“Pretty Good” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 52 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Milan, Ohio
“Pretty Good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Our family of four stayed here for one night. I did some research prior to booking, we booked a 2 queen suite because the rooms have the partial wall separation - so we can read, watch tv once the kids go to bed. When my husband checked in we were given a handicap suite per my husband's acceptance - he thought it would be the same type of set up as what we booked. Unfortunately, this room was a typical hotel room without any type of wall separation from the bedroom area.

Once we got to the room, I was disappointed the room was not the same as what we booked (no separation). So I called the front desk and explained what I was looking for and wanted to know if we could have our original booking. She informed me that "none of the rooms have any separation from the bedroom area." In looking at the pictures on Trip Advisor and Marriott's web page that clearly is not the case. Not sure if she was a new employee or if I was intentionally lied to. If it were just my husband and I, it wouldn't have been a big deal but the separation is a positive to have when travelling with children.

The positives are that hotel is very clean, modern and updated. Bathroom toiletries were nicer than most hotels in this category. We're originally from the area and knew where it was so there was no issue in finding the property. As many have stated, it's located off 28th St. behind Target/Costco/Dick's. The hotel is very close to the airport, which makes it coonvenient for business travellers.

There is a small patio area to enjoy that overlooks wetlands for warmer months. The indoor pool was the smallest pool I've ever seen at a hotel but the kids still enjoyed it! The fitness center was good with decent equipment. No issues with the WIFI as my husband was able to get a lot of work done. We enjoyed a few Founder's beers (excellent local brewery) from the bar area. Breakfast was your typical hotel included breakfast and was fine. The kids enjoyed the complimentary Krispy Kreme donuts.

If we were in the area again I would probably give this property one more try, however I would verify my room prior to staying.

Room Tip: Handicap rooms do not provide any separation from bedroom area
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Big Rapids, Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I wanted to stay at this hotel. I made a reservation 2 months ahead of my stay. I received confirmation that this hotel was looking forward to my visit 6 days ahead of my stay. I called to again confirm my reservation early week of my stay and all was perfect with my confirmed and guaranteed reservation. At 7 pm when I arrived at said hotel I was informed that I had been "walked" to another lower class hotel because of overbooking. I had a king suite at this hotel and the "new" hotel was a double bed standard room. No explanation was given to why I was "chosen" to be walked over other guests that were arriving later in the evening. I waited and watched as two other guests were given rooms after I was told the hotel was full. I have called and spoken with the manager of the hotel and have not received factual information. STAY AWAY FROM MAKING RESERVATIONS AT THIS HOTEL UNLESS YOU WANT TO FACE BEING "WALKED"!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
SpringHillGRAirport, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to give feedback on your recent expierence at the SpringHill Suites in Grand Rapids. I am sorry you had a bad expierence, we want every guest stay to be as enjoyable as possible. It is unfortunet that we had some water damage at the hotel and had to relocate you to another hotel. We hope that you will come back in the future and try us again.
Poole
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Nice hotel, tucked off the main road so is very quiet, just what was required after a day of work. Whole hotel is immaculate, staff all very friendly. Rooms comfortable and very large. Free wifi which was a bonus. Not tried the gym / pool, think that will be the next trip. My only gripe is the limited selection for breakfast. As nice as it is to make your own waffles, it's not exactly what I was anticipating given my experiences of the brand elsewhere. Since you are on 28th street all the restaurants etc are right on the doorstep, as is the target which this hotel is tucked behind.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights for a soccer tournament. Family of 4 (my husband and I plus our 10 year old and 7 year old sons).

The positive - The front desk assistant was very quick checking us in and apologized for only having a king suite and gave us a rate discount. They also threw the soccer players a pizza party on Saturday night. We didn't go but that was nice of them. The walls are thick enough that you don't hear a lot of noise. The room was clean.

The negative - the bed and especially the sofa bed were the most uncomfortable beds I have ever slept on. The sofa bed had a huge ridge down the middle. You could still feel it even though I put 2 blankets over the mattress. When I called to get more blankets for us to use as blankets, they did not have any, so we had to go to Target to buy some. The comp breakfast was free - that's all I can say about it.

I would definitely try the Holiday Inn or Crowne Plaze if we go back next year.

Room Tip: Only reserve double beds to avoid the sleeper sofa!
Appleton, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed for a single evening in early August. The room we reserved was just what we expected-2 queen beds and a pull out couch. The hotel had a noisy first floor hallway, but that is hardly a surprise. Breakfast was good, refreshed often and staffed by friendly people.
We were surprised that no bed linens nor blankets were available for the pull out couch (we improvised) and the front desk apologized. Still, it is an odd thing for a Marriott to overlook.
This is close to the interstate and airport (but not airplane noisy) and a good choice for a family traveling. The pool looked nice.
Exercise room was a disaster-broken equipment and hardly worth the effort to keep the lights on in the room.

Room Tip: Try a room NOT on the first floor if noise is a concern.
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

After shopping around online quite a bit in this area, I'm happy with our decision to stay here. We got one of queen suites with a sofa bed. The room as very clean and updated. The staff was very friendly and professional. The included breakfast was pretty typical for hotels in this price range. Some people complained about not being able to find the hotel. Just go left right before going into the Target parking lot and follow that street around. Personally, I like not being right on a busy street. To top it all off, this hotel offered a good value when compared to other hotels in this general area. We'll definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed on the third floor. It was very quiet...at least for our stay.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Saline, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

After staying at two other hotels in the same area during an extended weekend trip with my daughter, I booked the Springhill based on reviews and because I wanted something nice for our last night. The room had everything! Plenty of room to sit and relax, use your computer, kitchenette, fridge, separate vanity area. The entire hotel was CLEAN, staff was friendly. Although I didn't visit it, the small bar area was a nice touch. Love that juices, yogurt, milk, were available 24/7 and the free breakfast was great. Super comfortable bed and the heating/AC unit is controlled by a thermostat on the wall and is nice and quiet. Location is convienent to shopping, dining, highways. I just wish we'd stayed here for our entire trip!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to SpringHill Suites Grand Rapids Airport? Share your experiences!