“love Best Western” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Grand Rapids, United States
“love Best Western”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

This hotel was clean and very quiet. I only had one complaint and that is the pool was to cold to swim. other wise was a very pleasurable stay. I have stayed in a few different best westerns and they have never let me down. That is why I became a rewards member

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cameron C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for your recent review. We are very pleased to know that you truly enjoyed your stay. We are working diligently on repairing the issues that are causing the low temperature of the pool. We look forward to hosting you next time you visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ludington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Away from downtown. Great bed and bfast. Pool, Sauna, and hot tub not inviting due to renovation. Very noisy halls and outdoor doors were not locked at night. Our shower head was hard to turn. Water on the floor due to shower curtain not long enough. Bathroom door showed signs of water damage due to this. Limited parking and not plowed. Very pleasant staff.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your recent review. We do apologize for the inconvenience of the renovations that were underway in our pool area. Fortunately we were able to keep the pool open during that time. The final project will look amazing. We also apologize for the limited parking, unfortunately when you combine 4 days of snowfall and a busy parking lot, it makes it difficult for the snowplows to access everywhere they need to. We thank you for your kind words about our staff and breakfast. We look forward to seeing you again.
Hamilton, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Best Western was a nice place and a great value. Pool was nice although cold, the jacuzzi was really nice also, breakfast was served hot and very nice, well worth the price of the room. Location is great lots of stores and restaurants with in minutes of leaving the parking lot.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Cameron C, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review! We look forward to all feedback from our valued guests. We look forward to accommodating you in the future!
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

It is a generally a nice place to stay but small things could make it be much better. The mattresses were older and not overly comfortable. The hotel was decently clean, quiet and the pool was good. Breakfast was good - waffles, toast, pastries, bagels, cold cereal, powdered eggs, sausage patties, fruit, yogurt, coffee, juice etc. Dinner offering the 1st night was hot dogs, cold meatballs and cold rice. We ate dinner out during our stay.
Issues - Our 1st room had a pungent, overpowering odour of urine (like dog urine) - how could housekeeping miss that when cleaning the room? We changed rooms immediately. The 2nd room - the shower curtain bar had been pulled out of the wall and wedged back up. The curtain did not stay closed & water went all over the floor during a shower (told the front desk but it was still not fixed 3½ days later), the bathtub had a dirt ring about 1 or 2 inches from the bottom (where the water pooled during a shower), the ironing board fold-down lever was broken & both of our room key cards lost memory (we did not have a cell phone or magnet & 4 other people I spoke to had the same complaint). This is a big sprawling place and quite a walk to the front desk for a new key. Stop blaming - just apologise and fix it. Other issues - the room door safety latch was loose (pulling out of the wall), housekeeping did not leave bath towels on day 3 and the room coffee supplies were not replenished.
Our friends' room also had issues - the bed frame was broken on the bottom corner (the bed tipped up when you sat on the edge), both of their room card keys also lost their memory, their refrigerator was noisy & the temperature control knob was broken off (everything froze), the shower control handle was loose (over an inch of play made it hard to find and maintain a constant temperature), the door safety latch was pulling out of the wall, the bathroom light did not work (had to use the heat lamp for a light), housekeeping forgot to leave bath towels day 2 and 3 and the room coffee was not replenished.
I do not understand how these obvious issues could be neglected which makes me wonder how much attention is paid to other things that are not so noticeable. I know that it is a task to keep up but they should at least make the effort to fix the obvious shortfalls. I completed their survey and they were very apologetic. They did offer a discount for a future stay but I have no idea if or when I will be in that area again. I'm sure they know that too so other than for appearances, their offer is really just a meaningless gesture.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I sincerely apologize that your stay wasn't up to expectations for you or us. As much as it pains us to hear negative feedback, it is the best tool to use to improve our hotel. I would love to talk more about the issues you had in greater detail if you would be willing to contact me directly. We are working diligently to fix and repair the shortfalls listed in your review. We do hope you will give us a second chance to make a first impression.
Ludington, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Cleanliness left much to be desired. Stains on sheets, bedding, and walls. Wear a protective suit while sleeping. You can tell that they were a transitioning property that wanted to be better than it designed and built. My opinion is that they have a turnover problem within housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for taking the time to create a review. I truly apologize that your stay was much less than satisfactory. We are working hard and striving to create a new atmosphere with our employees. I promise you that the issues you mentioned are unacceptable and being fixed as we speak.
Appleton WI, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

At check in I was provided a room, when I went to the room it was apparent that there were some repairs to bathroom still in progress. I phoned Jessica & took my bags back down to the Lobby to explain the situation. By the time I got to the desk, Jessica had already arranged another room. When I got to the room I was VERY happily surprised to find my room had been upgraded for the inconvenience. Within in a few moments of entering the room, Jessica phoned the room and checked on my satisfaction with the accommodations. Jessica's attention to detail & customer service are to be highly commended. Jessica's efforts and hospitality were above and beyond my expectations and an example of why I choose Best Western when traveling.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the kind words. We are working hard on changing the culture of our hotel and staff and transforming it into what we hope will be one of the best in Grand Rapids. We look forward to hosting you next time you are in town.
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

Of course, upon arrival here at 11:30 p.m., it was a quick check in. There was still ample parking in the parking lot at this time of night. I was given room 201, which had a king bed plus a small refrigerator and microwave. Fortunately, it was a clean and quiet room. The bed was comfortable. I had a good night's rest. I used the on-site gym in the morning. The exercise facility had 2 treadmills, 1 stair stepper, and a weight lifting machine. Breakfast closes at 9:00 a.m. on weekdays (it closes at 10:00 a.m. on weekends), so being a Thursday I went to the breakfast room a few minutes before 9:00 a.m. The food consisted of scrambled eggs, yogurt, breads, juice and many other items to eat. It was indeed a full breakfast. On my way to breakfast, I stopped off in the lobby to get a complimentary issue of USA Today newspaper. I took the last one. Make sure you get to the lobby early enough in the morning if you want to read this newspaper. I then took a shower, and the water was hot with good water pressure. All the staff I encountered at the Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites were friendly and helpful. Upon departure, the checkout was also fast. I enjoyed my stay at this Best Western, and the price charged at this hotel was reasonable.

Room Tip: For a quiet room, ask to be located far away from the highway side of the hotel.