“Hit & Miss” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Hit & Miss”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Looking at some of the past reviews, you will see some very positive and some very negative accounts of this hotel. After spending two nights here, I can see how that happens: there are some very good and some quite poor aspects of this hotel.

Let's start with check-in. After traveling, it's always nice to see a desk attendant who is cheerful and smiling. I don't mind if they are busy, i just like to have the impression that I am walking into a nice place and the appearance of the front desk goes a long way with that. When I arrived, there was no one in front of me, and he was able to get right to me. I tried to pleasant as I always do, but he was clearly more interested in giving me a key as quick as possible so he could go back to doing whatever he was doing. Clearly this "Steve", written about two reviews below, had the day off.

As far as the room is concerned, it was cleaned and prepared well by housekeeping. The bed is comfortable, and I got two good nights of sleep. Unfortunately, the first night of sleep was a little too good, because the wake up call I requested (to the person who checked me in) was never given to me. I was still able to get where I needed to be on time, so I could accept that mistakes happen. I'm not big on needing a large breakfast. If there's some kind of food there, I'm fine, and there was, so breakfast is good.

The pool was very nice, other areas could be better maintained. Again, a hit and a miss.

At check-out, my experience was far better then at checkin. Jackie (I think?) was very pleasant and courteous, and thanks to her, this hotel gets three stars from me and not two.

The moral of the story is that this hotel has some serious inconsistencies going on. Usually, that points to issues at the managerial level. Regardless, I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

188 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Cadillac, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is a nice hotel. The staff is friendly, the breakfast was quite good, and everything was clean. The only complaints I have is that the cable would not work and the grout in the bathroom needs help. It looks like they tried to paint the grout several times and there are many places that the paint is worn off, looks bad. They also might look for a maintenance man that knows how to caulk.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently had a 2 night stay. Staff were professional, courteous and helpful. A worker by the name of Steve offered to help me with me bags!! How refreshing...can't remember the last time that happened (if ever), unless the guy had a hand out for a tip. Thanks, Steve! You made my stay exceptional! Room was very clean and beds were comfortable. I would recommend this place and most definitely stay here again. The only thing I didn't like was the powdered eggs at breakfast. Other than that, no complaints.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've previously stayed in 2 different Best Westerns (Plus in Portage, IN and Premier in Denton, TX) and both experiences were amazing. So after a week of not so amazing hotels we were really looking forward to this stay. Unfortunately this one didn't come close to meeting expectations. Now don't get me wrong this place isn't the worst place I've stayed but there were some issues. First this place is dated and is in desperate need of some updates. The room itself isn't a bad size but they stuffed so many pieces of furniture in it is difficult for more than one person to move around at once. The beds were fine, as were the linens and pillows, no complaints there. The other furniture is super dingy especially the arm chair, which we steered clear of. The TV is very large it just has more channels that don't work than do. The biggest complaint and deal breaker is the A/C unit. This thing was on its own schedule and refused to adjust to ours. No matter what the settings were it would run for a few minutes every hour then shut off and unfortunately made it extremely difficult to sleep comfortably. More tossing and turning was done than actual sleeping and that is a deal breaker for me when my goal is to sleep.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, Director of Sales at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. We look forward to serving each guest and making sure that everyone has a great stay. Without specific feedback like what you have given us, then we would not be able to improve ourselves for future guests. I appreciate that you have been honest with us and I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations. If you have further feedback, or if there is anything that we can do for you in the future, please give us a call at (616)949-8400. We would love to help.
Thank you for staying with us, and thank you for your feedback.
Cyrena Johnson
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed here over Memorial Day weekend 2013. My wife and I located this hotel on Hotels.com and booked and paid there. We reserved a room with a King bed for a 2-night stay for $178 and change.
There are a very wide array of mixed reviews on this hotel so I was pensive to say the least before arrival, however my fears were soon dispelled. Upon arrival we found a nice, updated exterior and a beautiful and welcoming lobby. We were greeted by two smiling faces at the front desk belonging to Dilana and Cyrena, two women who obviously love and understand the service industry. They were wonderful! Not only were they pleasant and helpful at every single request and question, but upon finding out it was our first anniversary, they gave us a complimentary upgrade to a jacuzzi room! We intended to do some shopping and were given information and hand-written directions to 3 different nearby malls as well as a quick review of the stores and amenities we would find there. Behind Disney World, these were two of the most helpful and positively pleasant people I have ever encountered upon check-in.
We found our room clean and spacious. Despite other reviews I had read, the room was obviously updated even including an HDTV that I would have guessed to be 40-42". The in-room Jacuzzi was huge compared to most I have seen, with plenty of room for two. The shower had an upper and lower nozzle (see pic), though the purpose or necessity was lost on me. The closet was weird as it wouldn't close completely with the hangars they had in there, but not a big deal at all. There was a large mini-fridge and a microwave in the room as well and, of course, wireless and wired internet. The bed was spacious and comfortable as well.
They had a court yard with a volleyball net set up outside, though it didn't appear to get much use. Inside they had a huge pool (by today's hotel standards) that actually went up to 9ft depth. The pool was obviously heated as it was a very pleasant temperature for this picky fellow :-) The jacuzzi was large as well, easily seating 12 adults comfortably. There was a small, but useful workout room and a sauna to round out the area.
Their breakfast area was a good size and had lots to offer, including cereal, oatmeal, sausage, eggs, waffles, bagels, yogurt and some fresh fruit (among other things). Drink selections included coffee, orange juice, apple juice, milk and water. I gave them a "Very Good" rating below, but this is the only area where I will ding them a little and it has everything to do with quality. It appears they opt for quantity/ variety over quality, an oversight I hope they will consider amending. The coffee was weak and didn't really taste all that good. The eggs appeared to be made from powder and sausage was, well, not edible...it was kinda gross actually...tasted more like cheap hamburg with a sausage flavoring. The orange juice was okay, but definitely a lower quality as well. Everything else that I had was good, the cereal, milk, fruit and oatmeal. The waffles were the one shining star! They were pretty fantastic :-)
Overall, pleasantly surprised, and more than a little baffled at some of the horror stories laid out in the reviews below. Our stay was excellent, and we are planning to return with the family, maybe for a little weekend getaway some time in the future. I would not hesitate to suggest this to any of my friends or family who might find themselves travelling in the area, and to you, the reader as well. Relax and book with confidence!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My second stay was as good as the previous one. Room was good in general - I had a suite with two full baths. My only miscontent was the location and operation of the closet - cramped right next to the entrance door: limited access and the safe and spare bedings taking most of the room inside. Other than that - comfortable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel about 3 miles away from the airport. Shuttle run every 30 minutes.
Nice breakfast with eggs, sauce, baggle, bread, yogurt.... I wish the breakfast earlier than 6AM, as time I have to catch flight early as 7Am, . Surprise that they provide dinner ( hotdog, hamburger, chicken, salad, soda, chip and dip)
The Hotels on 28 th street along with many others hotels closeby. It's near the mall and many different kind of restaurants and the Meijer across the street.

Room Tip: Room 234 on 2nd floor is 2 queen bed with a nice courtyard view, quiet. Microwave and refri in roo...