“Not your usual Holiday Inn” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Pearl Street Nw, US 131 and Pearl Street, Grand Rapids, MI 49504   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 52 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Danville, KY
“Not your usual Holiday Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

While passing through Michigan we stopped at the Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown because it was across the street from the Gerald Ford Museum, which we enjoyed. This was not your usual Holiday Inn. The decor was excellent, our room was very comfortable, and the restaurant served a delicious breakfast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Alicia N,

We are glad that you had the opportunity to experience Pure Michigan! We are proud members of the statewide tourism organization. The Gerald R. Ford museum is exceptional and we consider ourselves fortunate to be just across the street. We are hopeful that you will be traveling through Michigan again soon and would consider it an honor to have you and your friends stay at the Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown. Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
Spring Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Downtown Grand Rapids is such a beautiful city with so many things to do, places to eat, etc. The only problem is that staying downtown is rather pricey. There are not that many hotels to chose from to begin with. So I was ecstatic when I found a great rate on Hotwire for the Holiday Inn downtown. It's always risky on Hotwire because you don't know the name of the hotel until after you book, but it worked out this time!!
What a great hotel! I think it gets overshadowed by the the Amway and the Marriot, but it was beautiful, comfortable, and in a great location with a great view. After I booked my room I called the hotel to upgrade to a corner room. I had read on reviews that they were larger and had great views. When we checked in everything was in order and they even remembered to wish us a happy anniversary. The rooms are very modern looking. We had a great view of the city. The bed was comfortable. It was wonderful!!
We ate downtown and saw a show at Devos Hall and walked a very short distance to each location. Grand Rapids is such a nice city that it's worth it just to walk around and enjoy.

So if you are looking for a great place to stay in downtown GR, don't forget to think about this hotel. Sure you can pay $200 plus to stay at the other hotels, but you can get about the same thing, in a great location, for a lot cheaper. It even has free parking which is unheard of for downtown hotels.
Thanks for making our 25 anniversary a great night.
PS - If your not willing to risk hotwire, their normal rates are still a lot lower than the others.

Room Tip: Many wonderful places to eat downtown. Skip the hotel restaurant and venture out into the city!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Congratulations again Mr & Mrs Mark M!

I can't tell you how honored we feel to have been part of your 25th anniversary celebration! Your description of Grand Rapids really sums up the city well. It IS a great place and my team and I are lucky to enjoy it daily. Thank you for including our hotel and staff as key components to a positive experience.. We really strive to be the best value for any stay in Grand Rapids. We will look forward to seeing you again soon - but will count on that next anniversary! Safe Travels!
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice Place..........
The whole place was nicely appointed and appeared to be quite well maintained.
I found the bed to be quite comfortable and was not at all put off by the square pillows.
All of the staff I encountered were quite friendly and helpful. I should have mentioned to someone on the staff that the desk chair in room 833 seemed to be defective, as when I leaned back in it, it just kept going until I was lying on the floor. I was unhurt, and it gave my friends a good laugh, so "no big deal", but it might be to someone else.
We encountered no issue with freeway noise, but then road construction kept traffic at a snails pace, so I can't actually weigh in on that issue. I wouldn't recommend breakfast at the Pearl Street Express unless it is included with the room price. It seemed quite "pre-fab", as though it came out of a box.
Overall, it seemed like a nice, cheery, place with friendly people and is in a very good location for taking in the museums and just a short scenic walk to restaurants and nightlife. I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Hello Berman58!

Thank you so much for your review. I love how it offers us some insight into areas that we need to put more focus. Please know that the chair in 833 has been replaced with a brand new chair of a different style. It appears that we selected a chair that does not age well. We appreciate your concern for others and hope that your friends will not remind you of the chair incident in the years to come! I was disappointed to hear your description of breakfast. If you would care to share with me your menu choices it would be greatly appreciated. My email address is: ellen@higrdt.com. Some of the items on our breakfast menu are Holiday Inn brand specific and some are our own creations. Holiday Inn is always asking for guest feedback from us. Having your specific menu choice will allow us to respond to the brand or adjust our own items. Either way it is important!

Thanks again for the review. We hope to see you the next time you are in Grand Rapids. In the meantime, safe travels!
Beavercreek, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to stay and at an excellent Priceline rate. The location is downtown next to the museum and US 131. Most of the restaurants are on the other side of the river, but it is a very short walk across the bridge.

The room is appointed nicely. Modern tile around the tub and a granite vanity. Nice linens, Bath & Body Works bath products, mattress appeared to be fairly new (the comfort of the mattress was "OK"), 32 inch HDTV.

Free Internet and free parking (unusual for a downtown hotel).

Indoor pool and fitness center.

The hotel appears to be well maintained and attractive in and out. It has a bar and a small restaurant. A lot of people seemed to be enjoying both. Food was decent and very inexpensive. It also appeared that the prices on the room service menu were the same as in the restaurant.

Everyone was really nice. I received a phone call once I got to my room welcoming me and inviting me to call the front desk if I needed anything.

A friend of mine told me this used to be a Days Inn, which is a budget establishment. They did an excellent job with the conversion. I wouldn't have even realized it was previously a budget hotel although once he mentioned it I thought the layout of the room was peculiar: vanity was small and in an odd location, closet was small, tiled floor entering room......remanents of being built as a budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi fedaccts,

Your friend was correct. The hotel was originally built as a Days Inn in the late 1980's. Being in a downtown location that decade's trend was a smaller footprint. We have tried to compensate for the room layout as much as possible. We can see that you didn't miss a thing right down to the pricing being the same for room service or dining in our restaurant. If you have any candid suggestions for us, we would welcome them at any time. Thank you for sharing your experience with other travelers and with us! We appreciate the review, as well as, your business. Have a great day!
Champaign-Urbana, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Recently stayed at this hotel to attend a conference at GVSU. Nice, clean hotel. Quiet. Free parking for guests. No complaints. I thought this Holiday Inn was a bit better appointed than some other Holiday Inns I have visited, it felt kind of new, but I'm not sure that it is (perhaps recently renovated?). If ever need to travel to this part of Grand Rapids again, would not hesitate to stay at this property. It was also very close to many restaurants and also has a restaurant on site.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hello Raina D!

We are delighted to hear that trip to Grand Rapids and GVSU included our Holiday Inn. Our location is nicely situated for just about anything you might want to visit in Grand Rapids. Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. We appreciate it as I know they will too. Safe Travels to you!
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We recently attended a GVSU donor event at DeVos Place and spent the night as we've done several times before. We don't travel without out little Brussels Griffon so dog-friendly is a must. Unlike most hotels who need to make a profit from being pet-friendly, this hotel does not charge. The hotel is always clean and comfortable with a full service restaurant and express coffee and snack area. The staff is friendly and efficient. The location is central and convenient. Our stay was pleasant as always.

Room Tip: DO NOT take a room on the freeway side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Doug L,

We are so glad to hear that your experiences at our Holiday Inn continue to be pleasant ones. Your review on TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated by the hotel and other travelers. We do accept pets and are happy to be a property that offers traveling pets a place to stay. Actually, we do have a pet fee at our property. We have selected an amount that seems fair to both the traveling pet and hotel. Knowing that a guest is traveling with their pet is a safety and security objective for us. We place pets in specific areas of the hotel for our staff's safety when servicing the room and our concern for minimal disturbance to our other guests. We will welcome your little Brussels Griffon back on your next stay in Grand Rapids. However, if you would please take the time to complete our pet registration when you register for your room, we would appreciate it very much! Safe travels to all of you!
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

We had booked a reservation here for 3 nights and we left after the first! The front desk was very rude and so was management. Also when we got to our room it was dirty. The sheets had blood stains and the floor looked like it wasn't touched for a week. Their we're ants in the bathroom and still food in garbage and a present left in the toilet. Disgusting that's what it was. Then when we were checking out after our first night we heard an unpleasant conversation a manager was having with employee. I believe this was the GM and you can tell that she did not care that guest heard them. This is suppose to be Hotels that guest love! In our books it Hotels that guest stay away from. After this experience we will NOT stay at a IHG brand and Holiday Inn AGAIN. Our priority rewards are in the trash!!!!

• Stayed June 2013
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
HotelTips101,

First, let me apologize for your experience at our hotel. To say the least, I am very concerned about your experience from start to finish. This is not what I have come to expect from my team. I would like the opportunity to look into your experience further so we may have the necessary coaching with the the team members involved so that your experience is not repeated in the future. Please contact me at heather@higrdt.com at your convenience.

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown? Share your experiences!