“Great place!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Founders Brewing Co.

Founders Brewing Co.
235 Grandville Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
+1 616-776-1195
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 743 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Overlooking the brewing facilities, our Taproom allows customers a look into where the beer magic happens. It’s a great testing ground for us, and on any particular day you will find numerous products on draft available only at Founders. The unique offering of specialty beers, the laid back atmosphere, and thrice-weekly live music has helped to make our Taproom a staple in the Grand Rapids community and a destination for travelers.
Richmond, Virginia
“Great place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

If you know Founder's beer, you know the beer is great! I was also very impressed with the food and service. We started with the beer cheese dip and it was fantastic. They have a variety of sandwiches to choose from for lunch and everyone at the table was very satisfied with their choice. And I can't say enough about everyone who works there. The servers work as a team so anybody that walks by your table asks you if you need anything- beer, napkins, etc. Everyone was so nice and helpful! I would definitely recommend for great atmosphere, food, beer, and service!

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Go for the beer.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

We visited Founders Brewing Co. during our day-trip to Grand Rapids. There are a lot of unique beers available, and the three varieties we tried were each very good. The staff is friendly and upbeat. We ordered deli sandwiches from the menu, and while they were made with fresh and tasty ingredients, the amount of meat and cheese on each sandwich was a bit less than I expected for the price. The staff provide beverage service, but customers will have to visit the order and pick-up windows to get their food.

This place caters to the college/young adult crowd; so I found it surprising that they charge for peanuts, which so many places use as a loss-leader to encourage more beverage sales.

It's an o.k. place, fine if you're with a bunch of friends looking for a good beer. They offer live music most days of the week, so that might be a draw. It's not on my list of places to revisit.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Indy
“Its alright... but a diamond in the rough for sure.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

I was riding solo since i was on a business trip and wanted to try something different. I do have an affinity for craft brew so I figured id give Founders a shot since I was in Grand Rapids. I got there and there was standing rooom only, but it wasnt too crowded. Just not enough places for folks to sit. I was greeted at the door by what looked like a sad cross between john travolta and ving rhames (large bouncer) - Friendly enough though. Kind of like a gentle giant I guess. Decent selection on the menu. All the types of fare you'd like to see if you were drunk and hungry. I had the beer cheese dip and shredded pork bbq sandwich. BIG portions. I am a good sized fellow with a beast appetite and I couldnt knock down more than 50% of it all. Taste was pretty damn good on the beer/cheese dip plate 4/5. The pork sandwich... meh 3/5 (kinda sloppy/soggy not enough smoke flavor etc..) and I know my way around some bbq. I had to share an 8 man table to get a place to sit otherwise I was going outside (weather was gorgeous) but if youre standing (most likely - only about 7-8 tables) there will only be an 8" ledge to put your food on (cant fit larger dishes on that).

All in all, a nice departure from what you'd ordinarily find by doing a quick search for "best restaruants in grand rapids." If you're only there for a night, go here, and go early to get a seat. Also these beers are high octane alcohol content. I didn't see cops stationed outside lurking and trying to pounce on folks but i'd arrange for a designated driver or taxi. You'll want to try out some of these various beers. They are pretty refreshing and you'll be on your a$$ if you drink what you'd like to drink if you know what I mean.

Happy trails from a wayfaring Indiana business guy....

Peace

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
McLean Virginia
“Not so much.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

We had a pleasant visit, the food was average. The four of us ordered three different beers. When the beer came there were only two types on the table. We pointed out that three of the glasses tasted the same and were the exact same color. Our waiter/bartender brought two smaller glasses and told us to taste the difference. There was none.

Would not hurry back to a average place when better ones are easily available in a very nice town.

• Visited August 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“I love this place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2012 via mobile

First time here, but I would like to come back. I have had their beer in bottles, and when we had an opportunity to visit the tap room, we jumped at the chance. I was not disappointed. The beer was great, including a specialty ale called Dave's Not Here. Atmosphere is great, and we loved the peanuts...you can throw the shells on the floor. Music wasnt too loud. We didn't have the food, so can't comment on this.