“A Very Happy Ending...” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Oakdale, Pennsylvania
“A Very Happy Ending...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Arrived just before midnight after a very long, tiring day and our room was disappointing to be polite. The toilet & shower were both clean, so we made the best of it. I made a list of all the problems and gave it to the ladies (both very pleasant) at the front desk & they thanked me and said they would pass along to the general manager. After returning home, I called the hotel to see if my list and the problems had been addressed by the manager. This is where it got complicated, so let me cut to the bottom line - the general manager (Cyrena) was fantastic. A compassionate, warm-hearted individual who honestly loves this hotel. There has been recent remodeling, and this room had fallen through the cracks. If you stay there, ask for Room 114 - I believe it is now in tip-top shape. Also, please ask for Cyrena and give her a hug from Mary Ann!!

Room Tip: Ask for room 114 - Cyrena assured me it is now up to their high standards.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Mary Ann,
I just wanted to say thank you for all of your help and for your persistence. I am lucky to have had the opportunity to speak with someone who is kind-hearted and truly cares about others. Sometimes it seems that we don't find enough people like you in the world, and it is a true blessing to me when I come across someone with a heart like yours. I thank you so much for the opportunity to work with you, and please rest assured that your kindness will be payed forward again and again. I hope to see you next time you are in Grand Rapids! Please stop by if you are ever in town again. I would really love that hug!
Cyrena Johnson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Ann Arbor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at the hotel the beginning of August and enjoyed everything. We were "guest of the day," so we were upgraded to a jacuzzi room. It was very clean and spacious--very nice. We're looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear A W,
Thank you for your review of my hotel! I am so happy that you enjoyed your time at our place! We would love to see you back here for your next trip to Grand Rapids! If there is anything you need, or if you have some recommendations about how we can improve our hotel, please do not hesitate to call any time. We are always happy to help!
Wonderful wishes!
-Cyrena Johnson
Saginaw, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed overnight at this property for the Grand Rapids Color Run and had a great experience! Clean, friendly, and very affordable. The staff is really helpful and their service was greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Room Tip: Relatively close to the downtown area. About a $20 dollar cab ride each way. More convenient than de...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear Pikid71,
Thank you for staying at our hotel! We were so happy to have you and to see how much fun you had at the Color Run. You were all such a colorful mess when you got back! It was really a pleasure to see so many people having fun at the Color Run and at our hotel. We hope to have you back soon! Thank you for the great review! Please call the hotel any time if you need to stay in Grand Rapids again.
Clearwater Beach,FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

The information on the hotel said you received a free HOT supper Sunday thru Thursday. We stayed on a Monday night. The HOT supper was a bacon, lettuce & tomato sandwich.
The check in attendent was preoccupied and not friendly or informative.
The pool was COLD and the hot tub was just warm. The steam room was not working at all.
The room was OK. The breakfast had hot waffles and instant eggs but was at least a hot meal.

Room Tip: Rooms on the east side are further away from the interstate.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback about our hotel. We are always striving to make sure that each guest is satisfied. For this reason, we change our dinner menu on a daily basis. Mondays we always have a sandwich theme from pulled pork or chicken to roll-ups. Some of our guests requested that we do BLT sandwiches and salad, so we did to make them happy. I am truly sorry that you did not like these because we do everything we can to make everyone happy. I am also glad for your feedback because next time we can add something supplemental such as a soup so that people who do not like BLT sandwiches can also enjoy dinner.
Thank you for your feedback about the pool as well. We do keep the pool between 80 and 85 degrees at all times, and we encourage people to remember that this will feel cold in weather that is hot and also because body temperatures are in the high nineties.
Finally and most importantly, I would like to apologize that the employee at the front desk was unfriendly or inattentive. We believe that guest service is the most important thing we do at the hotel, and it is not acceptable for anyone to feel that they are unimportant or unwelcome. We have a meeting for all guest services staff next week, and I will be addressing this review with everyone because we should make this hotel feel like every guest's home away from home. I really appreciate your honest and thorough feedback. Without this, we would not be so easily able to improve our hotel. Please contact me at the hotel if there is anything further that you would like to discuss, or if there is anything that I can do to help you in the future. We would love to have you come back and give us another chance.
Saint Louis, Missouri
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

We have never been disappointed with Best Western Hotels until this trip. The lobby and eating area were very nice and updated. Can't say the samething for the rooms. They put us in the fartherest away room they could. The king size bed took up the whole complete room. The closet was not deep enough to hang your clothes. Our stay was for 4 nights. The morning of the last night, we went to have breakfast and there were no danish rolls, which they had had every morning of our stay. I aski the girl about it. She told me because they had so many people for the weekend they ran out of the rolls! What? She got only so many for the week and when they were gone they were gone? I don't recommend this hotel to anyone. There are many more nicer ones in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, August 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review of my hotel. I am sorry that your expectations were not met. You are right to say that it is unacceptable to run out of a certain type of food during breakfast. We have many options, but one of the favorite options is the danish. We have a market down the road where we purchase our goods, and there is no reason for them to run out. I will ensure better communication between myself and the breakfast staff in order to keep that situation from happening again. Also, I am sorry that you were unhappy with the size of your room. If there is anything I can do for you, please email me at 23161@hotel.bestwestern.com. I would be happy to speak with you about your stay and how we can make our hotel better for the guests who visit.
Thank you again for letting us and our guests know how your stay was. It is important for us to have all reviews, good and bad.

Have a wonderful day!

DuBois, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stay about 25 nights a year at Best Western hotels.
I had a great experience, they made me guest of the day..... woow
Very nice employees, clean rooms, I can really recommend this hotel
to everyone!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review! I will make sure to let my staff know that you appreciated their hospitality. Contact me any time if there is anything I can do for you. We hope to see you again on your next visit into Grand Rapids!
Have a wonderful day!
Battle Creek, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

We stayed 1 night here somwe could put out daughter on a plane at GRR the next day. This was our trip with our dog and I was surprised that I could not tell we were in a pet room. It was clean, the beds had clean crisp, white bedding. The pet fee was only $10 a day which beats the kennel any day. The breakfast was one of the better ones I've had and included waffles, eggs, sausage patties in addition to the usual free hotel breakfast stuff. The pool and hot tub were clean, but the sauna was broken. The workout room looked decent with several tread mills, a weight maching, and TV. The housekeeping staff was friendly as was the front desk attendants. great location. Really close to the airport and lots of restaurants.

I did notice that the staff seemed to be dealing with a lot of problems at the front desk and wonder if that is a sign of underlying issues. There didn't seem to be enough power outlets in our room (for our phones to charge) and I didn't like that one of the outlets seemed overloaded. I would have given this hotel 5 stars if not for those and the sauna not working.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Best_Western_23161, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Viper615,
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I appreciate you letting us know about the sauna so that we can get it fixed. Since it is a special type of power, we will get a professional out to do so as soon as possible. I'm glad that you were able to bring your pet with you and have a great time in the hotel. Some of the front desk staff members are new, so they are trying to learn how to answer questions at the front desk while training. I always check in with them to see what is going on in the rooms so we can get it taken care of. I hope that next time you come to Grand Rapids you will stay with us again. We always love to see our guests come back and visit - and don't forget to bring that pup again!
If there is anything you need in the future, please call me at 616-949-8400. We are at the front desk 24/7 and happy to help with whatever you need.
Cyrena Johnson

Been to BEST WESTERN Hospitality Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!