“The Grand River in Grand Rapids” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Pearl Street Nw, US 131 and Pearl Street, Grand Rapids, MI 49504   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #17 of 52 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
La Habra Heights, California!
“The Grand River in Grand Rapids”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

I was in Grand Rapids for a convention. I was not able to book into the host hotel. The Holiday Inn was a PERFECT alternative! Each morning I walked across the Grand River to the Convention Center! It was a beautiful walk! Everything is in walking distance from this hotel. The location gets 5+ stars!

Room Tip: Try to book rooms (odd numbers) so you can look out your window and see the museum, river, etc.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Amanda H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We are happy to hear that due to a change of plans you stayed with us at the Holiday Inn! We are within walking distance to the convention center, all the great downtown restaurants, nightclubs, museums and concert/performance venues. We hope that the next time you are in Grand Rapids you come stay with us again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Korean first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013 via mobile

Great pillow idea - soft or firm - we get to pick. Doesn't mask how uncomfortable the mattresses are at this place though!! Almost a sleepless night for me. I'm not going to complain how everything is small because, frankly, I don't care how much vanity room there is or that we nearly had to step on the toilet to open the door to the bathroom to get out. I do care that I'm spending money for a place to sleep and can't do so because I'm so darn uncomfortable!!! Location location location!! Great location! We'll try another hotel with a great location on our next visit to GR because I need my sleep!!

• Stayed May 2013
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Sheepish02 -
First of all, I apologize that we did not respond to your comments immediately. We were happy to hear that the Holiday Inn "soft" and "firm" pillows were a hit. You will no doubt enjoy the upgraded pillows that have just recently become the new Holiday Inn standard - still with the "soft" and "firm" options. We would be very interested in learning in more detail what made the our bed uncomfortable. Bedding is truly a personal preference, however, we do value any candid feedback to use when evaluating future bedding purchases. If you have a moment, please reach out to me at Ellen@higrdt.com. Should you care to give us another try, I would be happy to personally select your room or make recommendations for other Holiday Inn branded hotels in the area. Thanks again for your comments. Safe Travels to you!
Fort Worth, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2013

We stayed here two nights in October for the Art Fest, and had a splendid time...Holiday Inn participates in Art Fest, so we had displays here in the hotel lobby and on the grounds...it's located for easy off the freeway, and it's right in the middle of where you want to be for Art Fest!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
You picked a great time to be in Grand Rapids! ArtPrize is one of our busiest and most exciting times of year. We will be an art venue again this year, so hopefully you will come back and see us again!
Rochester Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Great location downtown. Within walking distance to everything. Very convenient to the DeVos Convention Center. Free parking was nice. Hotel was clean and well kept. The staff were pleasant and professional. My room was on the fifth floor. No issues with outside noise but I am a heavy sleeper. The A/C unit was quite loud. Pillows were awful (small little hard lumpy squares). Bathroom setup was odd (as stated by other reviewers). Overall the room was clean and average. I would probably stay again if in the area due to the price, location, and free parking.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear CDJD,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff and cleanliness.

However, We’re sorry about the air conditioning and for falling below your expectation regarding our bathroom. We will address these points. I assure you the feedback of our hotel will be reviewed and most certainly forwarded to the appropriate departments. We take the confidence our guests place in us very seriously and work diligently to rectify any unsatisfactory experiences. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Kaukauna
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We spent a 3 night weekend here for a wedding we were attending. Our room was on the 8th floor and was very small for the cost. The Bathroom consisted of the tub/shower along with the toilet in one small room. We had visitors in that bathroom every night in the form of little bugs. I guess it was entertainment while you did your business in there. The vanity in the main room was extremely tiny with no counter space. If you stood at the vanity your partner could not pass you since the foot of the bed was right there. Thought he bed was ok the pillows are extremely small. Like about 18in. square in size. The light switch to go into the little bathroom was not by the bathroom door, no it was by the entry door. Made if fun to find it in the middle of the night. Also the water in the bathroom for some reason did not want to go down any drain. Which meant you had to flush the toilet twice, and had standing water in the bathtub after a shower for at least 20 mins. On Sunday, our room was not even touched by any maid service.

But as bad as the room was, the restaurant in the Hotel was great. The food and service was great. The wait staff were very friendly and helpful. The Breakfast menu was limited though.

Hotel is located downtown so it is close to a lot of night life. Which is both good and bad. Good for walking distance, but bad because the hotel parking lot fills up with cars from people coming down town to enjoy that night life. So you may have to park away from the hotel itself in the parking lot.
On Saturday night of our stay we gathered with family in the hotel lobby/lounge area. There was a person passed out in the lobby for at least 30 to 45 mins from being drunk.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Jerry M -
Thank you for your candid comments regarding your stay with us. I appreciate you making mention of the challenges in the bathroom area. Each of our rooms receives a complete preventative maintenance and deep cleaning at least once a quarter. Perhaps we might want to reconsider how often we are completing each room. The room described is not typical of all our rooms and correlates to a small number of rooms located near the hotel's laundry chute. Without some key pieces of information, I am not able to confirm the exact room number. If you care to reach out to me at Ellen@higrdt.com, I would be happy to make note of your concerns so that we can select a different location within the hotel on your next visit. I am very excited to pass along your food and beverage comments. Often the food and beverage team's service is not experienced or complimented when traveling for social events. I know they will be wearing proud smiles over the next few days. Again, thank you for your comments. We appreciate any comments good or bad. Safe Travels to you!
Northern Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hubs and I visited GR over a weekend to see a show at The Intersection. I chose the Holiday Inn because of the convenient location and I usually prefer Holiday Inns when I travel. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right off 131—and that does mean 131 runs RIGHT next to it—and I was a little nervous about traffic noise when I booked but I figured, "It's only one night. What the heck." I was pleasantly surprised that I heard very little road noise from our room on the 5th floor which overlooked the hotel parking lot. I did request a quiet room when I booked. You never know if you will get it, but it seriously doesn't hurt to ask. We booked a standard king room and it wasn't huge, but I've certainly had much smaller rooms. The only odd things had to do with the bathroom area—when you enter the room the light switch at the door turns on the bathroom light and there is no light switch inside the bathroom, i.e. the bathroom door has to be open for you to turn on the light which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one person gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The other oddity was that the sink area is not inside the bathroom, but in the entry way, which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one of you likes to get up early and get ready while trying not to disturb your partner while he is sleeping. I've stayed in hotels with this arrangement before and never been overly fond of it. Other than those issues, I was perfectly happy with our stay. The room was clean and seemed to be relatively recently remodeled. The bed was comfy and the in-room HVAC worked well and wasn't one of those horribly loud window units—always a bonus! The staff was friendly, knowledgable, and quite helpful. But, like I started out with, the location was the best part. We were able to walk to great bars and restaurants—The BOB, Hop Cat, The Intersection, and VanAndel are all only a few blocks away. If the weather's bad a taxi will get you there for about $5-7. I was a little surprised at the higher rate for this Holiday Inn compared to others I've stayed at, but was willing to give a little extra for the downtown location and I'm glad I did.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor overlooking the hotel parking lot had very little traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful comments on our hotel! Please come back and see us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids!
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Hotel delivered what we wanted, and that was basically it...Rooms were small..Bathroom was ridiculously small..The bed is not as good as any Holiday Inn I usually stay at..Was disappointed to be honest..

Would I stay here again? Maybe.. But im going to try others first as price is close enough to other hotels.

Pros:

1. location
2. FREE PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:

1. Bathroom very small
2. Mattress does not compare to other Holiday Inns

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of your exerpience at our hotel. I was dissappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations as our goal is always to exceed our guests expectations. I apologize that your nights rest was not as comfortable as you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn family of hotels.

Please know that each and every review is noted and reviewed as we continue to improve our hotel each day. We hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Grand Rapids.

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown? Share your experiences!