“Humiliated” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   310 Pearl Street Nw, US 131 and Pearl Street, Grand Rapids, MI 49504   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersSilver level
Traverse
“Humiliated”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We had made reservations at this hotel to stay the evening before my Mother-in-law's surgery the following morning. After a long drive in freezing rain on terrible roads we arrived only to be turned away because I did not have a credit card. I informed the person at the front desk I wanted to pay with cash but was told I still needed a credit card. Or I could pay with cash upon departure if I gave them a $250 deposit, which would be refunded by mailing me a check within seven days. We were on a tight budget as we are not wealthy and traveled quite a distance to bring my elderly Mother-in-law for her surgery. I was very humiliated and was treated like a criminal by the snooty staff. We were forced to stay in a dumpy motel and only got an hour or so of sleep because of the noise. Only to wake up to police cars and a "meat wagon" outside our room.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Please accept my apologies for your experience upon your arrival at our hotel. I am concerned that our policies were not fully explained to you at the time of your reservation as they should have been. At the time you make your reservation, our agents are required to inform each guest that a valid credit card is required at check in. Should a guest wish to pay in cash, a $250.00 deposit is required. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience that was caused to you and your family.

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
  • Korean first
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This is a nice Holiday Inn and I would recommend it as a place to stay when visiting Grand Rapids. Very easy on/off the expressway. I've seen on some reports complaints about road noise, but we did not have this experience. We are from an extremely rural area so we notice noise much more than your average person, yet we had no trouble here. It wasn't silent, but it wasn't overly loud. Easy to walk to the downtown area just across the river. Ford museum is right across the street.

Staff was very friendly and helpful not only during our stay but also during booking.

Restaurant on premises was decent. Better than what you would typically get at a HI, but not exceptional. It was good food at a decent price.

Overall, I would recommend the Holiday Inn and if we ever get back to the Grand Rapids area, we will stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynchburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

I got in late and left early, so all I had exposure to was the staff and the room. The staff were very friendly and eager to help. The room (821) on the top floor had a great view to the north, but the highway noise was too much for me. I tried stacking pillows on the window to block some noise but no luck. I kept the air conditioning fan on to help block the noise, but that didn't cover the noise too much. Too bad the noise was such a bad experience for me, as the bed was comfy and the room was clean. Put this hotel in a quiet area, and I'd go back in a heart beat. But for me, I'd rather find a quieter hotel and drive into town. If you can sleep through traffic noise, then this is a great choice for you. Without the highway noise I would rate this hotel as a 4-5, little else matters when you don't sleep well.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Ellen M, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
years_on_the_road,

I apologize that your stay was so heavily impacted by our proximity to the expressway. We are reviewing plans to improve the noise impact and appreciate your feedback as it assists us in the prioritizing future improvements. We do strive to provide excellent guest service and cleanliness as we believe they are critical to a great experience. We are thankful that we met your expectations in these areas. Thanks again for your comments. Safe Travels!
Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Visited in late February of 2013 while attending the Michigan Brewers Guild Winter Beer Festival. The hotel is modern, located in downtown Grand Rapids, ample free parking, and is within walking distance to all downtown attractions.

The rooms are up to date with the most current Holiday Inn furnishings and bedding. But the rooms are very small. The bathrooms in particular are tiny (but clean and fully functional). Also the bathrooms have the vanity in the room (a design choice that I personally dislike).

Finally, our air handling HVAC unit was very loud. Unlucky draw I guess.

Staff: the staff are friendly and customer service oriented. Definitely no problems there.

Lots of choices in downtown Grand Rapids. You are close to some GVSU facilities here, the Gerald Ford Museum, and other attractions... so there might be a very compelling reason to stay here.

Room Tip: I don't believe they have double bed rooms with queen beds, just full beds (just an FYI).
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear jra3,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences. I am happy to read you appreciate our clean and updated rooms. Your opinion is very important to us, as it helps us identify areas in need of improvement. I was really disappointed to learn that you were unsatisfied with the room layout and loud air conditioning unit, and would like to apologize for any inconveniences. Rest assured that your comments have been documented and will certainly be looked into.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts and I hope that you will consider us again on your next travel.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Very nice. Clean. Newly refurbished. Staff very nice. Bar/lounge area in lobby. Dining room we had nice breakfast for two $15. Indoor pool was clean. Room on 7th floor but still can hear the hi way traffic. Room was nice. Near lots of event venues and museums and colleges.

Room Tip: We asked for a room away from hi way. We were on 7th floor front of building and still could hear so...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Grand Rivers, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Here on business, but cannot wait to come back for leisure. So many attractions within walking distance. Very clean, modern city. Many architectural, art, history and cultural sites. Love Grand Rapids! Holiday Inn is perfect host at a great rate!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amanda H, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Deborah M,
Thank you for your comments! We love to hear what our guests think of the hotel and the city. You are so right, there are a ton of things to do in Downtown Grand Rapids! The activities, concerts and festivals are always changing. We hope to see you back with us again!
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

This was the first time we visited Grand Rapids so we decided to stay at the Holiday Inn. The rooms were great and updated but also very cozy and spacious. Also, the hotel is located basically right next door to both the Public and Gerald Ford Museums! The hotel restaurant, the Pearl Street, also had great food. The burgers were great and the pancakes were some of the best I have ever had! The staff was also very friendly as well and the pool area was very spacious and nice as well! This is a great place to stay in Grand Rapids and we would stay here again anytime!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Heather E, Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Bob,

Thank you for your kind words. We love to hear how our guests were able to enjoy our hotel and our city. We look forward to your next visit with us.

Been to Holiday Inn Grand Rapids Downtown? Share your experiences!