“Location and a great bed help make up for indifferent service” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #25 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Waunakee, Wisconsin
“Location and a great bed help make up for indifferent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I slept well here -- the pillow-top queen-sized bed was wonderful! And the location of this Best Western, immediately off I-96, made it a convenient stopping place during a longer trip. However, my welcome last night was tepid. "Beth" was on the phone when I arrived, taking care of something for another guest, but doing absolutely nothing to recognize my presence. This is a pet peeve of mine. Then after taking a long time to find my reservation on the computer, she produced a sheet for me to sign saying that I agreed to a specified rate -- with no rate specified. Looking over her shoulder to the office behind the desk I could see the board for an employee recognition program, with the various staff listed by name. Beth, I was not surprised to see, was not in the top five. She wasn't rude, exactly, but my satisfaction with the exchange did not seem to be a top priority of hers.

Then as I made my way to the room I was a little discouraged by a generally tired air to the place. In lots of little ways it showed the wear and tear of heavy use. Nothing disastrously bad, but lacking in freshness.

Once in the room, the wi-fi came up readily, and there was a good-sized flat screen TV. And as I mentioned at the beginning, the bed was wonderful. But there was a cabinet housing a refrigerator and microwave, the cabinet supplied with doors so you could close up like an old TV cabinet, yet you couldn't close the doors. Worse, the room was dark. Even with all the lamps on it just never seemed bright.

So putting it all together, this wasn't a disastrous stay by any means, particularly as I had found a good rate. But if on another late night I find myself passing through Grand Rapids again, I wouldn't hurry back here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Rachael L, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Guest,
I am sorry that you did not receive the service that you expected at my hotel. We have just changed management and I have returned to my position as general manager, and things like that will not be happening again in the future. We take pride in the job that we do, and our guests are the #1 most important reason why we are here and why we love our jobs. Please except my most humble apologies for the indifference that you felt. I want to thank you for your honest feedback about the hotel and for helping me to ensure that every guest stay in the future is a great one. If you ever find yourself in Grand Rapids again, I would love to have you stay with us and to see what great service you can receive here at the Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites. Call me any time to make a reservation, and I would be happy to personally reserve your room for you.
Cyrena Johnson,

191 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Shakopee, MN
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Before I get started I have to get this off my chest: While searching for hotels on TripAdvisor, I really wanted to stay at the Hampton Inn just on the other side of the freeway from this hotel. But so many of the reviews for the Hampton were so negative regarding road construction traffic that the impression was you couldn't get to the Hampton without much difficulty. Yes, there is construction on 28th, but each and every commercial business is truly accessible!

We stayed for two nights, June 21 and 22, 2013; a Friday and Saturday. Check in was OK but the guy checking me in was preoccupied with incoming phone calls.

Room Note: If you have any mobility issues, ask for a room near the one and only elevator. The other wings of this place are VERY long and a great distance form the front desk/breakfast area.

We were in a "suite" room; a long way away. You can park your car in the back and side lots and enter through some closer outside doors. NOTE: While these doors are room-key accessible for security, none of them ever closed tightly. Therefore, there was NO security of any of these side and rear doors.

The carpeting in the halls is very dirty; if I would have dropped anything on the floor I would not have picked it up!

The room was large with two bathrooms. The bed was clean and comfortable. The air conditioners are very loud and the temperature was difficult to control. The rooms are quite dark and there is limited lighting and NO lighting over the "kitchen" of microwave, refrigerator and sink! What's up with that? A simple $10 fixture would fix this.

Now for the really low point: Powdered eggs! Yes, powdered eggs at breakfast. And if you did choose some other breakfast items, there is not enough seating in the breakfast area.

We will not be back.

Room Tip: Only one elevator; some rooms are very distant. Side and back security doors do not lock.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Steve,
Thank you for your honest feedback about our hotel. I am sorry that your experience was not what you had hoped for it to be. I am returning to this hotel after months of working with some of our sister hotels, and I have taken it back over to ensure that guests needs are #1, that any errors are corrected, and that we are the best and most hospitable hotel in Grand Rapids. I appreciate that you have given us honest feedback in order to ensure that I have all the information I need to start over and make this hotel great. If you ever wish to give us another chance, please do not hesitate to call me and I would love to make your reservation for you. We would be happy to see you back in Grand Rapids again, and we would be happy to accommodate you in a room that is close to all of the activity of front desk, breakfast, and more. Thank you again for taking the time to give us feedback.
Cyrena Johnson
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Looking at some of the past reviews, you will see some very positive and some very negative accounts of this hotel. After spending two nights here, I can see how that happens: there are some very good and some quite poor aspects of this hotel.

Let's start with check-in. After traveling, it's always nice to see a desk attendant who is cheerful and smiling. I don't mind if they are busy, i just like to have the impression that I am walking into a nice place and the appearance of the front desk goes a long way with that. When I arrived, there was no one in front of me, and he was able to get right to me. I tried to pleasant as I always do, but he was clearly more interested in giving me a key as quick as possible so he could go back to doing whatever he was doing. Clearly this "Steve", written about two reviews below, had the day off.

As far as the room is concerned, it was cleaned and prepared well by housekeeping. The bed is comfortable, and I got two good nights of sleep. Unfortunately, the first night of sleep was a little too good, because the wake up call I requested (to the person who checked me in) was never given to me. I was still able to get where I needed to be on time, so I could accept that mistakes happen. I'm not big on needing a large breakfast. If there's some kind of food there, I'm fine, and there was, so breakfast is good.

The pool was very nice, other areas could be better maintained. Again, a hit and a miss.

At check-out, my experience was far better then at checkin. Jackie (I think?) was very pleasant and courteous, and thanks to her, this hotel gets three stars from me and not two.

The moral of the story is that this hotel has some serious inconsistencies going on. Usually, that points to issues at the managerial level. Regardless, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Cadillac, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a nice hotel. The staff is friendly, the breakfast was quite good, and everything was clean. The only complaints I have is that the cable would not work and the grout in the bathroom needs help. It looks like they tried to paint the grout several times and there are many places that the paint is worn off, looks bad. They also might look for a maintenance man that knows how to caulk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently had a 2 night stay. Staff were professional, courteous and helpful. A worker by the name of Steve offered to help me with me bags!! How refreshing...can't remember the last time that happened (if ever), unless the guy had a hand out for a tip. Thanks, Steve! You made my stay exceptional! Room was very clean and beds were comfortable. I would recommend this place and most definitely stay here again. The only thing I didn't like was the powdered eggs at breakfast. Other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've previously stayed in 2 different Best Westerns (Plus in Portage, IN and Premier in Denton, TX) and both experiences were amazing. So after a week of not so amazing hotels we were really looking forward to this stay. Unfortunately this one didn't come close to meeting expectations. Now don't get me wrong this place isn't the worst place I've stayed but there were some issues. First this place is dated and is in desperate need of some updates. The room itself isn't a bad size but they stuffed so many pieces of furniture in it is difficult for more than one person to move around at once. The beds were fine, as were the linens and pillows, no complaints there. The other furniture is super dingy especially the arm chair, which we steered clear of. The TV is very large it just has more channels that don't work than do. The biggest complaint and deal breaker is the A/C unit. This thing was on its own schedule and refused to adjust to ours. No matter what the settings were it would run for a few minutes every hour then shut off and unfortunately made it extremely difficult to sleep comfortably. More tossing and turning was done than actual sleeping and that is a deal breaker for me when my goal is to sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. We look forward to serving each guest and making sure that everyone has a great stay. Without specific feedback like what you have given us, then we would not be able to improve ourselves for future guests. I appreciate that you have been honest with us and I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. If you have further feedback, or if there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please give us a call at (616)949-8400. We would love to help.
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your feedback.
Cyrena Johnson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend 2013. My wife and I located this hotel on Hotels.com and booked and paid there. We reserved a room with a King bed for a 2-night stay for $178 and change.
There are a very wide array of mixed reviews on this hotel so I was pensive to say the least before arrival, however my fears were soon dispelled. Upon arrival we found a nice, updated exterior and a beautiful and welcoming lobby. We were greeted by two smiling faces at the front desk belonging to Dilana and Cyrena, two women who obviously love and understand the service industry. They were wonderful! Not only were they pleasant and helpful at every single request and question, but upon finding out it was our first anniversary, they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a jacuzzi room! We intended to do some shopping and were given information and hand-written directions to 3 different nearby malls as well as a quick review of the stores and amenities we would find there. Behind Disney World, these were two of the most helpful and positively pleasant people I have ever encountered upon check-in.
We found our room clean and spacious. Despite other reviews I had read, the room was obviously updated even including an HDTV that I would have guessed to be 40-42". The in-room Jacuzzi was huge compared to most I have seen, with plenty of room for two. The shower had an upper and lower nozzle (see pic), though the purpose or necessity was lost on me. The closet was weird as it wouldn't close completely with the hangars they had in there, but not a big deal at all. There was a large mini-fridge and a microwave in the room as well and, of course, wireless and wired internet. The bed was spacious and comfortable as well.
They had a court yard with a volleyball net set up outside, though it didn't appear to get much use. Inside they had a huge pool (by today's hotel standards) that actually went up to 9ft depth. The pool was obviously heated as it was a very pleasant temperature for this picky fellow :-) The jacuzzi was large as well, easily seating 12 adults comfortably. There was a small, but useful workout room and a sauna to round out the area.
Their breakfast area was a good size and had lots to offer, including cereal, oatmeal, sausage, eggs, waffles, bagels, yogurt and some fresh fruit (among other things). Drink selections included coffee, orange juice, apple juice, milk and water. I gave them a "Very Good" rating below, but this is the only area where I will ding them a little and it has everything to do with quality. It appears they opt for quantity/ variety over quality, an oversight I hope they will consider amending. The coffee was weak and didn't really taste all that good. The eggs appeared to be made from powder and sausage was, well, not edible...it was kinda gross actually...tasted more like cheap hamburg with a sausage flavoring. The orange juice was okay, but definitely a lower quality as well. Everything else that I had was good, the cereal, milk, fruit and oatmeal. The waffles were the one shining star! They were pretty fantastic :-)
Overall, pleasantly surprised, and more than a little baffled at some of the horror stories laid out in the reviews below. Our stay was excellent, and we are planning to return with the family, maybe for a little weekend getaway some time in the future. I would not hesitate to suggest this to any of my friends or family who might find themselves travelling in the area, and to you, the reader as well. Relax and book with confidence!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!