“Great downtown hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Pearl Street Nw, US 131 and Pearl Street, Grand Rapids, MI 49504   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #20 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Northern Indiana
“Great downtown hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hubs and I visited GR over a weekend to see a show at The Intersection. I chose the Holiday Inn because of the convenient location and I usually prefer Holiday Inns when I travel. The best thing about this hotel is its location. It's right off 131—and that does mean 131 runs RIGHT next to it—and I was a little nervous about traffic noise when I booked but I figured, "It's only one night. What the heck." I was pleasantly surprised that I heard very little road noise from our room on the 5th floor which overlooked the hotel parking lot. I did request a quiet room when I booked. You never know if you will get it, but it seriously doesn't hurt to ask. We booked a standard king room and it wasn't huge, but I've certainly had much smaller rooms. The only odd things had to do with the bathroom area—when you enter the room the light switch at the door turns on the bathroom light and there is no light switch inside the bathroom, i.e. the bathroom door has to be open for you to turn on the light which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one person gets up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. The other oddity was that the sink area is not inside the bathroom, but in the entry way, which is unfortunate if you are traveling as a couple and one of you likes to get up early and get ready while trying not to disturb your partner while he is sleeping. I've stayed in hotels with this arrangement before and never been overly fond of it. Other than those issues, I was perfectly happy with our stay. The room was clean and seemed to be relatively recently remodeled. The bed was comfy and the in-room HVAC worked well and wasn't one of those horribly loud window units—always a bonus! The staff was friendly, knowledgable, and quite helpful. But, like I started out with, the location was the best part. We were able to walk to great bars and restaurants—The BOB, Hop Cat, The Intersection, and VanAndel are all only a few blocks away. If the weather's bad a taxi will get you there for about $5-7. I was a little surprised at the higher rate for this Holiday Inn compared to others I've stayed at, but was willing to give a little extra for the downtown location and I'm glad I did.

Room Tip: Our room on the 5th floor overlooking the hotel parking lot had very little traffic noise.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Amanda H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments on our hotel! Please come back and see us again the next time you are in Grand Rapids!

249 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
Livonia, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

The Hotel delivered what we wanted, and that was basically it...Rooms were small..Bathroom was ridiculously small..The bed is not as good as any Holiday Inn I usually stay at..Was disappointed to be honest..

Would I stay here again? Maybe.. But im going to try others first as price is close enough to other hotels.

Pros:

1. location
2. FREE PARKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cons:

1. Bathroom very small
2. Mattress does not compare to other Holiday Inns

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Thank you for posting your review of your exerpience at our hotel. I was dissappointed to read that we did not meet your expectations as our goal is always to exceed our guests expectations. I apologize that your nights rest was not as comfortable as you have come to expect from the Holiday Inn family of hotels.

Please know that each and every review is noted and reviewed as we continue to improve our hotel each day. We hope you would give us another opportunity to serve you again on your next visit to Grand Rapids.
Traverse
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had made reservations at this hotel to stay the evening before my Mother-in-law's surgery the following morning. After a long drive in freezing rain on terrible roads we arrived only to be turned away because I did not have a credit card. I informed the person at the front desk I wanted to pay with cash but was told I still needed a credit card. Or I could pay with cash upon departure if I gave them a $250 deposit, which would be refunded by mailing me a check within seven days. We were on a tight budget as we are not wealthy and traveled quite a distance to bring my elderly Mother-in-law for her surgery. I was very humiliated and was treated like a criminal by the snooty staff. We were forced to stay in a dumpy motel and only got an hour or so of sleep because of the noise. Only to wake up to police cars and a "meat wagon" outside our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Please accept my apologies for your experience upon your arrival at our hotel. I am concerned that our policies were not fully explained to you at the time of your reservation as they should have been. At the time you make your reservation, our agents are required to inform each guest that a valid credit card is required at check in. Should a guest wish to pay in cash, a $250.00 deposit is required. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you and your family.
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a nice Holiday Inn and I would recommend it as a place to stay when visiting Grand Rapids. Very easy on/off the expressway. I've seen on some reports complaints about road noise, but we did not have this experience. We are from an extremely rural area so we notice noise much more than your average person, yet we had no trouble here. It wasn't silent, but it wasn't overly loud. Easy to walk to the downtown area just across the river. Ford museum is right across the street.

Staff was very friendly and helpful not only during our stay but also during booking.

Restaurant on premises was decent. Better than what you would typically get at a HI, but not exceptional. It was good food at a decent price.

Overall, I would recommend the Holiday Inn and if we ever get back to the Grand Rapids area, we will stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I got in late and left early, so all I had exposure to was the staff and the room. The staff were very friendly and eager to help. The room (821) on the top floor had a great view to the north, but the highway noise was too much for me. I tried stacking pillows on the window to block some noise but no luck. I kept the air conditioning fan on to help block the noise, but that didn't cover the noise too much. Too bad the noise was such a bad experience for me, as the bed was comfy and the room was clean. Put this hotel in a quiet area, and I'd go back in a heart beat. But for me, I'd rather find a quieter hotel and drive into town. If you can sleep through traffic noise, then this is a great choice for you. Without the highway noise I would rate this hotel as a 4-5, little else matters when you don't sleep well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
years_on_the_road,

I apologize that your stay was so heavily impacted by our proximity to the expressway. We are reviewing plans to improve the noise impact and appreciate your feedback as it assists us in the prioritizing future improvements. We do strive to provide excellent guest service and cleanliness as we believe they are critical to a great experience. We are thankful that we met your expectations in these areas. Thanks again for your comments. Safe Travels!
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Visited in late February of 2013 while attending the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beer Festival. The hotel is modern, located in downtown Grand Rapids, ample free parking, and is within walking distance to all downtown attractions.

The rooms are up to date with the most current Holiday Inn furnishings and bedding. But the rooms are very small. The bathrooms in particular are tiny (but clean and fully functional). Also the bathrooms have the vanity in the room (a design choice that I personally dislike).

Finally, our air handling HVAC unit was very loud. Unlucky draw I guess.

Staff: the staff are friendly and customer service oriented. Definitely no problems there.

Lots of choices in downtown Grand Rapids. You are close to some GVSU facilities here, the Gerald Ford Museum, and other attractions... so there might be a very compelling reason to stay here.

Room Tip: I don't believe they have double bed rooms with queen beds, just full beds (just an FYI).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear jra3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I am happy to read you appreciate our clean and updated rooms. Your opinion is very important to us, as it helps us identify areas in need of improvement. I was really disappointed to learn that you were unsatisfied with the room layout and loud air conditioning unit, and would like to apologize for any inconveniences. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very nice. Clean. Newly refurbished. Staff very nice. Bar/lounge area in lobby. Dining room we had nice breakfast for two $15. Indoor pool was clean. Room on 7th floor but still can hear the hi way traffic. Room was nice. Near lots of event venues and museums and colleges.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from hi way. We were on 7th floor front of building and still could hear so...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown? Share your experiences!