“What you'd expect for the price” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
St. Clair Shores, Michigan, United States
“What you'd expect for the price”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

If you are looking for a relatively inexpensive room close to everything on 28th St, then by far this is the place to stay. My room was clean, though outdated. The hallways were ok but I worked until 3 am so the hallways are the last thing I am really looking at..staff was friendly and efficient.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rachael L, Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of my property. Our staff prides ourselves with having excellent customer service and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay while at our property. I hope you will stay with us again if you are ever in the Grand Rapids area.

Rachael Laubengayer
Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

We weren't expecting much from this hotel as it is in no way fancy. The hallways were rather shabby, so we were pleasantly surprised with how nice the room was: clean & comfortable with a sloped ceiling that gave it a roomy effect + the beds & pillows were very comfy. The bathroom was slightly larger than usual hotels of this caliber and was clean. Breakfast was fine--nothing special, but it was adequate. Mostly bagels, sweet rolls, cereal, yogurt, and bad scrambled eggs, but my daughter did have a great waffle (according to her). It was one of those make-your-own waffle machines, so she was happy. Cannot comment on the pool as we did not use it. The location is convenient to many restaurants, shopping, and the airport and probably 10 minutes to downtown. Overall, a decent hotel and a good value.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear TheBigTrain,

Thank you for the review of our hotel! I am glad that your daughter enjoyed the waffles-they are so delicious! I am also glad that you enjoyed your room. We would love to have you back here next time you visit downtown Grand Rapids! Just give me a call and I will be happy to make a reservation for you.

Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

This was our second stay at this particular property. The hall carpets were in bad shape and while the room was clean, housekeeping went way overboard with deodorizer. Management said that it was because there was someone smoking in our room prior to our stay. Whatever the reason, it was pretty awful.

The complimentary breakfast was inadequate for the influx of guests both mornings. There was little food to be had and what was there was skimpy at best. The one breakfast staff member had a difficult time keeping up and it was a mess. Management said there was a second staff member scheduled that was a no show both days.

Disappointing.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Dear Guest,
I am extremely sorry to hear that your stay here with us was not as great as last time. I would like to know when you stayed and who you spoke with in order to gather what happened at the hotel. Please email me personally at 23161@hotel.bestwestern.com so that I can personally gather information from you. I would really appreciate if you had the time. I would also like to know which room this was in so I can make sure to verify that there is no odor from smoking for from cleaning products. Housekeeping deep cleans rooms when someone has smoked in them, and you may have smelled the cleaner inside which can smell like cinnamon. I am very sorry for not meeting your expectations, Please contact me personally so that I can make it right.
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

While my experiences at Best Western hotels have been excellent in the past, I had a poor stay here. This is supposed to be a fully non-smoking hotel but the room and the hall were filled with the smell of cigarette smoke for two nights in a row. The room did have comfy beds but sleep was interrupted by noisy parties at 3:30 in the morning both nights. The toilet did not work, with the water constantly running, and the shower water temperature was cold when the lever was on "hot," and vice versa. Calls and complaints to the front desk the first night, resulted in no changes the second night. The breakfast was just ok so I ended up asking for directions to a breakfast restaurant that was supposedly nearby. I was told it was two miles down the road but, when I pulled out of the parking lot, it turned out to be one block away. Also, the ArtPrize package that my friend registered for was denied us until someone more knowledgeable came on duty. All in all, a big disappointment. I'll find somewhere else to stay when I come for ArtPrize next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Gnail,
I am extremely sorry that you did not have a great experience when you came to my hotel. We had many guests come who got the ArtPrize package and the employees were trained on how to ensure that everyone had a smooth check-in. I am so sorry that this was not the case for your stay. We did have some guests smoke in the hotel, and they were removed from the hotel after they continued smoking after we asked them repeatedly to stop. I am so sorry that you experienced this in our hotel. If you have time, please email me at the hotel at 23161@hotel.bestwestern.com to let me know about your stay. I would like to know who checked you in and also who did not handle your situation when you complained. I have a couple of new people on my staff and I want to make sure that everyone is trained properly on how to handle these situations so that this does not happen again in the future. If you have the time, I would love to hear from you personally so that I may look at your reservation and see everything that I can do to make it better. Thank you so much for your honest review, and thank you for taking the time to help us improve the hotel. I wish you the best in your future travels.
Longwood, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Location to Grand Rapids International Airport is an easy 8 minute drive. Hotel was undergoing some renovation during our stay, but encountered little inconvenience due to this. Found our room a bit dated, but it was clean. Surprisingly, the bed was comfortable. Breakfast was adequate though not necessarily exceptional.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review of my property. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our new beds. Please call the hotel any time if you need to make another reservation in Grand Rapids. Our phone number is 616-949-8400.
Wishing you wonderful travels,
Cyrena Johnson
Macomb, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Came to Grand Rapids for a weekend of fun! Chose the Best Western Hotel because it has the largest pool in the area, as advertised on the internet. It was definitely true the pool area was beautiful, has a nice deep end of 9 ft,& jacuzzi however had we known it was CLOSED FOR PAINTING we definitely would not have stayed here.When I spoke to assistant mgr Marcus I was told "unfortunately it was poor timing". Yes Marcus you are right it was unfortunate esp. for my 2 children who were devastated they couldn't swim!!! We should have been notified of this prior to our arrival!! If this is how the Best Western chooses to treat their guests we will no longer be staying here, and as if this wasn't enough we were quoted a rate off $88.22 and my debit card was charged $10.00 more?? What is that for? Use of unacceptable amentities? This Hotel handles matters absolutely horrible for their "guests" and could really care less!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Ann,
I am sorry that we had the pool closed when you came to visit our hotel. We truly did the best we could to close our pool during slow season when everyone was starting school, to tell each guest we made a reservation with, and to send our guests across the street to the other indoor pool that we own. I am truly sorry that you were not satisfied with your stay. If I never had to close our pool, even during the night, I swear I never would. It’s one of my favorite parts about the hotel, and I cannot wait until it opens this Friday. I hope you will use the coupon I sent you to stay with us again. I know that you will be happy next time you stay. Please, if there is anything I can do for you, call me any time at (616)949-8400.
Very Sincerely,
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Easy to find at the bottom of the exit off the freeway. Rooms were very quiet. Decent, full breakfast and lots of room to find a table. Hotel is a bit dated but it is clean. Good price. We stayed here for the night before going to the Aquinas College Open House. Good location for visiting this college. We did not use the pool so can not give any report. Quick check in.

Room Tip: Stay away from freeway side of hotel.