The hubs and I visited GR over a weekend to see a show at The Intersection. I chose the Holiday Inn because of the convenient location and I usually prefer Holiday Inns when I travel. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right off 131—and that does mean 131 runs RIGHT next to it—and I was a little nervous about traffic noise when I booked but I figured, "It's only one night. What the heck." I was pleasantly surprised that I heard very little road noise from our room on the 5th floor which overlooked the hotel parking lot. I did request a quiet room when I booked. You never know if you will get it, but it seriously doesn't hurt to ask. We booked a standard king room and it wasn't huge, but I've certainly had much smaller rooms. The only odd things had to do with the bathroom area—when you enter the room the light switch at the door turns on the bathroom light and there is no light switch inside the bathroom, i.e. the bathroom door has to be open for you to turn on the light which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one person gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The other oddity was that the sink area is not inside the bathroom, but in the entry way, which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one of you likes to get up early and get ready while trying not to disturb your partner while he is sleeping. I've stayed in hotels with this arrangement before and never been overly fond of it. Other than those issues, I was perfectly happy with our stay. The room was clean and seemed to be relatively recently remodeled. The bed was comfy and the in-room HVAC worked well and wasn't one of those horribly loud window units—always a bonus! The staff was friendly, knowledgable, and quite helpful. But, like I started out with, the location was the best part. We were able to walk to great bars and restaurants—The BOB, Hop Cat, The Intersection, and VanAndel are all only a few blocks away. If the weather's bad a taxi will get you there for about $5-7. I was a little surprised at the higher rate for this Holiday Inn compared to others I've stayed at, but was willing to give a little extra for the downtown location and I'm glad I did.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown Hotel
- Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown Hotel Grand Rapids
- Days Inn Grand Rapids
- Grand Rapids Days Inn
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This 175 room full-service Holiday Inn, officially relaunched in December 2009. All guest rooms have 32" HDTVs, easy chair, large work desk. Rates include complimentary on site parking and wireless internet access. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, IHG, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Venere, Otel and Fareportal so you can book your Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.