“Great Stay for the 4th of July” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   187 Monroe NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503   |
Ranked #3 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Great Stay for the 4th of July”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We had an overnight stay at the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel on July 4th. The entire stay was very nice and everyone was very helpful. Our package included parking in the ramp and internet access. The room was clean, well designed and comfortable. We were in the old part of the hotel (former Pantlind Hotel) so our view was ok. We were planning to watch the fireworks from the riverside anyway, so it wasn't a big deal. Check in was a bit slow as there were several families checking in at the same time. The desk clerk was "in training" per her name tag, but seemed to know everything and was very friendly. I over-heard another desk clerk telling a guest the hotel would go into "lock down" at 7 pm and you'd need to show your room key to get on the elevators, but never saw any evidence of this and no security ever asked for any identification. I would do this stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for sharing your July 4th celebration with us! We are always honored when guests choose to spend their special occasions with us.

A note on the comment about a lock down that you heard - typically on July 4 we have extra security at the hotel to make sure our guests continue to have a serene experience while there are many visitors coming downtown to view the fireworks. This year we actually did not lock down the hotel, but just made sure there was ample security and other staff to accommodate both visitors and guests.

We hope to host you for another holiday celebration - or perhaps just a weekend away - sometime very soon!

574 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Ferndale, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This is a really beautiful hotel. We stayed in the "old wing" but everything was updated and really nice. Rooms were big, bathrooms were spacious, beds were comfy, very nice amenities overall. Words can't even begin to describe the lobby. . .just breathtaking. I highly recommend having a drink or two at the Lumber Baron bar. Great drinks and snacks in a really elegant setting. The staff throughout the hotel were all VERY helpful and nice too. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review our hotel! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and had a chance to visit the Lumber Baron Bar - it is such a charming, intimate space and a lovely place to have a cocktail. Thank you for your kind words about our staff, of whom we are so very proud. We hope to see you again soon!

Byron Center, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

We spent the night of the 4th of July at the Amway Hotel in GR, it was a great room in the 16th floor, awesome view of the fireworks, fantastic, there were only 2 things I have to say I was not very impressed, one was the valet parking fee was $25, (funny thing is when we go for dinner only at Cignus 27, parking is "complimentary") and the other thing is I booked 2 beds, but I got a king size instead, so they had to put a rolling bed, they should know that "3 guests" can't sleep in one bed...

Room Tip: Breakfast was not included, they had "face painting" at the 4th floor, but not very profes...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience! We appreciate you sharing your July 4th celebration with us, and are glad that you enjoyed your view of the fireworks.

I sincerely apologize for the bed situation in your room - it is certainly not our typical practice to put three people in a king room. While I can't be sure exactly without having the details of your reservation, my guess is that there weren't any queen rooms available with a view of the fireworks and that is why the agent who checked you in put you in a king room.

Thank you again for staying with us, and we hope you'll celebrate Independence Day with us again next year! We look forward to hosting you again soon.

C. Kolehouse.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

I hadn't even heard of Grand Rapids before the International Trumpet Guild decided to bring its 2013 conference here. I so enjoyed my visit to this nice city and this beautiful and unusual hotel.

As others have said the Amway Grand Plaza gets the best of both worlds with its utterly gorgeous historic building linked to the shiny modern glass tower at the riverside. The foyer at the Pantlind end is really something to see - just sit in there and soak it up ... it's crazy but it feels like you are in the Train Bleu in Paris or something. C'est magnifique! And it's set in a nice downtown area right by the river: you can really feel at home here.

I can't comment that much on the food as I mostly ate out, but what I did have - a couple of official catered event and meeting things - was great. The little snack bar or cafe down near the entrance is unglamorous but very pleasant and I got a little addicted to its delicious salads; the riverside restaurant is beautiful and the one rushed lunch (my fault, not theirs) I managed in there was great. The big bar downstairs is very striking and has a nice atmosphere.

My room was very comfortable and well appointed, and looked after nicely by the very pleasant housekeeping staff. I could have done with some direct ventilation - no window would open a millimetre, which can make it feel a bit claustrophobic, and on a warm night you either have to get too hot or have the AC going on and off all night. I know there must be various concerns about having things that open but I would have loved to have a real breeze in the room once or twice.

On the subject of the room I must congratulate the Amway Grand Plaza on providing the only hotel alarm clock radio that I have ever really understood and felt confident about programming! :) It even plays your iPod too. Nice one.

The conference facilities were excellent. We are not a quiet conference (ah, you noticed that?) and talkthrough between rooms can be a problem but it seems to have been well-managed or largely avoided. Some of the older rooms are stunning - I'm thinking of the Pantlind and Imperial Ballrooms in particular: they are both spectacular and the latter was a real architectural treat. Oh and the glass lift up to my room - great ride!

I mentioned the staff. They were unfailingly polite, pleasant, helpful and friendly - a very nice mixture of efficient/professional without being too formal. I think this was pitched just right - they are wonderful ambassadors for the hotel. I may have fallen in love just a tiny bit with the lady in the shop. :) Her pleasant manner and good humour really made my day.

In summary - this was a very nice stay in a great hotel. I will need to find an excuse to return to Grand Rapids and stay here again one day. Thank you.

Room Tip: For heritage go for the old Pantlind building - for spectacle, try for the glass tower and a river v...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear Valued Guest,

We were so happy to host the International Trumpet Guild, and so glad that you could make it! We really enjoyed listening to the music throughout the hotel that week, and getting to know you and the many other talented individuals who attended.

We appreciate you sharing this very kind and thorough review of our hotel. What means the most to us is your appreciation of our staff. We are so blessed to have many genuinely friendly and polite associates who make our hotel what it is.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again sometime!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This hotel has some interesting history, like the chandeliers, the seven very extra wide room doors on each floor, and the sunburst on the wall. But I will leave it to the reader to discover the secrets of these items.
The rooms were very nice and comfortable. There are several places to eat in the hotel. The valet service is very quick and dependable. The staff members were friendly and efficient.

We were here for the ordination of the Bishop of Grand Rapids, His Excellency David Walkowiak. The hotel was an easy 10 minute drive to the Diocesan offices and Cathedral of St. Andrews.

We were very happy with this hotel and highly recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us while you were here for the Bishop of Grand Rapids' ordination! We are pleased and honored that you chose to stay with us. Thank you as well for you kind words about our hotel, and for sharing this wonderful photo of the sunburst in the Historic Pantlind Lobby. We hope to host you again when you are next in Grand Rapids!

Norfolk, Nebraska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

I stayed for three nights last week during a business conference. The room was very nice with a walk in closet. The hotel has been restored beautifully although I am guessing that they have added a new lobby in some sort of addition or adjoining building. It is a stone's throw from the Gerald Ford Presidential Museum, the River pedestrian area, and apparently many downtown restaurants. We were usually tied up with conference events so I only ventured out by myself on one evening. My room was always clean. One morning the shower was only lukewarm but fine the other days. I found a couple of cute shops within the hotel and the hotel staff were always friendly and respectful. Based on my first experience, I would stay again in a heartbeat. My room was quiet.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Moorpark, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

I had a lovely tower room on a concierge floor, overlooking the river. The room is pretty good sized; mine had a king-sized bed plus chairs and a small table in addition to a desk. A small fridge was a pleasant surprise.

The location is good if you need to be downtown. It's connected via indoor walkways to the event venues and office buildings in the immediate vicinity, so you're protected from the weather. They do not provide airport transportation, and a cab will run $30-35.

Internet is free and reliable, though it made me sign in every time I re-opened the browser. One distraction was a lack of available outlets; I had to unplug lamps and move things around to find a space to plug in the coffeemaker. The least impressive part of the room is the bathroom, which would fit into any mid-range hotel quite nicely but no more than that. Amenities include 2-in-1 shampoo/conditioner, lotion, soap, and cotton balls.

The fitness center is very complete and complimentary to guests.

The concierge lounge provides continental breakfast and evening hors d'oeuvres. Alcohol is extra.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and for taking the time to review your experience! We are glad that you enjoyed your room, our downtown location, and our reliable Internet service. Thank you for your feedback on the lack of outlets and the bathrooms. These are excellent things for us to be taking into consideration as we begin renovating our Tower guest rooms, a project that we are pleased to be beginning very soon! We hope that you will come back and see us again so you can see the transformation.

C. Kolehouse

Been to Amway Grand Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!