“Very pleasant stay for the family” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #3 of 52 hotels in Grand Rapids
Chicago, Illinois
“Very pleasant stay for the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We drove additional 30 minutes from Holland to stya in this hotel. It definitely worths the drive. Everything was excellent for our travelling party.

We had the river view side on 6th floor as we need the two queen sized beds. Room was smaller than the average but well equiped. We loved the bath room which has a sperate two heads shower and nice tub for kids to play in there.

We chose to dine outside as lots of choices for a few minutes walking. Such a great day to wander around downtown area on the Labor day weekend. Check out the San Chez Tapas place on Fulton. We loved it.

My husband has high regards on the matress. He had a such nice sleep and then decided we need to upgrade our own mattress. LOL.

I had a pleasant morning run along the riverwalk. Some portions were closed due to the high water. It was a great view of Marriot building from across the street. Kids had too much fun at the pool while I was enjoying the steam room and the hottop.

The concierge floor is on the 23rd. The view was nice. The breadfast items were decent. I was hoping they had the warm oatmeal for kids. The service staff was happy and very helpful.

Overall, a great stay for the family. Definitely will stay again when in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Carrie S, Manager at JW Marriott Hotel Grand Rapids, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for traveling the extra distance to visit our hotel when you were in the Holland area! It sounds like you were able to enjoy many of our hotel's amenities, as well as some of the great offerings of downtown Grand Rapids. How wonderful that we inspired your husband to upgrade his mattress! Sometimes just one outstanding night's sleep can inspire big changes. We hope to host you again soon when you are next in the area. We look forward to seeing you again!

462 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spend one night over Labor Day weekend while visiting Grand Rapids. Had two rooms on the 19th floor for my family. The kids enjoyed the pool. Work outs were easy to do in the well equipped and spacious gym. Concierge Lounge is open 24 hr with multiple food/snacks daily. Check-in was a breeze. The rooms were well appointed but smaller than average. Both rooms had Mini-Refrigerators. Bathrooms were tastefully decorated and functional. Room service was average and on par with most other hotels in costs. However, I must add that the $8 soup was way over-priced for what we got. Chicken noodle and a variation of Italian Wedding soup tasted "ok" but they literally gave you 6 tablespoonful of soup. Wi-fi coverage was decent and free. Hotel parking was $16/night. The Gerald Ford Presidential Library is literally across the street. Downtown Grand Rapids offers plenty of restaurant choices and activities within walking distance to this hotel. Looking forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and choosing to spend your Labor Day weekend with us! Thank you as well for your kind words and feedback about your experience. I am glad you enjoyed the pool, concierge lounge, and well-appointed rooms. We appreciate your feedback on the soup portion and price, and will take that into consideration. We look forward to hosting you again in the future and providing you and your family another unforgettable experience.

Holland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Service - valets and front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. I never opened a door. They valet was always there to help me. The front desk staff was always very eager to help me with directions by printing out maps and giving me suggestions for restaurants and activities. The cleaning staff broke my husband's brush, but the manager more than graciously compensated us for it.
Aesthetics - the entrance is small. If you are looking for grand, the Amway is definitely the way to go. The building is very modern, which we like and the rooms and bathrooms were modern as well with glass shower. I was surprised that there was only one sink in the bathroom and very little counter space. The beds were very comfortable, which is to be expected from a Marriott.
Food - We did not eat at the J.W., but Cygnus 27 at the Amway is fabulous! You have to get the Chocolate Sphere. My husband ate half of mine before he even started on his own :)

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

The staff is wonderful extremely thoughtful. I had a long stay but I felt at home. The rooms are superb, ask for a room with a view of the river the view is brilliant.
The location is very convenient, I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed August 2013
alexandria07
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

We stayed here for a quick getaway to see the Ford Presidential museum across the river. It's a very modern hotel with great views of the river. Service is outstanding and the restaurant/bar was very good. We had a room on the concierge floor which had a lounge area at was quite nice. The rooms are big with nice big windows and great natural light. Bathrooms are very nice and modern - separate shower/tub is nice. While this wasn't a business trip, I do travel a lot and noticed that the room had a ton of plugs for devices and decent wi-fi. All-in-all, this is a great hotel and we'd highly recommend it!

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Rockford, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed on the 15th floor to celebrate our 15th Wedding Anniversary. The room overlooked the river and the North Western Section of Grand Rapids.
A very short walking distance from everything you want to see in Grand Rapids.
The staff were very kind and professional.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to celebrate your wedding anniversary with us! We are always so honored and flattered when guests decide to commemorate a special occasion with a stay here. How fitting that you stayed on the 15th floor on your 15th anniversary! I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay and the walkability of our city. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

White Bear Lake, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I usually stay at really cheap hotels - just a place to lay my head - but in DT GR, the cheap hotels are as much as the nice ones, so I stayed at the JW. Wow.

Beautiful room, beautiful view. Extremely professional staff - maybe a little too much so - I don't think it would hurt for them to tone it down when interacting with someone who is not a business traveler; they were almost intimidating!

I did something here that I've never done before - take a bath in a hotel. The separate tub/shower was great. The tub was a deep soaking tub and the shower had two heads with multiple pressure settings. The bathroom also had two distinct lightings that could be used separately or together. It was really spa-like!

The entry of the room had a wardrobe with robes and automatic lighting. The far end of the wardrobe piece had a room safe, coffee maker and mini-fridge.

I was in a king room with a blah city view (again, being cheap, didn't want to pay the extra for the river view). The windows in the room were HUGE so if I stay again I probably will shell out for a room with a view. The bed had plenty of pillows and was clean but too firm for me (this is a theme in my reviews). The in room lighting was great, with book lights on either end of the headboard.

The free internet worked well, was fast and easy to connect to. The print service did not work so well - I ended up having to email my train ticket to the desk clerk to print it for me.

This was a beautiful property and I would definitely stay here again if I'm in Grand Rapids.

Room Tip: Go for the river side - the picture windows aren't meant for the city view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to JW Marriott Hotel Grand Rapids? Share your experiences!