“Older hotel but in great shape” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)

You added Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport) to your Saves list
Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5700 28th Street SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49546   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Chicago, Illinois
“Older hotel but in great shape”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2011

Spent the night for business as all the downtown hotels were booked. Great older hotel - very well kept with an excellent staff. Only downside is there is no entertainment in the evening. So if you want to sit in the bar and listen to some music - have them put on a radio.

Clean rooms, nice beds, nice pool

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, December 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to post your experience at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids! We appreciate you giving us the opportunity to serve you when the downtown area was sold out. We hope that you will choose to stay with us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Morro Bay, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2011

I visit this area 4 times a year to visit my nearby mother in-law and have had nothing but problems - and I travel several times a month domestic and overseas generally with no issues elsewhere. For a couple years we tried the Marriott Courtyard down the street but almost always had noise problems. Then the Hilton, but also had noise and service was pretty pathetic. So this time I thought I'd try the Crowne Plaza - I even paid extra for the "executive floor".

To be fair, let's start off with the good part: The bed is very comfortable, the room was clean, and the staff - especially in the executive lounge - were very friendly. It was also quiet - but that will happen when there's a total of 5 cars in the parking lot. Slow week?

But here's my big rub. The nature of my job requires me to stay in email/internet contact. The hotel advertized high speed wireless, which these days has become pretty much a minimum expectation. When I first tried to log on I noticed problems, then discovered it was very intermittent even with a strong wireless connection, often dying completely. I contacted several people, had several people say it was going to be fixed, but nothing. Maybe I'll even attach my screenshot of a speed test - yes it was dial up speed. Luckily my mother in-law did have a real high speed connection and since I had to spend a lot of time over there, I got work done - and I also took advantage of the mini hot spot capability of my iPhone. But this is a deal-breaker for me. True, reliable high speed internet is simply a requirement for my job.

Some other notes: my big complaint at most hotels was true here: lack of power outlets to charge cell phones (especially next to the bed where I can also use it as my alarm), computers, iPad, etc. There was one single outlet on the desk lamp, and the lamp had to be half off the desk in order for chargers to fit the orientation of the outlet. The carpet was a bit worn, and the toiletries were no where near appropriate for the supposed four star category of this hotel. Sorry, this is really a three star at best. The free breakfast and evening drinks in the executive club lounge were pretty pathetic, but since I just eat cereal in the morning it was ok - and better than spending $20 like I'm often forced to do at other hotels. On Thanksgiving the lounge was closed and we were told to partake in the "continental breakfast" in the lobby - strange tasting coffee and just some cold danishes - no cereal or other options. Gee... and I paid extra for the upgrade to the executive floor... hmmm...

But the bed was good, and I slept well. If that's all you need, then the Crowne Plaza is an option. If you need reliable internet, look elsewhere. If you want true four star then I guess you're heading into the JW or similar closer to downtown - there's nothing in this part of town.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, December 2, 2011
I am sorry you had such a difficult time with the internet during your stay. This has been our focus area the past few months and we just recently changed our server. I am glad you had a quiet and comfortable stay with great service, but I definitely agree with you that good, reliable internet is a must! I will make sure our engineering department is continuously monitoring our routers to ensure our speed is up to par. Thank you for sharing both your positive experiences with your suggestions for improvement. I hope that you will give us another try when in Grand Rapids again visiting family.

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

The only real complaint I can muster about this hotel is that it's nearly impossible to find the parking lot entrance. You have to turn before you actually get to the hotel, but the turn is not labeled. We ended up driving *to* the hotel, then *past* the hotel, completely befuddled as to how we were supposed to get there. We turned right at the light immediately after, and then managed to drive through two parking lots to the parking area for the Crowne Plaza. For the entire length of our stay, we had issues remembering where we were supposed to turn.

Check in was very fast and easy, and the decor is very professional. The room was spacious and well cleaned, although there was mold on parts of the caulking in the tub. I understand it is difficult to clean those nooks and crannies, but some bleach spray works wonders. The room was also quiet - I'm not sure if it was because there weren't very many visitors at the time, or because they have enough insulation to effectively cocoon the rooms, but it was much appreciated.

Another nice touch - the bedding was very soft, and the room didn't smell funny. Smell is the first thing I notice about a hotel room, and one of the hardest things to control effectively, with so many people and situations in each room. If a room doesn't have an odd scent, I know that the staff is cleaning effectively.

We used the hot tub each night of our stay. The indoor pool/spa area was spotless and at a very comfortable temperature. The sauna was in perfect working condition, and also spotlessly clean.

We decided to forgo the hotel restaurant breakfast for IHOP, which is less than 5 minutes away. The breakfast didn't look up to $9.99 standards, and we were craving pancakes, anyway.

All in all, very comfortable and worth the rate.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, November 23, 2011
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Providing a quiet, comfortable and relaxing stay is our goal and it sounds like that was achieved! I will pass along the bathtub issue to our new housekeeping manager and make sure to address the signage with our GM. Thank you again for sharing your experience and suggestions, we are always striving to take our service to the next level!

616-285-1349
Wilmington, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2011

We stayed here overnight and had one of the best night's sleep in a hotel ever! Room and bathroom was spotless, bed was sooo comfy with plenty of pillows and bedding. Wifi worked great. Plenty of toiletries and coffee. Great location with plenty of restaurant choices.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids and for taking the time to post your experience. I'm glad we exceeded all of your expectations! A comfortable bed makes all of the difference and I'm glad you agree that our beds are amazing! Look for our new packages just posted on our website for your future stays. We have a Romance package, Family package and New Years Eve package that offer a lot of added value.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Very clean, good value, and quiet. Overall great experience.

Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your great experience! We appreciate the positive feedback and will share with our staff. We look forward to serving you again in the future. Check out our new packages on our website for more added value your next stay!

Holiday Island, Arkansas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

1. We arrived the desk lamp was unplugged, the cord hanging over the desk. So we notified the desk and they came up when we left and plugged it in. They also left the huge dresser hanging out about 5 inches. This was a plain desk lamp; no extra power source was available anywhere near the desk.
2. There were 2 of the coffee cups behind the TV that were half full when we arrived
3. There was only one trash can in the room
4. There were no Crowne Plaza tablets or pens in the room
5. There was no Crowne Plaza burgundy bag with goodies on the bed
6. There was only 1 phone in the room
7. In the bathroom, the heat lamp had a florescent bulb and not a heat lamp in it.
8. After staying the first night, they changed the towels, but there was a big coffee spill on the floor in front of the sink and it was not mopped up.
9. The second night the paper coffee cups and coffee refills were not refilled. The ice bucket was not emptied.
For being remodeled, the room colors and furniture are so outdated and not what you would expect for the Crowne Plaza. I could have gone to Motel 6 and had the same room.

And for the restaurant here, what a joke. We waited 10 minutes at 6:30 am before someone acknowledged us. He stated: just find a seat wherever and walked away. We chose a table and another waitress came by with coffee. She said guess you’re having the buffet; we respond no, she said guess I will have to get the menus, with a huff!
We ordered and omelet & toast, short stack of pancakes and it took 20 minutes for the food to arrive barely warm. The vegi’s in the omelet were so raw and undercooked, no warm syrup, just s dripping sticky container. For the price this should have been great, but I could have gone to Denney’s and paid less and had much better food and service. the room heater did go out and they replaced it very fast, the maint person was awesome!
This location just does not compare to the other Crowne Plaza locations with customer service. They don’t care!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Andrea J, Front Office Manager at Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport), responded to this review, October 31, 2011
Dear Mr. Arguel:

Thank you for sharing your experience from your recent stay. We appreciate the time you spent detailing each issue. We use this information to continuously improve our operations. I will be speaking with our housekeeping manager today so that we may go through each of the room issues with our housekeeping staff. I would also like to apologize for the service you experienced in the restaurant. This is not the caliber service we are accustomed to providing our guests and I assure you immediate improvements will be made. Thank you again for your time, and for choosing to stay at the Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids. Please contact me if there is anything else I may do for you!

616-285-1349
Northern Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed here overnight while visitng my grandma in her nursing home nearby. It was clean, quiet and what I expected from the Crowne Plaza. The pool area was really nice, there was a large hot tub and a steam room / sauna. We ordered take out from the restuarant and it was okay. Nothing special. I would stay here again...if I was able to get the deal that I got last time on Priceline.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Crowne Plaza Grand Rapids (Airport)? Share your experiences!