“Clean, but expect more.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

Save Saved
You added Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5700 28th Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 52 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Clean, but expect more.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

The staff was friendly and the lobby looked nice. The rooms were clean but the bed was too firm for me. We stayed on the third floor but the room felt like we were in a basement. It was very dark and dingy. The window was small and not a lot of light shed through. My husband complained about how dim the lamps were. It was annoying to have to charge my cell phone across the room because there were no plugs near the bed.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, November 11, 2012
Dear Samantha7V,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I appreciate the compliments on the look of our lobby and our friendly staff. I'm sorry though that you were not 100% satisfied with your room conditions. Thank you once again for your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Edward C.
Case Manager
IHG Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

I was placed here as part of a large corporate group, so I did not choose this hotel myself. The corporate rate we received was fair for this very average hotel. I was on the first floor, but it was very quiet and the beds were comfortable. The wireless internet worked fine, and the towels were thick and clean, and bathroom amenities supplied. The service at the front desk and the restaurant was pleasant. I did not use the pool, though it looked nice. However, despite all these good things, nothing would lead me back to staying here again. The bathroom is small, and although the room was clean, it seemed dusty - probably because the decor and style is quite dated and old. It was the little things they didn't seem to pay attention to -- the battery for the TV remote was losing juice. I ordered a hot tea for room service the first night (which they delivered without the traditional milk/sugar/spoon/saucer), and the carafe of hot water stayed in my room for the next 3 days without being taken away by housekeeping. What REALLY annoyed me was there was no phone near the bedside (so I had to get out of bed and walk across the room to the desk to pick up my wake-up call) and I couldn't even plug in my own phone, etc. on the bedside because there were no available plugs. I CANNOT STAND hotel rooms that do not have enough power plug ins, and to have none near the bedstand is particular pet peeve of mine. There was no menu in the room for room service. No express check out. Nothing major enough for me to classify this as a bad style, and I've certainly stayed in worse, but still ... needs a little more focus on the little things, as well as a general refresh of the stale rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear clamC40,

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Grand Rapids on business. We take great pride in offering outstanding service and a quality experience for our guests from start to finish, so we deeply apologize for our shortcomings during your stay with us. We hope that you are able to visit us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids and perhaps, next time, enjoy our indoor/outdoor pool!

Warmest Regards,

Dijon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

This was a great place to stay. It was VERY CLEAN and quiet. The bed was comfortable and we got a great deal on hotwire!
The rooms could use a little updating, like the wallpaper that was falling off, the door to the bathroom needed to be replaced, etc. Other than those minor things, every thing else was great!
Bring your own shampoo....there is none provided.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
roseville, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

I was so glad to know that. Thank you, Hotel Maintenance Worker with your walkie-talkie turned up full blast, standing in my hallway, and waking me up just after getting to sleep last night. Several other times, I heard other worker communication in the hallway. Thankfully, this wasn't too chronic.

Seriously, this hotel was not bad at all. A good deal was had on one of those Hot-Hotel-Line-Wire-dotcom websites. The hotel is a nice facility in a convenient location. Access to the hotel lot from the road is a bit cryptic, but not that big of a deal. The desk help was friendly, the lobby welcoming. The room was clean and modern, with some signs of updating. The beds were comfortable.

Other than the noise issues, this hotel is *almost* there, just needs a tiny bit more polish, maybe a smidge more tact by some hotel workers. I would still return, but request a less convenient room. The HVAC could be turned to fan only, which helped mask some of the hallway noise, which not much can be done about when it is other guests. This hotel did not have too much of that, which was nice.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere away from maintenance closets, elevators, and entrances.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear mk48066,

Thank you for staying with us at the Crowne Plaza Hotel and for taking the time to share a review. We appreciate your kind words about our hotel, clean rooms and our friendly front desk staff. Our staff members are truly the heart of the hotel. We have addressed the issue regarding the use of walkie-talkie's in the hallways with our Engineering Department and we appreciate you bringing that to our attention. Thank you, again, for your patronage and for sharing your thoughts. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

At your service,

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

I have enjoyed staying at this hotel in the past and it is still a clean comfortable stay. They do have some wear and tear in some of the common areas but the rooms I have stayed in I never had a complaint. Nice indoor/outdoor pool with a very nice sundeck. They have a well equiped fitness facility that serves its purpose. Onsite restaurant and bar. Within walking distance of many restaurants and bars. I am very happy to stay here and one other place in Grand Rapids airport area. You do have alot to choose from but you wont go wrong with a stay here. Overall a nice facility with friendly staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Manassas, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here one night - it's a confusing hotel, with hallways leading to doors and more hallways and doors, and stairs . . . but the room was very nice, the bed comfortable, the service very good. I've stayed at the Best Western (barfaroni) and the Ramada (a step above the Best Western), but the Crowne Plaza is what you'd expect a normal, decent hotel to be. AND it was $10+ cheaper than the Ramada (without Breakfast)!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
John L, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear SkiptotheLOUmydarlin,

Thank you for staying with us and for your positive feedback. Being the 3rd largest hotel in Grand Rapids I realize that getting around throughout the hotel can be a bit confusing. I am very pleased though to hear that you enjoyed your room, the hotel service and that we will see you again in the future!

Morro Bay, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I've stayed here multiple times simply because it is the best hotel in the Cascade area of Grand Rapids. But "best" means two stars at best - which yes really says something about the Courtyard and such down the street. At least this time the internet worked fairly well, which is a huge improvement over my last stay. But this property still desperately needs a couple million of improvement to take it to three stars. Beds are ok, but decor is seriously from the 80s, any bathroom where you have to almost step over the toilet to get out of the shower doesn't merit more than two stars, the bathroom door was broken, tiles and molding are chipped, hallways are dark and smell stale. The lounge and restaurant are definitely out of the 80s. Drinks were bad, $11 for a plastic bowl and some Cheerios is nuts, coffee was the worst I've tasted in years. Thank God for Starbucks and Panera Bread down the street. This property is a serious drag on the Crowne Plaza brand.

Room Tip: Pray that it has been cleaned.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear LeanCEO.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. Please accept my apologies for falling short of your expectations regarding the condition of our facilities and the service you received at the restaurant and lounge. Your review will be used to reconsider improvements needed and I hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Thank you again for your feedback and we all hope to get a chance of hosting you again on your next visit.

Karen C
Case Manager
IHGCare

Been to Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)? Share your experiences!