“Really good airport hotel; great staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #18 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Really good airport hotel; great staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

Due to blizzard hitting southwest Michigan my late night flight was delayed & getting home 35 miles from the airport via taxi was going to be problematic, so I decided to book a room at the airport Springhill Suites for the night & have a friend pick me up the next morning.

I made the reservation around 9pm eastern time while I was still at ORD waiting for the GRR flight. I mentioned my flight was due to arrive around 11:30pm (which actually became 12:30am), and asked about the airport shuttle. They said the shuttle doesn't run that late - but to call them when I arrived, as they have an arrangement with a taxi company where the taxi company will pick me up/take me to the SHS for free . I think the hotel shuttle runs from 5am-11pm, but not totally sure. Check the hotel website.

When I landed I called them & they said to give it 5 minutes, and then walk to the cab area outside & a cab would be waiting for me. As I exited the airport entrance, there was a stand for the taxis wand she directed me to the taxi. The SHS is a couple of miles from the airport; took very little time. I tipped the cab driver, as he helped me w/ all the luggage

Walked inside & FDC warmly welcomed me by name/how was the taxi. The FDC knew I was tired, and said to leave the bellcart in the hallway outside my room & she'd pick it up later/no need to bring it back down. Very nice of her.

My room was 335, which it turns out is a handicapped-accessible room. I didn't really realize it until the next morning, as I was really tired. I just thought wow - there's a lot of room in this room/really spacious. I was so tired when I got to the room that I thought there was a spa shelf in the tub, but it's actually a seat for someone to sit on & there were also grip bars in the tub & next to the toilet. Paul Mitchell toiletries.

It's the old style SHS room in terms of furnishings. At check-out the FDC mentioned they'll be renovating later this year.

Given how close to the airport & to the freeway the SHS was, I was pleasantly surprised that it was really quiet/no noise. Even the room fan was quiet, and the black-out curtains were effective.

The SHS is very close to the 28th Street/I-96 exit & behind a Target store. 28th Street has a lot of restaurants/bars, and there's a shopping mall close by.

I woke up in time to go to the free breakfast downstairs, which is probably typical of SHS breakfasts - oatmeal, eggs (scrambled & hard-boiled), sausage, shredded cheese to put on eggs, yogurts, waffles, juices, bread, bagels, etc. The main dining area was actually a pretty good size,

The dining area also had a bar, which is open from 5pm-11pm. There's also a terminal/printer set-up in one corner of the dining area, so if someone needs to use the internet or print their boarding passes they're able to do so.

While waiting for my friend to pick me up, I wandered around the ground floor & took a look at the health club (basic) & the pool (pool, hot tub & area w/ multiple tables/chairs). Both the pool & the hot tub had something I hadn't seen at a hotel before, which was a chair/lift device that would allow someone who was elderly or disabled a way to get into the pool/enjoy the water. The FDC said they were a recent installation.

Check-out was easy, and the FDC was quite friendly.

While this was a very short stay it was a good one. I'd recommend this property to others & if I ever have flight delays getting me home too late or don't want to drive in early morning for dawn flights, I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
SarahG884, Public Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time out to give us your feedback. We are so happy that you were pleased with every aspect of your stay. We are due for renovations further on in the year. We will be remodeling our fitness center, lobby area, and breakfast. We are adding accent walls, new lamps and wallpaper to the rooms. I hope we will see you soon!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was traveling by myself before a speech conference and this hotel had it all.....great location, shuttle to the airport, comfortable beds and friendly staff! I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone, especially those people, like myself who are taking an early flight out of town. Everyone you meet goes the extra mile to make sure you feel safe and comfortable.
Thanks to the desk people for giving this directionally challenged Momma a great set of directions to return to Kalamazoo. I used my Marriott points and had a wonderful stay. Loved all the blues and greens that they decorated with and the bed and pillows were out of this world. My room was cleaner than most higher end hotels that I have stayed at. I would definitely stay here again.....

Room Tip: I asked for a quiet room away from elevators because of my early flight and was accommodated nicely...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
SarahG884, Public Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Thank you so much for your response! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us!! We hope the next time you are in the area you think of us and come stay with us again!!
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

6 year old, well maintained property with exercise room, pool and meeting room. One of the SpringHills with optional lobby bar open evenings. Front desk staff was friendly and helpful. Several guests including my wife and I had problems getting key cards to work in room doors. Management is aware of problem and it may well be fixed now. Construction on 28th Street made exit from hotel slow. Staff will instruct you how to exit to the south to avoid possible delay. They have an airport shuttle if you are flying.

Room Tip: Rooms on east side of building afford nice view of wetlands
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
SpringHillGRAirport, Public Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Thank you for the review, were glad you enjoyed your stay! We look forward to seeing you next time your in town!
Traverse City, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

This is my "go-to" hotel when I am in the Grand Rapids area. Smiling, familiar faces, and I am usually recognized when I arrive. Breakfast is good; there is a small bar that serves adult beverages after 5 PM. Fitness center is small but sufficient; if you're wanting to lift weights or just get a little more serious, there is a huge MVP Sportsplex just a couple of miles away. Pool and hot tub are clean, and there are hydraulic chairs for disabled guests who wish to take a dip. There is a Target store within walking distance, along with a Dick's Sporting Goods and a Costco, as well as a Staples and Party City. Also very close by is a Longhorn Steakhouse and numerous other restaurants, malls,etc. This property is situated on busy 28th St., however, it is positioned back about a quarter of a mile, giving it a relatively tranquil setting. It's close enough to the airport, but not so close that you're disturbed by the airline traffic. Behind the hotel is a watershed that contains abundant wildlife, despite the "city" setting. Rooms: clean and spacious typical SpringHill Suites layout. I have never had any trouble at this hotel, and everyone has been more than pleasant. For those of you loyal to Marriott, there is another SpringHill Suites to the north that is also excellent. However, this airport location suits my traveling needs a bit better, and I know my way around the area well. Always look forward to coming back to this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SarahG884, Guest Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We are so happy to hear we are your "go-to" hotel. We love when we can make your experience feel like you are at home. We are glad to hear our fitness center was sufficient for you, for future reference we do offer free passes to a local gym, Centennial Fitness, which is only about a 5 minute drive from our facility. Even with all the businesses on our main stretch, and the airport being so close, we still feel secluded in our own little "island" and we are relived you were able to experience that as well. Thank you for your response, and we can't wait to see you again soon!!
Kinde, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

This is amazing for our 3rd time at this hotel and it was the best. They are so nice and caring and ask you if everything is okay! They take the time out to care about the guest. I know i will be back to this place again. The construction on 28th street was not bad because we took the back way. Its nice to know that hotel you are guest at is so nice. The hot tub was even relaxing. It could use some updating but hey thats how the hotel business is. The breakfast area is bit cramped.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for this great review! We will share it with our team!
Larsen, WI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very impressed with the cleanliness of the hotel and the friendly staff. Every request we made was met with a smile and a polite response. All staff greeted us each morning and each evening which made us feel welcome. I especially liked the ice water that was available 24/7, free daily newspaper, and breakfast. The pool was quite small but there is a hot tub and work out room. Finding the hotel is tricky since it is situated on a service road behind Target.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Americo T, Public Relations Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
We are more than happy to know that you felt welcome by our staff, we try to make our guest feel as comfortable as possible with home gestures. We are glad that you enjoyed all the ameneties included with your stay including the pool fitness room and breakfast. We hope that you return to our facility sometime soon!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here as part of a traveling soccer team. The rooms were great, staff was excellent, and the hotel was very clean. The only complaint was the quality of breakfast. It could be that we had a bunch of kids at one time, but there was not enough food and the wait was a little too long. Overall, this is a nice property, although it is a little difficult to find.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for review on our establisment. We are happy to know that you enjoyed staying at our facility and had a great expirience. We try to keep our facility well mainated and clean for every guest that stays with us. Thank you and we hope you return soon.

Been to SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!