“Located in the Heart of Grand Rapids” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   187 Monroe NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503   |
Ranked #4 of 51 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Michigan
“Located in the Heart of Grand Rapids”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the hotel for a conference. Despite the fact there were a lot of people checking in at the same time, the staff was very efficient. The line moved quickly.
We stayed in the older part of the hotel but it didn't matter. Everything was beautifully decorated and very clean.

Our conference included breakfast and lunch. As soon as we entered the dining area, we were greeted with choice of juice and coffee. The staff was top notch. We had the same experience at lunch.

One huge plus was the free Wi Fi through out the hotel. We will definitely go back to explore more of Grand Rapids.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Zionsville, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My room was very quiet even though the hotel was booked for several events. I loved the choice in pillows( I usually bring my own) The bathroom has an incredible magnifying makeup mirror. Plenty of towels, and nice quality. The staff was very accommodating. I was very surprised to see some nice shops as an added bonus. The rooms also have a great view. Would recommend stopping if passing through the area.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Global
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

REALLY nice staff... BIG property with tons of little shops inside.

Upper floors have a great view of the city.

My one caution would be if you are in the hotel during the time of a conference it can be VERY CROWDED. I went down to breakfast, and after waiting 5 minutes to be seated -- I checked inside the restaurant -- VERY CROWDED. I went back up to my room to order room service.

Nice, quiet, clean hotel.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us while you were visiting Grand Rapids! I am glad that you enjoyed our friendly staff and the beautiful views from our upper floors. I apologize that the hotel felt crowded for you. While we love having a lively hotel filled with diverse visitors during conventions, we are also continually looking for ways to make sure our guests have an outstanding and relaxing stay regardless of how full the hotel is. We appreciate your feedback on this, and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Outdated hotel, musty old rooms. Can hear through the walls. The lobby is beautiful but if you care about the quality of your room you are better off staying at the JW. With an update this could once again be a top notch hotel.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for sharing this important feedback with us. I apologize that your room was musty and noisy. We would love the opportunity to host you again for a more enjoyable experience, and would recommend that you request a room on the Tower side of the hotel. These rooms are newer and are currently being updated to be even more stylish and modern. We look forward to seeing you again.

Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

My wife and I were cutting through Grand Rapids on our vacation, I wanted to stay at a nicer place.
This place exceeded my expectations. The hotel was clean and gorgeous. My wife was amazed at how nice it was. The lobby was amazing.
We did concierge level room. It was only 30.00 more and it was well worth it. We got a corner room with a great view of the river. It also came with drinks before dinner and breakfast the next morning. The breakfast was great.

My wife and I loved the location of the hotel. We went for a walk along the river right next to the hotel. There was great path and two walking bridges that went across the river so we could do a complete loop. It was a great addition to the hotel.

Bed was comfortable and so was the room.

Room Tip: easy to get to from anywhere.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had a room in the old side of the hotel. The room was attractive and spacious, but strangely laid out: the tub/shower and toilet are in one little room off the main bedroom, and the sink/vanity are in another. So after using the toilet, one has to walk through the bedroom to the other space to wash ones's hands...ODD. We did have a small walk in closet, though. By far my biggest complaint is that the walls seemed paper thin. Lots of noise from adjoining rooms, hallway, nearby plumbing, elevator chimes...the list goes on. My suggestion is make the rooms a bit smaller and use the extra space for sound absorbing materials...

Menomonie, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

This is our favorite place to stay when visiting family in Michigan. From the bellman, to the front desk and housekeeping staff, we are never disappointed. We had a great stay on the concierge floor and enjoyed the quiet retreat offered by the concierge room for breakfast and cocktails. The hotel has good restaurants and its proximity to fine and casual dining is very appealing. We visit this hotel several times a year and truly enjoy being guests in what used to be our home town. My favorite is the head bellman who always calls us by name and says something akin to "see you next time". The Amway feels like home.

Room Tip: Rooms need to be fitted with surge protectors to accommodate todays technology needs.
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience. I am glad you found your room to be attractive and spacious, and take your feedback on the other aspects of the room very seriously. We will take these into consideration as we continue to update and improve the hotel. I would recommend that the next time you stay with us you request a room on the Tower side of the hotel. These rooms have a consistent layout and have more soundproofing due to being newer. The rooms on the Pantlind side have varying layouts due to being historic. We hope to host you again very soon!

C. Kolehouse

Been to Amway Grand Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!