time you stay with us you notify the front desk of problems with the WIFI not working as we could have assisted you with that. We upgraded all guest room WIFI within the past week so there should have been plenty of bandwidth for the entire property. If you could please give us a call and let us know what room you were in during your stay we will gladly investigate the lack of WIFI availability to ensure that it does not happen again.

Thank you again for your response.

Sales/Catering & Social Media Coordinator

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We were here over Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. I heard from the staff they had four wedding groups simultaneously. The hotel is certainly big enough for that, but the restaurant is not. A couple of the breakfasts were a mob scene. I was impressed with the serving staff, they were professional and helpful despite being overwhelmed. The hotel should consider offering a breakfast for groups in a separate area to keep the congestion down.

The room was nice, and the housekeeping staff did a good job for the most part. We had to ask for tea bags, they seemed to miss that, since the coffee selection was not used. There was wifi available, and I assume it was free, since they have an access code available when checking in. We used our own connection.

The pool is inside/outside, and some of our party used it. It was unseasonably cool while we were there, so we passed. There is an outside patio area around the pool which had seating for a few groups and what appeared to be a tiki bar (perhaps used for special events, it was not open during our stay).

We had a wedding group rate that was a good deal with breakfast included. There was some confusion our first day about being part of the group, and I had to sign for our first day breakfast, but it was cleared up and the charge was voided. I was not particularly troubled by the mixup, it was not a show stopper by any means.

The hotel is very close to the airport and interstate. Construction on 28th street makes getting around that area a bit of a pain, but that will eventually be resolved. We will use this hotel again if we are in the area.

Room Tip: Groups should always get a breakfast included rate for their guests, I helped keep the travel costs...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Dear MrPDaddy,

Thank you for taking the time after your stay to write us a review. You are correct in the fact that we had quite a busy weekend with groups in the hotel. We do our best to manage all of them so we are sorry to hear that your experience in the restaurant was less than what you expected. We appreciate the ideas you provided and will take them into consideration for the future. Thank you for bringing to our attention that tea bags were not in your room. It is our practice to put both tea and coffee in the rooms so the housekeeping manager was notified of this issue. I am glad you were able to get the tea you wanted however. Hopefully you did not have to go too far out of your way. Yes, we do have free wifi here at the hotel with a pass code available at the front desk. We are glad that you noticed our gazebo outside. It is open roughly Memorial Day through Labor Day depending on weather and occupancy. I am sad you were not able to take advantage of this feature on your stay, but I was informed that it was open Friday 4-9pm and on Saturday from 11am-8pm this past weekend. Overall, I am glad that you had a good stay with us and we look forward to fixing the few issues you had for your next stay with us. Again, we appreciate the feedback.

Sales/Catering & Social Media Coordinator

p.s. We can't wait until the construction is done on 28th Street as well. :)
New Orleans, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

Here for four nights with 3 colleagues; Very nice full service hotel, convenient to airport and downtown; older property, but very well maintained; nice, clean, large comfortable rooms with all amenities; Business center convenient and easy to use, and meeting facilities nicely arranged and conducive to presentations in several meeting rooms at one time in close proximity to each other. Pool area looked great, with indoor heated, and swim through to exterior, again all nicely maintained. Food in hotel restaurant was very good and so was service; also, lots of restaurants nearby, as well as proximity to downtown with great restaurants; All registration/check in staff great, except one, who was not friendly or helpful at all, but I must stress again, that all others were great. Would definitely stay here again, for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: 4th floor is great during weekdays, as has a hospitality room with free snacks and cocktails/beer/so...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear FrequentTraveler655,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for your less than pleasurable encounter with one of our registration/check in staff. Your review will be taken consideration and staff will be addressed in order to prevent future guests from having the same experience. I hope that you can give us a chance to show you what we have done during a future stay.

Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed here for one night. The hotel room was clean and very modern. I found no problems in the room and was comfortable at all times. We didn't take advantage of the other amenities due to time constraints but there seemed to be many! The location is fantastic. Everything you could ever imagine is on the road the runs along it. I would stay again, and that's saying a lot from me!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
CrownePlazaGR, Sales at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear JONAS2040,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am delighted to hear that your most recent stay with us was comfortable and enjoyable. I hope we have the opportunity to serve you again. Thank you again.
Jaimee Kasperlik
Sales & Social Media Coordinator
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with a travel volleyball team for a weekend tournament. The rooms were clean, the kids enjoyed the pool and the location was convenient. Our tournament venue was less than 1/2 mile away!
We were pleased with the ammenities the hotel offered. Some chose to eat at the restaurant at the hotel, and were pleased with it... while others chose to venture out for food. There were many options for dining located very nearby.
The staff was friendly and responded to requests immediately.
Will definitely try to book this hotel for future Grand Rapids stays.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Lolodo25,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review.
I am glad to hear that it was of great value to you. More and more restaurants are popping up in this area of Grand Rapids; on your next visit, if you'd prefer to venture out for food again, feel free to ask our staff for recommendations. :-) We hope to have the chance to serve you again.
Sincerely, Jaimee Kasperlik
Sales & Social Media Coordinator
Bangkok
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

stayed here for a week in Feb. Quick observations. Service was very friendly and helpful. Nicely done. The hotel itself needs some attention. Door locks, mattresses need updating. No frigs in the room which is a standard these days (especially if your target market is families).

Pool area is very nice with lots of space.

Given the great rate we had, it probably matched the value for price paid.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, May 4, 2013
Dear Adventravler,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review following your recent stay. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Connie D
Case Manager
IHGCare
Traverse City, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Stayed last night for one night with my husband on a weekend outing...Very clean, nice beds and pillows...comfy room furniture...but...so many doors! To get from hallways to the next hallway to the lobby,say, or the pool...there are so many doors! I guess it would be great in case of a fire...but a bit confusing to find your way around if you park at a side entrance and want to go to the lobby...I must say I got a good amount of steps registered on my pedometer, and it was fun testing myself to find my way around! Oh, and the breakfast was lovely! (great coffee and lots of it!) Quiet night and slept well. Would stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear vloomis5,
Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am happy to hear that your stay was pleasant. As far as the door and floor plan issue, I completely understand! I am here a lot, and I still manager to get myself turned around. Upon your next visit, if you feel like you have taken too many turns, please feel free to ask a staff member passing by, as we will surely direct you to whatever location you intended on going to. Thank you again for the review.
Jaimee Kasperlik