“Beautiful renovated hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Riverview, Canada
“Beautiful renovated hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

I stayed here for only one night in May and was pleasantly surprised. The tower I stayed in was renovated and very nice. The room was extra large (it had its own walk in closet), and the two queen beds were dwarfed by the size of the room. The bathroom was completely renovated and was clean and a pretty good size for a hotel bathroom. The lobby area was impressive with 3 large chandeliers and a water fountain. I didn't have a view (just of the roof!) but the room itself made up for lack of view. Right in the downtown area but still close to the highway.

Room Tip: Try to stay in the renovated tower as I heard from co-workers travelling with me that not all rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for staying with us while you were in Grand Rapids for the Mid-America Oireachtas! We really enjoyed hosting your group and seeing you all. It was fun to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with all the dancers and their families! I am glad you enjoyed your stay, our restaurants, and some of the nearby attractions. We hope to see you again next year!

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

We stayed on 18th floor of tower. Very nice room. Bath area a bit dated. We found the service to be exceptionally good. Was great to stay after River bank Run and use pool. Close to many nice restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013
Pittsburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

My daughter and I stayed for three nights in November 2012. We were in the older section and absolutely loved our room which had a king bed and additional sitting area, microwave, dressing room and refrigerator. The small restaurant with its old fashioned booths had nice food, my daughter loved the ice cream Sundae. Also had the Thanksgiving day buffet which exceeded our expectations. We were there for the Mid-America Oireachtas and the proximity to the dance venue and then some sightseeing was perfect.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Manassas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

I was here for a conference and was given a room in the "old section." The room had two queen beds. A small room with a tub/shower and commode and a separate room with a sink and closet. It had two chairs and a writing table. My view was of the street which was nice with the exception of the noise. I could hear everything as if I was sitting outside. The windows barred no sound. I was able to view a park like setting that had a dj, music and dancing one night of about 200 people which was kinda cool until I tried to go to sleep. The hotel is in a wonderful location but does not have the modern conveniences I have come to expect while on business. No fridge or microwave. The separation of the bathroom area was the worst part as there is no where to store items that one would use after exiting the shower, no where to hang clothes or dress. You have to go into the sink area to accomplish those things. I was turned off upon entering the room for the first time when I discovered a wire hanger left on the bed and a used bar of soap left in the shower. Gross! The hotel has beautiful architecture from the early 1900's. Just gorgeous. You can mail a letter in a mail chute from any floor. That was something I had never seen. The staff were amazing and all of them knew the historical information. They have a Starbucks on site which was great and some nice eateries throughout the hotel. I was never disappointed with the food or service. Glad I had a chance to stay there and experience it but would probably choose a more modern hotel if I find myself in Grand Rapids again.

• Stayed May 2013
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were here for your conference, and for sharing this valuable feedback with us. We sincerely apologize for the housekeeping errors that occurred when your room was prepared. That is far below our standards. Thank you for sharing your feedback on the set-up of the room - we will take this into consideration as we work through our upcoming room renovation project. We hope that you will stay with us again soon the next time you are in Grand Rapids. You may find that the rooms in the tower section of the hotel are more suitable for your needs and taste.

Grand Rapids, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I have stayed at the Amway Grand Plaza (AGP) Hotel a number of times for a work related function that occurs annually. I am seldom disappointed, and my most recent trip is no exception.

When I arrived I was hoping for a little extra space for an anniversary night during the week when my wife would be joining me. But the hotel was overbooked due to the conferences. No problem for the super friendly front desk technician Jaclyn. She dug deep and got me a little extra space with a slightly larger room despite the crowd. I really appreciated that extra effort and she was really friendly and professional.

Professionalism extended to my room where I happened upon the cleaning staff when I went back to my room to drop a bag. The woman very politely told me that she needed to see my room key before she allowed me access to the room. She took my key and verified that it unlocked the door. I really appreciated this security policy and she did the deed with real tact.

The room was good. It had nice large LG TV which I really appreciated. I was a bit put off by the condition of an upholstered side chair that was dirty and stained. This should be addressed by management as it was the only negative in an otherwise pleasant stay and it was not insignificant staining. Had I been planning on using the room more, I might have asked that it be addressed. However I am confident that the staff at AGP would have addressed the issue. I would recommend the AGP to anyone on business in GR!

Room Tip: If you like a view, ask for the tower river side. If you like the feel of old victorian decor, ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your loyalty for us, and for sharing this wonderful review! We are so glad you appreciated our guest service. We are so proud of our staff! We will be sure to pass along your compliments to Jaclyn.

We would really like to address the issue with the chair in your room. Would you please contact us so that you can provide us with your room number or a general description of where your room is located? Please email me at csmith@amwaygrand.com.

Thank you!

Grandville, MI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed at the Amway this past weekend. We booked a room online months in advance. We booked a $200/night Superior Suite that was NOT worth $200/night!! First off, if you are looking to stay at the Amway for the view, DO NOT book a Superior Suite! Their website states the view from this type of room is of downtown. Yeah right! All 3 windows in our corner room on the 5th floor had a view of the rooftop of the level below us, pipes, air ducts, vents, and anything else you would expect the see on the roof of a commercial building. We could see other buildings around us, but no part of the city streets, or river below. We realized very quickly there was a reason the blinds were shut when we entered the room. Needless to say we were very disappointed! We called the front desk to ask if we could possible switch rooms and explained that we booked online months ago and this type of room should be given out last. We also told them they should update their website to warn prospective guests of their "crappy view rooms". The front desk manager apologized and said there was nothing she could do for us because all of the rooms were booked. She also indicated that all of their Superior Suites have the same view. She offered us a $30 gift card to use at the Amway (of course).

Some of our friends from out of town stayed at the Amway that night. However, they booked only 2 weeks in advance and somehow recieved a Junior Suite on the 14th floor of the tower with a beautiful view for the exact same price!!!

Secondly, the room was not that spectacular. I have stayed at Holiday Inns with better & bigger accomodations for half the price! Room service fees would have been outrageous (had we used any of them) with a 22% gratuity added to each service. Also, we ordered a pizza at around 2:30 AM from the pizza place at the hotel. I was told it would be about 30 minutes for delivery. 30 minutes turned into an hour!! The pizza was good though.

Third, my sister called the front desk on the morning of check out to see if we could use the $30 gift card previously mentioned towards our room bill. They said "no", we had to use it at a restuarant or bar in the hotel or on room service! Luckily we had ordered a pizza the night before so they applied the $30 against that.

The hotel lobby and common areas were beautiful with fountains, HUGE glass chandeliers, and old furniture. The pool area was nice and the fitness center had plenty to choose from.

We were most disappointed with the view from our room for what we paid. The best part of our view was of the next place we will stay, the JW Marriott!

Room Tip: DO NOT book a Superior Suite if you are looking for a great view!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Carrie S, Manager at Amway Grand Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing this very important feedback with us. After reading your review, we re-evaluated the listings for Superior Rooms to make sure they are accurately reflecting what the rooms have to offer. We really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. We hope that you will consider staying with us again, as we would love the opportunity to provide you with a better experience so that you can really enjoy all that our hotel has to offer.

Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Stayed here on the Fri and Sat of GVSU graduation weekend. What a pleasure. Right in the heart of everything to do in downtown GR. You can walk to virtually everyplace you need to get to. The rooms are spacious and quiet and our 20th floor room with a view of the river was lovely. Is it pricey? A bit, but the location and wonderful staff and amenities make it all worth it. I would stay here without any hesitation on a return visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were in Grand Rapids for GVSU graduation! We appreciate you taking the time to rate us and share a review, and are so glad you enjoyed your stay. We hope to have the chance to host you again!

C. Kolehouse

Been to Amway Grand Plaza Hotel? Share your experiences!