“Enjoyed our stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Pearl Street Nw, US 131 and Pearl Street, Grand Rapids, MI 49504   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersBronze level
Bismarck, North Dakota
“Enjoyed our stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Had three nights here. Room size was fine, a little extra space would have been nice. Check-in and check-out went fine. Ate two meals in the restaurant. Enjoyed those although service was a little slow the first evening. Had the same comforter you find in most hotels, I find them just too warm. They didn't replace all our towels the first day, just as we asked but on the second day, everything was changed. Why do hotels promise one thing and do another? Location was handy for the downtown. Room stayed warm even thought we tried to cool it off.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Korean first
Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

I was conflicted with whether I should give this hotel an "average" or "very good" rating. I don't want to be unreasonable, so I went with the "very good," but I'd like to elaborate...First, let me say that the rooms are nice (slightly awkward setup with the sink outside of the bathroom in a conjested area), and the hotel is in a really good location. However, I was a little disappointed at the lack of incentives for IHG Rewards members. Usually there is free breakfast for Platinum members or a similarly appealing reward, and all they offered was free coffee...which doesn't really make sense because there is a coffee maker in every room. So yeah...I ended up staying at another hotel for my other three weeks of business. Overall, nice hotel in nice location, but I'm kind of the Customer Service Police, and they left much to be desired...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Livonia, Michigan, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed the weekend for an event over at DeVos Place. Excellent location. Right by the freeway, and close walking to the Museum and DeVos Place. Pool is really small, the rooms are pretty small, but clean and updated. I think this must be a rather new property, as everything seemed quite new. Nice staff. Restaurant food was good, but the service was poor to average. The cooks are right there, so you hear EVERYTHING they are talking about. Overall, a good value.

Room Tip: High Floor. You don't hear the freeway.
Green Features: Typical. Thermostats in the rooms, towel reuse, recycling bins all over the place
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

This hotel saved me!
I first made my reservation for 5 nights in another hotel in Grand Rapids, I was on a business trip and it was my first time in Grand Rapids.
I stayed the first night on this other hotel and it was not a great experience, then I request a refund and checked in at the Holiday Inn... What a great choice!
Everything was perfect, clean, awesome staff... As I say... When in doubt just chose a chain hotel!

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Lmiss,

I am so sorry to learn that your first night in Grand Rapids was not pleasant. Please accept my apologies on behalf of the city. We are appreciate you selecting our property and are delighted that your experience was great! Whether it is business or a chance to explore our city a little further, we hope to see you may more times in the future. If we can be any special assistance, please feel free to reach out to our team (guestservice@higrdt.com). Safe Travels to you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed here for a business convention that was held at GVSU. Great location in the heart of Grand Rapids and the Grand Valley campus.
Everything a business traveler needs, from comfy beds for rest, to high speed Internet, and I really liked the upholstered chair with ottoman for kicking back at night.
Everyone I came in contact with was very kind and helpful, from check-in to room service. Very fast room service at peak times! Had the Traverse City salad both nights... Excellent!
Unlike many hotel rooms I've stayed in, the thermostat actually worked perfectly! Loved that!
Thank you for a nice stay!

New York City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

the location of the hotel is pretty awesome with lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance, and a museum literally across the street. i went on two 5-mile runs along the grand river and it was very scenic, at least on the (i think) east side of the river!

the rooms are what you come to expect from holiday inn: relatively spacious and quite clean. the service at the front desk and at the hotel bar/restaurant was very friendly. parking is always available, except when you're there during Art Prize (i got there the last day of the event) and traffic all over downtown GR is all snarled up. half of the lot was being used for event parking.

i'd stay here again for work, even though it's about 30 min away from where work is located, just for the sheer proximity to nightlife.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
bktrish,

What a honor to know that you would drive an extra 30 minutes to utilize our Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown location! The nightlife is great, the river beautiful and safe for those 5 mile runs. I do apologize if you experienced any parking concerns during ArtPrize. We station an attendant to insure there are spaces available for our overnight guests. In an effort to offer convenient parking for those that are strictly attending events, we do provide some parking as available. Thank you for making note of your concern. We will monitor the available spaces a little more closely next year.

We will look forward to seeing you a few times between now and ArtPrize 2014! Safe travels to you!
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for two nights in September during ArtPrize with my parents (they were in a separate room). I wasn't expecting much, and this hotel also didn't deliver much, other than a decent night's sleep. Granted, it's a Holiday Inn so you get what you pay for and you shouldn't stay here expecting anything above the basics.

Checkin and checkout was easy, the staff is very polite but you don't get the impression anyone goes above and beyond for a guest - again, to be expected at a chain like this. The rooms were basic but comfortable. Amenities were lackluster as one might expect - the linens and towels felt low quality, the toiletries below par, the decor a bit dated and homogenous - but there is free wifi and basic cable. The views are nothing to write home about as the hotel is a low rise next to a parking lot, the freeway, and a comparably sized building across the street. There may be a few rooms that get a good view of the Gerald Ford center across the street. The elevators are also a bit frightening, as the doors open before the elevator is level with the floor. A small thing but a bit off-putting.

Also worth noting - we had an awful experience at the hotel restaurant (which isn't operated by the hotel directly but shares the same building as it is located in the lobby). We gave the host our name and after waiting in the lobby for a half hour, seeing people who arrived after us being seated, and asking about our place in line, the host looked bewildered and didn't have our name. How he could have forgotten us, sitting directly in his line of sight, and how he didn't offer us a table immediately after the snafu is beyond me, but my mother and I went to the Big Boy down the road for breakfast that day.

Also, the hotel was pretty full of loud, tipsy groups for family reunions or weddings, and we even saw a man walking around the lobby in bare feet. Whether that's a common occurence, I don't know, but at least it was amusing...

All in all, this might be a decent place to stop for a night or two... but you pay for what you get.

Room Tip: Try to get a room that has a view of the Gerald Ford Center.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
JetsetNick,

Thank you for your very candid view of the hotel. I do apologize for your disappointing experience and invite you to reach out to me at Ellen@higrdt.com. The Holiday Inn family of brands has been working hard to provide Great Hotels Guest Love. It appears that we must continue to make improvements and I know that we all are committed to putting forth the effort. Only through honest guest feedback can we identify the areas of opportunity. I am hopeful that you at least enjoyed your time with your parents. Safe Jetsetting to you!

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown? Share your experiences!