“excellent craft beers” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Founders Brewing Co.

Founders Brewing Co.
235 Grandville Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
+1 616-776-1195
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 825 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Overlooking the brewing facilities, our Taproom allows customers a look into where the beer magic happens. It’s a great testing ground for us, and on any particular day you will find numerous products on draft available only at Founders. The unique offering of specialty beers, the laid back atmosphere, and thrice-weekly live music has helped to make our Taproom a staple in the Grand Rapids community and a destination for travelers.
Chicago, Illinois
“excellent craft beers”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Excellent craft beers here. Should of went a week earlier to get some KBS. Place was crowded on a late Saturday afternoon. Good atmosphere.

Visited March 2014

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“good beer”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Founders is a pretty awesome brewery, per my beer geek travel companion. It's in downtown Grand Rapids and stays open till late. However, the gift shop and kitchen close earlier, so we didn't experience those during our visit. They do have an awesome variety of tasty beers, and the people looked pretty happy, so overall it seems like a fun place.

Visited March 2014
Madison, Wisconsin
“KBS Draft Release Day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

We went to Founder's for the first time on their KBS Draft Party release on Saturday. We had to wait in line for an hour in the cold and then wait in two more lines for beer and food. Was it worth it? Yes.

Let's talk about KBS. If you don't know what it is, you need to google it. This is a beer you have to sip on because of the strong bourbon flavor and it's 11.2% alcohol. It's not one you chug down. You can also taste the coffee and chocolate flavors all at once too. Amazing beer. That's all we had at Founder's since we waited in line for over an hour just to experience it.

The food was also really good. We were recommended the Beer Cheese dip which is all sorts of awesome. The Backwoods B*stard sandwich with BBQ pulled pork was also amazing. The side of potato salad was alright.

The venue is huge. There's a large indoor seating area and bar and also a huge outdoor sitting area. Thankfully, they had a big fire and outdoor heat going so it wasn't too bad sitting outside. It would be lovely in the summer. They also have waiters running around outside who will get you your beer so you don't even need to wait in line necessarily. They have an extensive gift store too... which I must mention because I bought a $45 sweater there and while it's pricey, this is the softest and most comfy sweater I have ever owned. It's made of some alternative eco-friendly material and I found out it retains heat pretty well from the many times I've worn it since I got it.

So yes, go to Founders, spend a few hours and have a blast.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Fargo, North Dakota
“Awesome Brewery Environment and Beer Selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

Out of all the breweries I went to in Grand Rapids throughout the week I was visiting, this one was the best. They had plenty of waitstaff so my glass was never empty. The beer selection is very large and there is something for everyone. I didn't eat dinner but I had pretzels with their horseradish, wow, very good! Prices are reasonable and the Atmosphere is Awesome... The building is very unique and its obvious the locals like this place because it was packed! I would recommend this place to anyone who enjoys great craft beers and a brewpub atmosphere!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Wow. More than expected!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

Being from Virginia and what I know of breweries there I was very excited to come to Founders since they are known all over the country. The one negative I will say about this place is that I was a week early for their release of KBS! :(

The place was much bigger than I was expecting. Assuming a minimal food menus I was very impressed and how big it was. Mainly sandwiches but they had a lot! I has the Backwoods Bastards which is their play on a pulled pork. Very tasty but I could have done with a 1/2 sandwich (they do offer this!). It was a lot of meat!!

Their beers go without saying how good they are and they had a lot on tap. I wanted to try their smoked porter and this was served on their smaller bar. No problems though. Many of the patrons sitting at the bar was locals as I learned that by all the random numbers they were calling out to their server. Come to find out this was their "Mug Club" identification.

Overall, Founders was great. Very busy for lunch. Definitely is a MUST if you are in Grand Rapids!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Francesca J, Manager at Founders Brewing Co., responded to this review, March 15, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our taproom! It is amusing to hear an objective voice remark on the peculiar ordering habits of our Mug Club members but, with over 1700 members, it's pretty important they identify themselves immediately upon approaching the bar :). Please come and visit us again next time you are in town!